Travel Insurance ......Yes or No?

Crazy4Disney06

DIS Veteran
Do you buy travel insurance for your WDW vacation? WDW website quoted me at 119.90 for three of us ..... but I'm wondering do I really need it?

If I don't buy it and need to cancel my vacation for some reason, will I still recieve a refund??

:wave2:

I think it depends on the cost of your trip. I never purchased trip insurance, never even thought about it until this year. We have a cruise booked in November and after the Hurricanes last year decided to buy the insurance. Good thing too considering what the weather's been like lately! It's a small price to pay IF god forbid you need it.

A great website for travel insurance is insuremytrip.com check it out and compare prices and coverage.

FYI Insurance is NOT refundable.

HTH
~Curly

curlyjbs said:
I
FYI Insurance is NOT refundable.

HTH
~Curly

Thanks for the help....I know the insurance is NOT refundable, but can I still get a refund for my TRIP through WDW website if I do not buy trip insurance???

You probably don't need insurance for a WDW vacation because each part can be cancelled without penalty. Here's what you need to know:

How late could you cancel your hotel without penalty?
If you're flying, are your tickets refundable?
Tickets are a no-brainer; if you've already bought them, they're good forever.

I've never purchased insurance for a WDW trip, although I did consider it last time since we prepaid for an offsite pool house and we wouldn't have gotten much (if any) of a refund if we'd cancelled at the last minute. I think it depends alot on individual circumstances and how much you stand to lose if you have to cancel at the last minute.

I definitely bought insurance for our upcoming cruise. I'm so glad I did, since Tropical Storm Ophelia appears like it will be hanging around :sad1:

MrsPete said:
You probably don't need insurance for a WDW vacation because each part can be cancelled without penalty. Here's what you need to know:

How late could you cancel your hotel without penalty?
If you're flying, are your tickets refundable?
Tickets are a no-brainer; if you've already bought them, they're good forever.

Well I'm buying the MYW w/ dinning, you can cancel up to 45 days prior, but I was unsure if you had to purchase the trip insurance in order to get a refund or not.

You can still cancel your trip if need be. By getting the insurance you would be protecting yourself from fees if the need arose that you needed to cancel. I didn't buy trip insurance and out of nowhere my 13 year old daughter ended up with a very rare form of ovarian cancer and we cannot make our Nov. trip. Since I was more than 45 days out, I was able to change our reservations with no penalty. Where it hurt was in the airline tickets. I had to pay $100 change fee per airline ticket running me $400. Had I bought trip insurance in our circumstance I would have been better off. Had this happened closer to our trip I could have lost another $100 or $200 in cancellation fees. So it depends on your comfort level. At the time I planned our trip we didn't think anything would get in our way.

I insured my trip with insuremytrip.com. for $67. WDW's insurance quoted me $122. I got the website from mousesavers.com I figured for the cost of a dinner for 2, I have the peace of mind in case of flight cancellation, lost luggage, hurricane, etc.

Also check rates with TravelGuard.com. They will also be cheaper than Disney. I have never insured a Disney trip since each segment can be cancelled with little to no penalty, but I did insure the cruise we took during hurricane season. I didn't insure the ones we took during Spring and Summer though I probably should have.

I bought flight insurance for my upcoming December trip. I used travelguard.com. It cost us $92 for 5 of us. That was really the only thing I was worried about losing my money on, because our resort is cancellable up to 5 days before the trip, I think. If we need to change our flight for some reason, there's a fee of $50 per person per segment, so $100 round trip each. The insurance was a cheaper option.

I had to purchase the insurance within 6 days of purchasing our airline tickets. So if you already have your tickets, it might be too late.

Definitely purchase insurance for any portion of your trip that isn't refundable. We had a trip planned and paid for to Hawaii this summer. The hotel portion was refundable, however the airfare was not. Airfare for reasonably priced tickets oftentimes is non refundable. Well, our airfare alone to Hawaii was about $3000. I decided to purchase insurance for the airfare. Good thing I did. About a week before our trip, my husband had a heart attack! He's 48, in apparent good health, and no one would have thought such a thing would happen. Fortunately the heart attack was relatively mild and he's fully recovered. We got full reimbursement from the insurance for our plane tickets. We paid about $100 total for insurance on 4 plane tickets. We really needed that $3000 to pay medical bills. You never know what might happen, especially if you plan a trip months in advance and the cost is substantial. Also, the trip insurance we purchased would have helped if we encountered a problem while traveling, such as flight delays, medical emergencies, etc. We just consider trip insurance to be part of the cost of traveling.

We often will book travel insurance for any cruise we might take. Not only for the value if your trip is cancelled or delayed but also for the medical component. We have been on three cruises where someone has been life flighted off the ship. It does happen and if it happens to you it could cost you a fortune. Also, many ports of call do not have adequate medical facilities and to send you home under medical care is also expensive.

We don't usually insure our trips to WDW. Not that it wouldn't be wise during hurricane season, but our airfare is often gotten with air miles and we use our DVC membership for lodging. Hence, not too much cash is involved.

I do recommend insuremytrip.com. We have used them multiple times and it offers the best of insurance plans available from rated companies. You can pick and choose the type of coverage you want and which one best matches your needs.

Does anyone know how this works with Best rate. Example I have a room rederve my father becomes medically unable to travel. Do we get our non refundable deposit back??

TIA!
Sue

DisOrBust said:
Does anyone know how this works with Best rate. Example I have a room rederve my father becomes medically unable to travel. Do we get our non refundable deposit back??

TIA!
Sue

With most travel insurance, you would have to purchase it within a defined period of time (generally 10-21 days) after making your first trip deposit to have any pre-existing conditions covered. If your father has been ill or has been treated for a major problem, and then you have to cancel your trip because that condition has gotten worse, the insurance probably won't cover you.

I have never purchased trip insurance for WDW trips, but then I've never gotten a package. I DO purchase it for a cruise - as soon as I put down a deposit.

:guilty: In Feb I booked a trip to Vegas as a surprise for my DH. I had it planned that I gave it to him right after I had booked it. It was for nothing special.

He was quite happy and surprised. He was with me when I paid the deposit but insisted on the insurance---usually its a good idea but with my DH its just a cop out---if for some reason he gets a bug up his butt we dont go.

I know he hasnt been feeling to good but I think most of it is in his head.

Everything was great until around the end of July--he didnt seem to sure about it--even though he said we could see Barry Manilow :banana: as my birthday gift.

My b-day is the end of July so on the 23rd he comes home with a kitten!!! we already have 2 but I kept saying I'd like another one little did I know he would really get me one!!! but he kept insisting that we'd see Barry too.

after 2 weeks latter he said how lucky I was that I got a kitten and a concert for my b-day. so this is the middle of Aug we were suppposed to leave 9-6 :confused3

by now I could tell he really didnt want to go :guilty: I was getting upset and I told him I didnt want to cancel at the last minute

you guessed it Tues AM I had to wait till 9 when AAA opened to cancel!! WE were supposed to leave at 845.

Now for the part Im not sure how this insurance works--when we booked it
we asked several times to make sure there were no hassles and I asked even if he wakes up Tues and doenst feel well can we still cancel
she said thats right now hassles and you can cancel at the last minute.

now Im waiting for the forms and his dr has to sign something!! to me thats a hassle!

our agent said nothing about that--like if he had the flu he wouldnt see a dr but he sure couldnt go on a trip if he was running to the bathroom all the time!!!

sorry this got out of hand but Im upset about the whole thing--we got into a few battles over this trip :guilty:

I planned and saved so it want going to cost "us" anything and it was like he didnt appreciate it. and I feel like I was strung along--he said he knew I was going to be upset but I was more upset cancelling at the last minute then if I would have cancelled sooner.

Also this isnt the first time this has happened--last year we were at WDW for our 25th anniversary and he slept most of the time.

there were also other trips that got messed up.

yet he doenst like the idea if I go on a trip with my mom or friend

well sorry this got waaaayyyyy off the subject of if anyone has any experience with getting a refund when you have insurance

thanks for listening

Dznypal said:
well sorry this got waaaayyyyy off the subject of if anyone has any experience with getting a refund when you have insurance

When you purchased travel insurance, your travel agent should have given you a policy to read. It is very specific about when it will pay and when it will not. It will NOT pay if you just change your mind about going. If your travel agent told you otherwise, then perhaps you have a claim against the travel agency, even though the insurance can (and probably will) refuse to pay.

We never used to purchase the insurance, but we did last trip and this one. My dh's grandmother is 97 years old, and my own grandmother has been on her death bed for years now (I have a feeling she'll outlive the rest of us! ;) )

With family members so aged, it's a good idea to buy trip insurance!

i would normally say no but with everything going on in the world i now will say maybe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter