Traveling with 10 year old and grandparents

Amanda Hendricks

Earning My Ears
We're traveling in May 2018 with my parents and our 10 year old daughter. I'm trying to figure out the best strategy in terms of hotel, meals and tickets and I'd love some feedback!

My parents won't likely spend as much time in the parks as we will but they'll still go. With that said, I'd like a nice enough (moderate level) resort for them to spend their down time in.

Meal-wise, we'll typically eat together so I'll need to plan out what days they will/won't be in a park so I don't get stuck with a reservation in a park on a day they don't have a ticket.

Open to any and all advice and tips!!

Why don't you ask them?

I think that's going to be necessary in terms of picking out a resort they'll like. And ADRs.

You can always cancel ADRs and despite what most people make it sound like, it's really not tricky to get an ADR at the vast majority of Wdw restaurants. It's just hard to get reservations at a select few.

You'll definitely want to pick your park days though, mostly based on whenbyou can conveniently schedule the fast passes for the rides that everyone wants to ride together. So again, that's something you need to talk to your family about.

We're traveling in May 2018 with my parents and our 10 year old daughter. I'm trying to figure out the best strategy in terms of hotel, meals and tickets and I'd love some feedback!

My parents won't likely spend as much time in the parks as we will but they'll still go. With that said, I'd like a nice enough (moderate level) resort for them to spend their down time in.

Meal-wise, we'll typically eat together so I'll need to plan out what days they will/won't be in a park so I don't get stuck with a reservation in a park on a day they don't have a ticket.

If you want to stay in a moderate, I would suggest looking at POR and POFQ (they are sister resorts and share amenities). The grounds are beautiful and there is a boat to Disney Springs. The other mods (other than Ft. W which I wouldn't suggest if you are looking to book 2 rooms), CSR and CBR are undergoing major construction, so I wouldn't recommend them if you or your parents will spend a lot of time at the resort.

We did an extended family trip (grandparents and 10 and 12 year old children) a few years back and I always planned 1 TS meal per day for a chance for us all to be together as the kids and grandparents were definitely touring the parks at different paces. I would definitely plan out your days and which parks you will visit and then ask your parents on which days they will join you in the parks so you can decide if you want a TS inside or outside the parks.

How old are your parents? Are they fairly young and fit or older with some stamina/mobility issues? Will you have a car?

I would look at POFQ or POR. As a Nana, I loved POFQ for both size and ambiance, but your parents may like a larger resort. I suggest that you ask them what is important to them in terms of downtime so you have a better idea what to look for. CBR and CSR are both under construction right now, so depending on your travel dates, you may want to consider those two resorts as a "last resort."

I also would think about an Epcot resort if the budget allows. There is a lot to do there, especially in the evening. The Boardwalk is bustling all day long, and the proximity to the WS is almost priceless for folks who might just like to meander rather than full on tour. This park is my favorite for a lazy day, or for a few hours of quiet exploration.

As to dinners, I plan my resort and my park days before I plan meals. I know that there are those who plan meals based on preference and tehn try to make their parks days works around them, but that strategy can backfire when you are traipsing from one end of WDW to another just for a meal, and then do it all over again after dinner.

Can you share your parents interests adn how their mobility is, as well as what your DD may like? When my DGD was 10 we booked the BC for all of us, and it turned out that she missed POFQ so much we took a ride there just for lunch and beignets. GO figure.

We are taking an extended family trip next year too. My grandson will be 10 at the time. We really need much more information. What are everyone's expectations of the trip. That will definitely determine most plans. The grandkids have never been, but we go every year so we will let them set the tone. Do they want us around the whole time? Do the want to stop for sit down meals or keep on the go for cs meals.

We are renting a large off site house so we will have our own pool and downtime space to come back to. If everyone is on a different schedule we will just use uber. That is what our other DD, DS do. DH and I stayed on-site last year and dh said never again. He missed our own pool and room to spread out. Lots of things to think about.

We are going with my parents next year (so 4 adults and 2 kids total) and rented a 2 bedroom at BWV. I like it because it is a lockoff so they have their own space when needed, but we also will have the full kitchen for breakfast and dinner (we go back to the resort for afternoon break). My parents looked at the price difference between the tickets and decided it was worth an extra $xx to have the option to go everyday, even if only for a few hours. Your parents may also decide the same.

Our trips to Disney are usually multigenerational and planning is key! We have one grandparent that wants (and can) do everything and the other that wants to take it more at a leisurely pace. The grandparent staying behind will take the morning at the resort and then meet us for lunch at the parks. I try to plan the next couple of hours after lunch to be on the less hectic side so he can enjoy some of the park with the grandkids (think fastpasses, sit-down/AC attractions, etc). He will then head back to the hotel and then return to meet us for dinner and stay for the nighttime entertainment. I try to maximize their time with the grandkids while still ensuring that my kids are loving every minute. If you can, I would recommend looking into a villa... it allows you all to be together while enjoying your own space. Plus, we've realized the deluxe resorts seem more relaxing and have less hustle-bustle than the moderates. Absolutely love watching the joy from my parents as they experience Disney with their grandchildren. Such wonderful memories!!

Perhaps you might consider renting DVC points and getting a 2 BR villa? I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that a 2 BR at OKW or SSR would be roughly the same price as 2 moderate rooms. We're DVC owners and always got a 2 BR when my parents came with us. Having grandma and grandpa right there in the same room was awesome, plus we had the added bonus of them being happy to babysit a night or two so DH & I could have a date night.

Also, you'd have a full kitchen (we ate most breakfasts in the villa so we could get to the parks early) and a washer/dryer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter