Travelling just after moving house

mikki.young

Knows Dreams do come true!
Anyone ever gone to Florida just after moving house? It looks like we might be moving a week or so before we go and I am just wondering about things like passport, driving licence and credit cards as I won't have been able to change the address on the first two at least but will almost certainly have had to on the last! :confused3

Anyone had any experience with this or any tips they can share? :rolleyes1

when changeing driving licence would recomend going to post office to doo documents there as DVLC sent mine back to wrong address. pasport only took 2 weeks to come back. We had problems with DVLC due to fact hous was brand new and not on there post code system,insted of phoneing us to verify but no they sent it to an address in hume manchester.Now every time i fly think i will be stoped at customs for trafficing :rotfl:
Paulh

The only thing I would say is, can you change your dates at all? I only ask because when we last moved our chain collapsed due to someone's holiday! We were given dates originally and all agreed to them but then they were delayed (as always seems to happen when moving ;) ) and one of the families were away for 3 weeks. Someone had a temper tantrum about the delay and pulled out and the whole thing collapsed!

Other than that I would say, what a great time to go away - take your mind off all the stress :)

Miffy2003 said:
The only thing I would say is, can you change your dates at all? I only ask because when we last moved our chain collapsed due to someone's holiday! We were given dates originally and all agreed to them but then they were delayed (as always seems to happen when moving ;) ) and one of the families were away for 3 weeks. Someone had a temper tantrum about the delay and pulled out and the whole thing collapsed!

Other than that I would say, what a great time to go away - take your mind off all the stress :)

We can't change our dates (non-changeable tickets etc) and we have already had lots of delays - just hoping they are over now! Fortunately it's a short chain - just us, our buyers and our vendors.

That's a good tip from Paul about using the Post Office for changing details but from the timings he said it confirms that I won't have time to do it before we go. Just hope it doesn't cause any problems!

I think you are right that we will be very glad to get away after the stress :earseek:

Your passport doesn't have your address so that is no problem and as for Driving Licence if it is so close to the move I would be tempted to leave it as it is until after return. If you have your mail redirected when you move you still comply with legislation re service of summons for any driving offence.
Claire ;)

we have moved so many times over the years (different cities, different countries) that our various addresses have rarely matched......to this day we have multiple addresses....
i just have to remember which address to use on each credit card (on those occasions when an address is required for authorization purposes)....
in fact for years and years i had different names on my various cards and IDs......my drivers license, passport and various credit cards didn't match...
in the US at least, it didn't make a difference to anyone....and the different addresses i have now, also don't matter to them....

We have done it! We were meant to move house just before going to Florida, but the chain got delayed and one point it looked like we would be moving while in Florida!! Luckily we moved a few weeks after coming back in the end, but we phoned my in-laws nearly every day to find out if contracts had been exchanged. We lost out on our removeal costs as we forgot to take out the cancellation insurance. So make sure you do that!

We just flew home this morning and apart from being totally exhausted and desparate for bed, i just want to get another trip planned!! But guess what - we moved house on the 11th November and flew down on the 17th for our Virgin flight the following morning. It was great to leave all the stress behind for a couple of weeks and i guess that it was better doing it this way round, but had a hassle with my credit card as a recent change of address and spending in the US caused Visa to block the card, which was really distressing until sorted out. Managed to get over it though!! The only other down side i can see, for me is that 6 days at the new house was not long enough to settle in and i have to do it all over again.
The one tip i would give, is to let credit card company know you are going abroad - it slipped my mind and caused a lot of stress. Good luck with your move and have a great trip.

LJP said:
The one tip i would give, is to let credit card company know you are going abroad - it slipped my mind and caused a lot of stress. Good luck with your move and have a great trip.
Always done this,would recomend to anyone going on holiday
Paulh

paulh said:
Always done this,would recomend to anyone going on holiday
Paulh

yes, it's good advice...i always forget to do this, but american express always ends up calling me at some point during our stay at WDW....all those huge holiday charges hitting all at once (and i only use that card when i'm travelling, so they see a huge change right away)..
i'm happy to get their call.....
but AMEX has never frozen my account....perhaps if they weren't able to get hold of me for more than a day they would...i don't know.....
on the other hand, i know that Visa does freeze accounts in cases of possible loss prevention......
I never use my Visa card when we're traveling but my mom does....and it never fails that they freeze her card until she can have a chat with them and let them know that she's overseas.......

Thank you all - much weight off mind! House move now gone into overdrive and it looks as though we will exchange tomorrow and move on 16 December so it's now a mad rush. :rotfl2: So we will have a couple of days before Christmas and a week after to get the new place organised before going away and relaxing. Can't wait to move really as we are moving out of London and upsizing and downpricing! We even get a bit of river frontage - if anyone's interested here are the details:
http://www.remax-properties.co.uk/viewproperty.asp?bid=4&pid=416

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter