Traveling to Canada with OTC meds & supplements

Ravenne

Queen is never late everyone else is simply early
I take several (6 to be exact but could in theory get away with 4 or 5) OTC vitamins & supplements per dr's orders, but because they're OTC, I don't have a doctor's note or anything for it. I buy them in bulk from Costco and Amazon so the bottles are huge, and not exactly the most feasible to travel with. Would I have any issues going through Canadian customs with them in a pill case, not in their original bottles, if I wrote down what each is?

I plan on taking my Rx in their original bottles.

I would not recommend bringing any of them in a pill case. I suggest that you buy smaller packages for the occasion because they could get confiscated + other potential trouble.

While I travel domestically with OTC and prescription pills in pill sorters, I would never go through customs with medications or supplements not in their original containers. I agree with mevelandry. Buy smaller packages for your trip.

Last edited:
Here is a link to Health Canada's article on importing drugs (scroll down to "Personal Use Importations")

This is probably the pertinent information:
Individuals are permitted to import a single course of treatment or a 90-day supply based on the directions for use, whichever is less, of an Over the Counter Drug.

The drug must be for the individual’s own personal use or for the use of a person for whom they are responsible and with whom they are travelling.

The drug must be shipped/carried in one of the following:

• Hospital or pharmacy dispensed packaging;
  • Original retail packaging; or
  • have the original label affixed to it which clearly indicates what the health product is and what it contains.

For a different opinion -- I always put my OTC vitamins and supplements in individual clear ziplock baggies. I label each baggie (with a white address label) with the name, strength, lot #, expiry date and NPN (natural product number). I'm Canadian and I've done this on dozens of trips to the US and Europe. It's never been an issue for me. I keep them all together in my checked luggage.

For actual OTC medications (Tylenol, Benadryl etc) I do keep those in their original bottles and will usually buy a smaller size just for travel.

Vitamins and supplements are not technically "drugs" which is why they have a NPN and not a DIN (drug identification number). Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had trouble. If you're going to do it I would recommend identifying the vitamins/supplements in some manner -- I'm not sure that I'd use a pill case.

Just my two cents.

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had trouble.

Same with us. DH traveled the world over half the year from 2009 to 2016 and the ONLY countries he ever had even a moment of question was Singapore (obviously, but it was still no problem) and Australia (because he had a prescription injectable drug that's totally illegal there except with prescription...he had the box with the rx label on it, and it hadn't been opened yet, so it was no trouble at all).

OTC stuff wasn't a worry at all.

OTC items should be no problem whatsoever. In fact, I never carry my prescription meds in original containers and no issues whatsoever with 5 cruises.

For a different opinion -- I always put my OTC vitamins and supplements in individual clear ziplock baggies. I label each baggie (with a white address label) with the name, strength, lot #, expiry date and NPN (natural product number). I'm Canadian and I've done this on dozens of trips to the US and Europe. It's never been an issue for me. I keep them all together in my checked luggage.

For actual OTC medications (Tylenol, Benadryl etc) I do keep those in their original bottles and will usually buy a smaller size just for travel.

Vitamins and supplements are not technically "drugs" which is why they have a NPN and not a DIN (drug identification number). Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had trouble. If you're going to do it I would recommend identifying the vitamins/supplements in some manner -- I'm not sure that I'd use a pill case.

Just my two cents.

This is what I do, as the bottles my vitamins/supplements come in are too large for travel (even the smallest size that can be bought) and some of them are glass which is just downright unsafe for travel.

Vitamins/supplements in individual clear Ziploc (I find the snack size work well), with a printed address label with the supplement's info. No mixing of supplements -- so the Citracal go in their bag, the vitamin C goes in its bag. Since I have quite a few, I have also gone onto the manufacturer's websites and copied the label information and made 4x6 cards that I print onto photo paper -- 1 for each supplement. Those cards are carried in the same container as the Ziplocs with the supplements. I have never been asked, but the info is there if needed.

Actual OTC meds I also buy a smaller sized container just for travel so they are in their original container [if pills in a blister pack, I will take the sheet out and cut the front of the box of and slide it in the ziploc holding the sheet].

Rx meds I will get the pharmacy to give me an extra labeled smallest-possible bottle for each med for travel -- they do this free. I now have one of each for each Rx med (that is in pill form) and I just refill it from the larger bottles when I travel.

I then bring an EMPTY pill sorter (Dosett, but there are many brands) and when I get to my destination I fill it; for longer trips I refill it partway through the trip.

Note: I make sure all supplements, OTC meds, and Rx meds I travel with are legal to bring into the country I am visiting [and then back home]. Different countries have different rules, and it can apply to supplements or OTC or Rx meds. e.g. what is OTC in one country may require an Rx in another country. A supplement you can buy off the shelf in one country may be outright illegal in another. And some countries have very specific rules about some Rx meds or meds in certian forms (e.g. injectibles/syringes) where they may not be allowed to be imported at all, or there you may have to get advance permission. Sometimes a country will let a resident of another country bring in a medication for personal use but subject it to quantity limits; this is especially the case if a med is OTC in one country but Rx in the destination. Never assume just because a supplement or medication (vitamin/supplement, OTC or Rx) is fine in your home country that it is the same elsewhere.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter