Travelling every other year - managing points

Ruttangel

BCV AKV BWV VGF DVC Owner
So, I have a contract pending at AKL, with 290pts coming in Feb'20 and then 160 each year after that and I'm already thinking of spending them!435432
We live in the UK and flights are expensive so we will come every other year. I understand banking/borrowing but I think I have some small points that i would lose, i'll attach my workings - when I put use, I mean book for the next year (so use in 2020 is for a trip in Aug 2021).

Can someone see if this all makes sense and that I would lose 4 points in 2023 and 1 in 2025
If you come every 2 years is it always better to just use up your allocation fully so that you don't lose/have to rent points out?

by the way, here are the resorts I would like to book in Dream season (if available)

As it is that they were banked already, those 4 2022 UY points would need to be used prior to the end of your 2023 UY. Subsequently 2024 would actually have only 160 points banked into it from 2023 and you would have to borrow 3 points from 2025.

ETA: and to further your confusion, your usage dates need to change to align with your points, for example, your BCV/PVB/AKL stays are actually using 2020 points as your stay would fall within your 2020 UY. VGF/BWV/AKL should fall within your 2022 UY, and so on, regardless of the calendar year dates of your stay.

Last edited:
Yes if you don’t use banked points in the following UY you will indeed loose them. While your spreadsheet is accurate now I expect points required will change over the years and you haven’t accounted for that. You will probably have to band and also borrow.

And, you are budgeting for getting club level at AKV during your stays. There are only a handful of those villas, and the competition is fierce. Not sure I would plan my point usage around getting one of those every visit.

Ignoring availability (book home eleven months out, if you can switch to any other resort, consider yourself lucky, club level VAKL is nearly impossible even if you own there, getting VGF or BCV is not 100% if you don't own there)...every trip use all your banked points (say 2019), and all your current year points (say 2020)and however many borrowed points (2021) you need for your 2020 use year trip Then bank the remaining 2021 points. For your 2022 use year trip use all banked 2021 points, all 2022 points, and whatever 2023 points you need to borrow. Bank the 2023 points into 2024. In 2024 use the banked 2023 points, the 2024 points and whatever 2025 points you need.......etc.

Looks like you’re also budgeting for BWV std. view studios. Those are another hard to get reservation at 7 months. Not as impossible as AKV CL or value view studios, but difficult and it should not be counted on.

As I have AKL as home resort I could hope for club level at 11 months for 5 days and book studio for 10 days, hoping to swap the 10 days for BC or BW at 7 months, not a disaster if I can’t as we love AKL and Poly would get us to Epcot pretty good.

I don’t agree with walking reservations but I could do that to get club level

How likely am I to get the following in 2021?
AKL Club Studio for 5 days 08/16-21
Poly Studio for 5 days 08/21-26
Beach 2Br for 5 days 08/26-31

AKL is my home resort
I checked Skierpete’s chart but 2Br not yet on there yet and I’m not sure how realistic this will be
Do you give me a 5% chance, 50% or higher?

I think getting Poly at 7 months will be doable. I think getting AKV CL will be possible but with so few, you’ll have to be quick at exactly 8 am 11 months out.

I think your chances at 7 months, for the Beach Club are pretty good as southern schools are back in session.

For all of them, you may need to do some waitlisting or checking the website to get it, but that time of year isn’t too bad at this point.

How likely am I to get the following in 2021?
AKL Club Studio for 5 days 08/16-21
Poly Studio for 5 days 08/21-26
Beach 2Br for 5 days 08/26-31

AKL is my home resort
I checked Skierpete’s chart but 2Br not yet on there yet and I’m not sure how realistic this will be
Do you give me a 5% chance, 50% or higher?

For AKV Club, you would need to walk it. Or put it on a waitlist. I know when I rented, an owner booked standard view for me and waitlisted club level, which came through about a week later (3 nights)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!