Traveling With A 1 Year Old - Anyone Done This? Suggestions?

vgates81

Mom Of A Prince & Princess
I will be traveling next May with a 6 year old boy and my soon to be born daughter who will be about a year old at the time. Has anyone had expereience traveling with a very young toddler 11-14 months or so?

Also does the cruise line have cribs you can rent or should I buy a portable crib to just bring along?

I have cruised with a one year old twice and once with an 8 month old.

They will set up a Pack and Play in your room for you (I am not sure about an acutal crib--we coslept at that age).

As long as you are willing to follow the baby's lead you should have a great time. We did use Flounders so we could go to Palo, but other than that we all stayed together.

Have a great time!
Christy

Many people suggest the early dining, but our experience was the opposite. There was always so much to do during the day, we could hardly get a nap in for my 1 year old nephew. If we had the late dining, he could have slept longer if we had needed to.

When we took our 14mo on a 4 day "test" cruise, we found ourselves spending alot of time in the cabin and our days didn't start til 3 o'clock.

Typical day:
1. Wake up
2. Get everyone ready
3. Go to Breakfast.
Breakfast would take at least an hour WITH A BUFFET because DS was learning to feed himself at that age.
4. Take a walk around the deck of the ship.
5. Return to cabin for DS to take a morning nap.
6. Wake up
7. Get everyone ready
8. Go to Lunch.
Lunch would take at least an hour WITH A BUFFET because DS was learning to feed himself at that age.
9. Take a walk around deck of the ship.
10. Return to cabin for DS to take an afternoon nap.
11. Wake up
12. Get everyone ready
13. Start your day (about 3 o'clock)
Now we can do things like check out a movie, go ashore, etc.

My DD first cruise- she was 13 months. Had the DCL supplied pack & play (I think they even had little blankets, but you can bring the favorite). She could have been off formula but wasn't. I also extended the breast feeding until just after that so there was a ready source if she wanted something. It was also good for me b/c I could eat more and not feel guilty. Bottles for the supplement were a bit of a pain (put a bag of ice in the "cooler" box & it will stay cold) but I also didn't have to fly (live in Orlando). Stroller: brought a good umbrella stroller so it could be folded (I had one that would recline). Last cruise I was on we took granddaughter (and her parents)-yes my children are widely spaced. she was 10 months and still with some baby food- that was hard to pack esp (all of those little jars) since they live in California and had to fly in. Their stroller was much bigger than mine (probably more comfortable)ut a storage issue). You might not be able to do without bottles (or mom) but if baby can be on mostly table food it would help. Don;t worry about the mess inthe Dining room- the staff is used to it (I apologized at the start of our first meal for the mess my DD was going to make the whole trip & the CM said "Madam, this is Disney" (but you can tip accordingly). Many people suggest a cat 7 or up for the balcony for mom & dad to be on while baby naps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter