Traveling with a soft-sided cooler

MaryKatesMom

DIS Veteran
I've posted a similiar thread over on the DCL board because I'm thinking of purchasing a rolling soft sided cooler for my cruise. I got the idea from the DCL disboard but most people traveled with it as a checked bag. Now with the new rule on one bag I was curious what everyone was going to do with them.

Someone mentioned they use theirs as a carry-on which I thought was a fabulous idea BUT I went to the USairways sight to double check the carry-one dimensions and here it is:

Carry-on baggage
You are allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, briefcase, laptop or diaper bag. Carry-on baggage must be stowed in carry-on compartments of the aircraft, under a seat, or in an overhead compartment.
Size requirements
US Airways: Up to 51 inches/129 cm (11x14x26 inches or 28x35x66 cm).
US Airways Express: Up to 45 inches/114 cm (19x15x11 inches or 48x38x28 cm).

11 inches arcross isn't pretty deep but on thinking about it I'm sure I see a lot of bags that don't fit those dimensions.

If it is bigger than the 11 inches but smaller than 26 will they let it slide? Can I yellow tag it at the door no problem if I don't want to drag it into the cabin? Can I plan on just yellow tagging it or if it is to big will they make me pay another $25? Will they be harder on the carry-on's now that checked bags are more restrictive?

Just trying to work this out so I'm looking for thoughts and comments.

Getting on the plane may only be part of your worry. Most cruises carrying large amounts of outside beverages on the ship. What constitute as an unacceptable amount varies from company to company. You might want to check with your cruise line rep

DCL is pretty liberal about it but you can no longer check it like luggage. You also can't carry ice on the ship but can take a cooler full of beverages.

Yes.
The measurements (in parenthesis) are examples.
The overall linear measurement has to be within the total - 51" or 45" inches - restriction.
Technically, you could bring a 17" x 17" x 17" cooler - except that it may also need to actually fit in the framework at the gate, and therefore in the overhead compartment.

Yes.
The measurements (in parenthesis) are examples.
The overall linear measurement has to be within the total - 51" or 45" inches - restriction.
Technically, you could bring a 17" x 17" x 17" cooler - except that it may also need to actually fit in the framework at the gate, and therefore in the overhead compartment.

If it doesn't fit they'll just take it and give it back to me after the flight, correct?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter