Traveling with Engagement Ring?

Spring Bottom

Earning My Ears
Dopeynme posted in another thread exactly what I've been trying to tackle planning wise...

I agree with the previous posters that you should not do a stand-in ring.

DF and I got engaged in Yellowstone national Park. He was nervous about flying with the ring.....lost in the luggage or I would see it during security screening.....so he did not bring it...

I would hate for airport security to ruin a once in a lifetime surprise, or even worse, loose it in my luggage!

So I'm asking DISers what experience do you have traveling with an Engagement ring, and how did you or your fiance do it?

I can't speak for actually traveling with an engagement ring. But I work for TSA (airport security). Safest bet would be put it in your carry-on. There are several times we see the ring in a rolled sock (a place the DF would not look)

Reason I would not put it in your checked luggage, chances are high (especially during the busy summer season) your luggage could miss the flight. I wouldn't take a chance on the luggage not making it and having proposal plans somewhat ruined since the ring is some where in Arizona. At least you know your carry-on is with you.

My fiance has a pouch that goes around his neck for hiss passport, money and stuff, and that's where he kept it before and during the flight.

DH kept the ring in his carry on. As an extra precaution, he conspired with my dad (we were going to WDW with my family when he proposed) to make sure I went through security first, and DH went last. That way if by chance security did examine his bag further, I would already be out of the way and wouldn't see anything.

My fiance travelled with the box inside the pouch on his hoodie...he just carried the hoodie, didn't wear it until he proposed...at which point he was freezing...:rotfl: (I wondered at one point why he took his hoodie to the bathroom, but I was still oblivious)

He put the hoodie through the security check, and said the security person looked at him, kind of smiled, but no searching or questions...

Another idea, maybe put the ring inside your wallet, without the box, and then put the box inside your carry-on, I've heard this somewhere!

Hope we have helped! Good Luck! and early Congratulations!

My Honey-Bunny had the ring in his camera bag....

I poked around in there the first day and asked what else would fit besides a camera...he had his hand over the flap that was over the box.

A zealous Disney security guard almost found it right before he proposed!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

BTW tink143---we are neighbors....I'm over near 290.

My managed to bring it home from NYC in his backpack which I carried into the house, hide it in a drawer for two weeks (we lived together) get it back in his backpack, on a plane through security - which was fine, into his ski pants (yes he skied ALL DAY in Colorado with a diamond ring in his pants), out of his ski pants, and then into is jacket pocket with no issues or me finding out. He even stored my book in his backpack on the plane and he just was very "helpful" when asking me if I needed my book.

Like others have mentioned, I wouldn't check it, but I don't think you should have any problem carrying it on the plane in your carry-on luggage. My grandmother has traveled with jewelry for years and knock on wood, hasn't ever had any problems. Even if they search your carry on they are not allowed to remove it from your site.

Thanks all for the recommendations!

I'm less worried about it being stolen as I am her seeing the ring and ruining the surprise!

I did think of something, since we're flying Southwest they dont offer reserved seats, you have to get to the gate and get a boarding pass. My thinking is to have her give me her carry on, and send her through security with no bag and ask her to get in line for said boarding pass while I deal with the bags. I may look like a pack mule, but hopefully with tips from you guys (like inside a pair of socks! I've even come up with a story of why I would have socks, I'll wear sandals on the plane, and carry a pair of sneakers with me, thus needing socks) I will be able to keep the surprise.

Hey that's cool to hear...a Dis Bride that's actually close to me! :woohoo: My fiance's bread route is out on 290 (Waller/Hempstead area)

I will be here in Copperfield (if ya know where that is) for a little bit longer...

MOVING to him in ILLINOIS, as we met HERE on the DISBOARDS!!!!

:dance3: :bride: :dance3:

Thanks all for the recommendations!

I'm less worried about it being stolen as I am her seeing the ring and ruining the surprise!

I did think of something, since we're flying Southwest they dont offer reserved seats, you have to get to the gate and get a boarding pass. My thinking is to have her give me her carry on, and send her through security with no bag and ask her to get in line for said boarding pass while I deal with the bags. I may look like a pack mule, but hopefully with tips from you guys (like inside a pair of socks! I've even come up with a story of why I would have socks, I'll wear sandals on the plane, and carry a pair of sneakers with me, thus needing socks) I will be able to keep the surprise.

Best of luck Spring Bottom...it will be fabulous!!!

Ya'll will laugh about all the planning later!

We had a perfect day on our engagement day after several failed attempts. (ex. Ghir--too crowded, I am terrified of heights and wouldn't go out on the observation deck at the CG).

Did you know that you can check in online for Southwest? If you do, you will both have A tickets. I don't know about your airport, but you can't go through security at any airport that I've been to in the past few years without a boarding pass. You need to check in and get the boarding pass, then go through security to get to the gate.

I do know that my DH carried my ring onto the plane via his carryon, and had no questions asked. After that, where he kept it, I have no idea. All he will tell me is that he gave it to Tink, and when the time was right, she brought it to him. :tinker: It's sweet that he doesn't want to ruin the magic, but it drives me CRAZY not to know the details. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter