Traveling after Irma (FL east & south)

DVC4US

DVC Member Since 1998
For those traveling to Disney or South FL from the panhandle area might want to consider the US 19/98 route down the west coast of FL. My daughter left Panama City Beach, FL headed to Tampa at 5:30am this morning and said she is making good time with no traffic on the road. She is finding gas but I warned her it will get harder as she gets further south.

Last Wednesday when they evacuated she took the I75/I10 route (due to not having a good operating phone) and her friends took the US19/98 route - it took her 3 1/2 hours longer to get to PCB then it took her friends.

1. FLHSMV‏ Verified account @FLHSMV 49m 49 minutes agoSanta Fe River rising rapidly after heavy rainfall from #HurricaneIrma. In event I-75 closes, see detour map. @MyFDOT @MyFDOT_NEFL

DJnY8UBUEAARkK9.jpg

4 replies44 retweets16 likes

FLHSMV‏ Verified account @FLHSMV
Replying to @FLHSMV @MyFDOT @MyFDOT_NEFL

Additional bridges on U.S. 27, U.S. 41, S.R. 47 and possibly U.S. 121 may be impacted. @MyFDOT @MyFDOT_NEFL

8:52 AM - 13 Sep 2017

My daughter made it to Tampa with no issues and found gas along the way. Again, anyone traveling I10 East and I75 South (especially with the river possibly flooding) should consider the US 19/98 route. If you are not going into Tampa there are routes to take you over to I75 just below Ocala.

I-75 will NOT be closed. The Santa Fe river crested one foot below the level which would have mandated closure.

That said, the 19/98 route might be a better was to go.

My DH and I made the trip today in the opposite direction. N on 75, W on I10. But I paid attention to what was going on for the traffic. On the other side. Every thing moved very well except for two accidents.

Last edited:
Made an airport run today from the 75/turnpike junction to MCO at 5pm, returning at 6:30. No problems with traffic either way. Seems the inflow of evacuees and power trucks has evened out a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!