Travelling with Pins

LJC1861

DIS Veteran<br><font color=teal>Suffers from a Tag
Okay Everybody here is a quick report on my experiences.......

On the advice of Continental Airlines I checked my pins. I know that goes against what everyone advises, but I was assured that pins would NOT be allowed on board. They are confiscating ANYTHING with a point on it.

I was also advised to report to the agent when you check your bag that you are carrying large amounts of metal in your bag and to ask for special handling. They asked me what my bag contained and I pointed to the pin I was wearing on my collar and said " Lots of pins like these to collect and trade at WDW" The agent called over another agent and I was taken to a private area and my bag was opened. they did a quick search and were satisfied that my bag was okay. They then tagged it, stamped it and off it went. Everything arrived safe and accounted for.

I did have a junk pin in my carry on just to test the system and sure enough it was spotted and confiscated. The one I was wearing, an American Flag Mickey Icon was not......

Coming back through Orlando was pretty much the same except they did not open my bag and search. Just a special tag on it alerting the authorities that the bag had been checked. I did the junk pin test again and it was confiscated. Again, the one on my collar was not........

Also be adivsed that they are checking bags when you enter the parks. Be prepared to open all pin bags, backpacks, purses, and camera bags.

Any questions, just post or e-mail. All will be answered.

Linda

So does this mean that an exposed pin is ok but a concealed pin is not?
I can see me going thru security with my Disney pin tradeing vest, looking like one of the SuperTraders (long may they be employed) and over 100 non-concealed pins!
Sounds like a good reason to drive instead of fly to WDW next month!

Linda, Are you allowed to lock the luggage that you check? I heard they were cutting locks of suitcases to inspect the contents...

Leslie

Daber- The pin I was wearing was a Mickey Head Icon American flag......I chose it deliberately. Let ANYONE just TRY to tell me that I have to take the American Flag off my collar.........

Leslie--I had heard that they were cutting locks. There are signs all over the airport stating that ALL bags are subject to search. I deliberately did not lock mine. I also asked them to search it with me present if they were going to search it at all. I figure that if you disclose openly what you are carrying you are less suspicious.

I am convinced that all this will pass and in a few weeks, security will lessen a bit. We all just need to be patient and know that this is all for our own safety. Allow lots of extra time and you should be fine.

Linda

To be honest, I am glad that the security is as tight as it is, and hope that it remains so. I will gladly open any of my luggage for search, as I have nothing to hide. I would rather have the inconvenience and slight delay than let someone else get by and do what was done 2 weeks ago! JMHO:)

I agree Eeyore 0062, but I really would like to "carry-on" my pin bag, as I always have after it is x-rayed and "sampled" with the scanning wand. I'm all for enhanced security, but I hope someday they decide that a pin bag full of lapel pins is not dangerous.

Just a word of advice. When you check your pins ask for extra baggage insurance on them. When US Airways lost my 11 y/o sons luggage last summer and his pins were in it they said the pins were not covered under normal lost baggage insurance. A lot of people on this board helped me to "return" to him his most precious rack pins. And for that I am still very grateful. Only one problem. Now yall have just about got me hooked on them also.

Nothing more fun now than working a 12 hour shift and then being dragged kicking and screaming to TDS by a 12 year old addict ooppss sorry I mean a collector to get that weeks pins instead of going to bed:p

Shucks who needs to give a kid an allowance. I just pay him in pins.:earseek: :tongue: :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter