Traveling with my service dog in training

MeganMango

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I'm coming back to Disney in a few weeks. I've been training my dog to be my service dog and he will be accompanying me on this trip. He is 17 pounds. We have done some public access training and he can perform a few tasks for me, however, I am a bit worried about the walking distance/cement heat.

My other little dog has a stroller that my service dog in training would fit in and am thinking about making use of this if during the most busy parts of Disney (arrival, exiting the park) because I am concerned he will get stepped on.

Am I able to leave my stroller somewhere during most of the day at a park? Am I allowed to bike lock it to anywhere so it doesn't get stolen since I won't be using it most of the day? Just upon arrival and exiting?

You can leave it in any stroller parking area.
You cannot lock it to anything except itself.
Have you considered booties and just not entering/editing with the masses?

You can leave it in any stroller parking area.
You cannot lock it to anything except itself.
Have you considered booties and just not entering/editing with the masses?

Def will have our booties on us! That was just so I can let his feet sweat and get a break from wearing them.

as the PP said you can not lock your stroller to anything ( I have seen CM cut a strollers from things before) and if you have it some where all day there will be a good change this will happen.

I would take boots or get some gel for his feet, When I find the one we have I will post it. works ok but you have to replay it and if the dog is used to is then it really is not the bad.

This is similar to what I use with my dog. https://www.amazon.com/All-Season-S...498853309&sr=8-11&keywords=pet+paw+protection

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm coming back to Disney in a few weeks. I've been training my dog to be my service dog and he will be accompanying me on this trip. He is 17 pounds. We have done some public access training and he can perform a few tasks for me, however, I am a bit worried about the walking distance/cement heat.

My other little dog has a stroller that my service dog in training would fit in and am thinking about making use of this if during the most busy parts of Disney (arrival, exiting the park) because I am concerned he will get stepped on.

Am I able to leave my stroller somewhere during most of the day at a park? Am I allowed to bike lock it to anywhere so it doesn't get stolen since I won't be using it most of the day? Just upon arrival and exiting?

I would be concerned that the dog would not be able to provide the service it is being trained for if kept in a stroller? Is it one of those mesh cage ones?

I would be concerned that the dog would not be able to provide the service it is being trained for if kept in a stroller? Is it one of those mesh cage ones?

Service dog is still in training.

Also, it is just for exiting and entering the parks so he doesn't get trampled.

So yes, during the other 8 or however many hours during the day, he will still be able to provide service outside of that.

Also, especially since he's still in training, I'm not going to work him ALL day long. So I will be allowing him breaks. Shouldn't concern anyone but me.

It can be just as if not more crowded in the parks then out of them so please keep this in mind, and have a plane if this happens you best bet might be to be in some kind of line where you can have some room between you and the son in front of you, if you are going with others this could help a lot

If you haven't already, I suggest doing some training at a local theme park or zoo, somewhere with crowds and hot pavement. WDW is likely more crowded and hotter pavement in Orlando, but it will give both you and the dog a chance to test the idea. Not every service dog is suited for the kind of conditions it will encounter at WDW.

Enjoy your vacation!

Service dog is still in training.

Also, it is just for exiting and entering the parks so he doesn't get trampled.

So yes, during the other 8 or however many hours during the day, he will still be able to provide service outside of that.

Also, especially since he's still in training, I'm not going to work him ALL day long. So I will be allowing him breaks. Shouldn't concern anyone but me.

As he is in training, would he be allowed in the parks when he is not being trained? According to Florida law:

(8) Any trainer of a service animal, while engaged in the training of such an animal, has the same rights and privileges with respect to access to public facilities and the same liability for damage as is provided for those persons described in subsection (3) accompanied by service animals.

from this website : http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ing=&URL=0400-0499/0413/Sections/0413.08.html

Not saying you shouldn't bring him, but be prepared to be questioned with a dog in a stroller. It could be said that he is not in training when in the stroller, etc. and not be allowed in. The sole purpose of allowing a dog in training into public areas is for training.

As he is in training, would he be allowed in the parks when he is not being trained? According to Florida law:

(8) Any trainer of a service animal, while engaged in the training of such an animal, has the same rights and privileges with respect to access to public facilities and the same liability for damage as is provided for those persons described in subsection (3) accompanied by service animals.

from this website : http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ing=&URL=0400-0499/0413/Sections/0413.08.html

Not saying you shouldn't bring him, but be prepared to be questioned with a dog in a stroller. It could be said that he is not in training when in the stroller, etc. and not be allowed in. The sole purpose of allowing a dog in training into public areas is for training.

Per the ADA I do believe animals are allowed to be in something that you brought, as long as it's not a cart in a store, etc.

However I will do more research. If that is the law, which I'm pretty sure it's not, I'll use a chest pack to keep him off the ground when entering/exiting

Per the ADA I do believe animals are allowed to be in something that you brought, as long as it's not a cart in a store, etc.

However I will do more research. If that is the law, which I'm pretty sure it's not, I'll use a chest pack to keep him off the ground when entering/exiting

ADA does not cover dogs in training.

I have seen other service dogs in training in strollers
ADA does not cover dogs in training.

Florida state laws do though.

I have seen other service dogs in training in strollers
Then there's the challenge of how much service can the animal provide from a stroller? Using a stroller or even a chest pack gives the definite appearance that the service animal is being treated as a child or pet, rather than a need.

I think you are too focused on potential crowds. Instead, enter early, enter late, enter at an end two point because crowds tend to congregate in the middle...

If you haven't already, I suggest doing some training at a local theme park or zoo, somewhere with crowds and hot pavement. WDW is likely more crowded and hotter pavement in Orlando, but it will give both you and the dog a chance to test the idea. Not every service dog is suited for the kind of conditions it will encounter at WDW.

Enjoy your vacation!
I agree with this.
How old will he be and how far along is his training will he be at the time of your trip?
I would plan he might be exhausted after a few hours, especially if he's young, fairly early in training or doesn't have experience in crowds or the amount of stimuli he will get at WDW.
My daughter's service dog has not been to WDW, but the first few times we brought him on a shopping mall plus restaurant trip, he was totally wiped out and he would not have been able to work even the next day. All the sounds, smells and different things required a lot of energy and concentration.

We use a type of wax called "Musher's Wax" for paw protection for both heat and cold

My biggest concern is the heat. Have you been to WDW lately? The parks are very!! crowded and it's extremely hot (until the end of October). It would be a lot for a dog to experience. As others have said maybe try a park or zoo near your house or if you want have him experience a heavy crowd try Disney Springs at night so you and your service dog won't have to deal with the heat.

It also matters what color the dog is. Black dogs will get hotter faster, just because of the color of his coat.

I know there is a kennel on property (I have used it), which you would need a cab or Uber to get to. You may want to be prepared to give him a day or two off over the course of your trip. When it was located near Magic Kingdom, service dogs could stay for no or low cost. Now it is across from Port Orleans, and operated by an outside company. You may want to contact them and find out, especially if he is totally wiped out one day.

Florida law does allow service dogs in training in the parks (and elsewhere in public) as long as they follow the same rules as training service dogs (i.e. well behaved, quiet unless alerting as part of a task, using appropriate relief areas, etc). I am not sure where your dog is in the training process, but if you are not convinced that the new dog can follow all the rules, Disney may be over the top.

I have seen people with service dogs in strollers before, but they are performing tasks that can be done from that stroller, such as a hearing alert dog.

Even if you do not use the stroller, I would make sure you have a vest/collar/tag/something that says "service dog" or "service dog in training." It helps make things more clear, especially for a small dog.

It is possible that you would not be allowed to bring the stroller into any lines, just like people strollers. While you might be able to argue that it is needed for medical reasons, but you could have a hard time doing that, and there is only so many times a day you want to have that argument. So you should be prepared to need to take the dog out of a stroller for all lines and queues.

You should also double check the list before you go of what rides can have a service dog and which cannot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter