Traveling solo with small kids

RainyDayPixie

Mouseketeer
I have a trip planned for late February. My mom was supposed to travel with us, but she's been very sick and we found out today that her recovery time won't allow her to come.

So, I'm trying to decide if I can handle a trip solo with my 3 and 6 year olds. Would love to hear experience/tips.

I was planning on staying at Hojo, but think I'll spring for onsite or one of the closer hotels (Park Cue or BWPPI) if it's just me schlepping them.

I would go for a closer hotel, if I were you. I haven't done a solo trip, but I often have a lot of solo time with my girls. My main advice would be to stay calm, take it slow and don't be afraid to take breaks with them. Be sure to take a stroller for the 3-yr-old!

I would totally be willing to do a solo trip with my girls, but they're a bit older than your two, and my 7-yr-old is old enough to ride alone (when necessary).

I believe what you have planned is do-able. The hotel on Harbor right at the cross walk is Park Vue. I would also suggest that you use a stroller, especially for crossing Harbor. That would contain one child and give you a hand to hold the other one. In the park you might want to park the stroller at times so that your three year old can run around. Parking the stroller will also make it easier for you to get around in the park. Another suggestion I would have for you is to locate all the "family" style restrooms so that you can take both children into it with you. :tink:

Anything the 3 yr old can ride, you can all ride together. M only concern would be if the 6 yr old would be upset not getting to ride some of the bigger rides the 3 yr old isn't tall enough for. Is the 3 yr old 40"?

Great tips and suggestions. Thanks everyone!

I hadn't thought about us being an odd-numbered group and possibly not riding together. I think my 6 year old would be ok with riding by himself.

I'll have to measure the 3 year old. He sort of a scaredy-cat, though. Not sure he'd be up for any of the "big" rides (and Matterhorn will be closed).

I still haven't decided if I take the trip or just eat the plane ticket cost (they are technically re-bookable at a $150 fee, but the tix cost $140...). The kids don't know about the trip yet.

This is the second trip I've canceled recently! Tried to make an October trip happen and it just didn't quite work out. I've got an AP from June burning a hole in my pocket!

Great tips and suggestions. Thanks everyone!

I hadn't thought about us being an odd-numbered group and possibly not riding together. I think my 6 year old would be ok with riding by himself.

I'll have to measure the 3 year old. He sort of a scaredy-cat, though. Not sure he'd be up for any of the "big" rides (and Matterhorn will be closed).

I still haven't decided if I take the trip or just eat the plane ticket cost (they are technically re-bookable at a $150 fee, but the tix cost $140...). The kids don't know about the trip yet.

This is the second trip I've canceled recently! Tried to make an October trip happen and it just didn't quite work out. I've got an AP from June burning a hole in my pocket!

They have to be 7 to ride alone so your 6 yr old can't ride by himself or any of the big rides if the little one can't ride too. But if you don't do any big rides then all the little ones CAN fit 3 in once car, though it may be tight on Buzz and TSMM, plus only 2 controllers.

They have to be 7 to ride alone so your 6 yr old can't ride by himself or any of the big rides if the little one can't ride too. But if you don't do any big rides then all the little ones CAN fit 3 in once car, though it may be tight on Buzz and TSMM, plus only 2 controllers.

THANK YOU! That slipped my mind. Hmmmmmmmm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter