Travelling with a newborn

rob191186

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

Has anyone braved travelling to WDW with a 2/3 month old baby? Would you do it again? Any pointers? We are looking to book a trip for next year but don’t know whether to hold off until “the child” is slightly older 🤣

Hello! Our first trip to WDW with our son was when he was 3. We did a road trip when he was 8 1/2 months old and he cried in his car seat nearly the entire trip. The minute we stopped and he could push his tiny "shopping cart" around he was happy. He was a dependable napper (10 and 2) and an easy baby/child but that first road trip was challenging... It was a long wait, but at 3 he was captivated by MK and EPCOT and we all had a wonderful time. Good luck!

Hi All,

Has anyone braved travelling to WDW with a 2/3 month old baby? Would you do it again? Any pointers? We are looking to book a trip for next year but don’t know whether to hold off until “the child” is slightly older 🤣

6 week old baby - i spent the entire time nursing him..
the trip to WDW was for his older sister.....a present for having a new baby brother..
she was 2 and a half at the time..

Last edited:

Did WDW with a 7 month old she slept most of the way, both ways. WDW itself was a breeze, the facilities are just whats needed.

Earlier the same year we took her to Barcelona at 10 weeks old, the flight home was terrible as the AC in the terminal was broken, she got so hot she cried the whole flight home.

Did regular Long haul with both kids. Our youngest was 8 months when we took her the first time to Disney. Kept the regular routine, she was fine. I think in about 10 Long haul flights with the kids we had one bad one, on the way home from New York, couldn't get her to settle. My eldest was about 3 months when he went on his first flight, I don't remember massive issues. I think up until about 2 and a half, they are passengers on the trip, from 3 they start to get the magic.

In 1989 the Royal Navy flew a group of wives out to spend Christmas with our husbands in Florida where their ship was docked at Jacksonville. One of the wives had given birth while her husband was away and the baby was 6 weeks old and even though it would have been baby's first Christmas they decided to leave the baby with the grandparents in the UK. They had absolutely no regrets and I would have done the same. Why do people insist on taking such young babies to a hot, crowded place and drag it around even when it is hot, tired and cranky? Oh, it makes cute photos for social media. Pardon my cynicism.

In 1989 the Royal Navy flew a group of wives out to spend Christmas with our husbands in Florida where their ship was docked at Jacksonville. One of the wives had given birth while her husband was away and the baby was 6 weeks old and even though it would have been baby's first Christmas they decided to leave the baby with the grandparents in the UK. They had absolutely no regrets and I would have done the same. Why do people insist on taking such young babies to a hot, crowded place and drag it around even when it is hot, tired and cranky? Oh, it makes cute photos for social media. Pardon my cynicism.

Personally I think it's terrible they left a 6 week old baby the other side of the world!

Travelling with a baby that is weeks old would be fine in Florida in lower temperature seasons, November through January would likely be no warmer than a British Summer.

Florida can be very hot and humid in Summer - May to November and a lot of adults don't cope very well with it yet along a new born, plus the parks are on times so crowded. I know when my CM friend gave birth in Florida her doctor advised her to avoid the parks with the baby for the first 4 months as they can be a breeding ground for germs.

If you could put off the trip I would.

I think that if you could postpone the trip for a year or even two, then you will get so much joy from watching your child enjoy WDW for the first time. That short period when they believe that all the characters are real and, well just ‘believe’ is amazing. Unless of course you plan to add more babies to your family. 😉

Personally I think it's terrible they left a 6 week old baby the other side of the world!
In 1989 statutory maternity leave was 6 weeks and paternity leave didn’t exist. Professional women who wanted careers or women whose family relied upon their income (or women who did not want to harm their husband’s careers) did not have the option of saying ‘no’ to employers.

We too did something similar - at about that same time actually. Our babysitter lived with her parents in the same road as us and was doing a college course to get qualified as a professional 'child-minder'. She was always looking for opportunities to 'practice'.
So we left our daughter with her/her parents for a fortnight while we went to Italy. (We even lent them our microwave for warming the formula.) It worked brilliantly.
But that was a different era (and I come from a Royal Navy upbringing). I can imagine the outcry on social media if you did that now.

We too did something similar - at about that same time actually. Our babysitter lived with her parents in the same road as us and was doing a college course to get qualified as a professional 'child-minder'. She was always looking for opportunities to 'practice'.
So we left our daughter with her/her parents for a fortnight while we went to Italy. (We even lent them our microwave for warming the formula.) It worked brilliantly.
But that was a different era (and I come from a Royal Navy upbringing). I can imagine the outcry on social media if you did that now.

We were recently going through old vacation pictures and we came to a bunch with my parents and older brother visiting the US (we're in Canada). After looking at them, I realised that they were from the year I was born (I was born in April and these were from about July). I asked why I wasn't in any of the pictures and my dad told me that they had left me behind with my grandparents.

I've travelled to hot places (inc africa) with 6-12 week olds. For me they were really easy at that age as long as you give yourself lots of time to rest as sleeping at night might be a bit hit or miss. You also might find nursing tiring or time consuming or tricky and stressful. Or you might not, or you might bottle feed. They're pretty portable - can pop them in a baby carrier/sling and some people breastfeed as they walk. Alternatively prams are great for storing stuff. They sleep a lot and when awake get plenty of stimulation from just looking around and listening to their surroundings - so much easier then having a wriggling bundle desperate to get down and to grab everything they see as you might find if you wait.

Of course it goes without saying that the holiday is for the grown ups, if you want to enjoy the child's excitement of Disney then you wait till they're older.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter