Travel Insurance - Renting DVC Points

ASLDisneyMom

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!
Looking for some help with Travel Insurance. I've never purchased TI independently and have always purchased through Disney. However, we've decided to try renting DVC points this year for the first time. We will be bringing along my MIL and step-father in law and will be getting a two bedroom villa.
So with travel insurance what's the best way to handle it? Do I purchase one TI package that covers all 5 of us, or should I purchase it for the three of us (me, DH, and DD) and have them buy their own? If they needed to cancel my DH and I would still want to potentially go (depending on the severity of their illness of course) but we would now have a 2 bedroom that we wouldn't need and would potentially want to lower it to a one bedroom. Is that just a risk we have to take?
TIA for your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions! :)

So it isn't at all likely that you'll be able to change your rented reservation from a two bedroom to a one bedroom. If they don't go, you will have a two bedroom. If you need to move it a week, you will have a two bedroom the week you originally booked. If you have to cancel, you will be paying the owner. Insurance is a great idea.

Some owners will try and work with you to change if you need to - but many brokers won't at all - and many owners can't - there isn't availability, they will waste points in making changes that cannot be recovered. With a DVC rental, its best to look at the transaction as final.

One of the benefits of a DVC rental is the savings over getting the room through Disney. The drawback is that your transaction will be final and moving things around, for a variety of reasons, probably won’t happen.

What I think you need to find out is how TI covers something like this when it’s a joint reservation in that some guests might not go while others will. I think it would be hard to submit a claim if your family still uses the room.

Thanks. That all makes sense. We could change the name of others on the reservation though right? So if my MIL and FIL couldn't come, could we invite someone else to come instead (if we could find someone who could go last minute of course.)

So it seems like it would be best either way to get the TI with all of us listed together just in case something happened that meant we all couldn't go. And if any of us end up still going we just have to take the loss of having the extra bedroom.

Thanks. That all makes sense. We could change the name of others on the reservation though right? So if my MIL and FIL couldn't come, could we invite someone else to come instead (if we could find someone who could go last minute of course.)

So it seems like it would be best either way to get the TI with all of us listed together just in case something happened that meant we all couldn't go. And if any of us end up still going we just have to take the loss of having the extra bedroom.

I think this sounds like the best option. Most owners are willing to change the names of guests, providing the main people who rented stay the same.

I would definitely make sure to be upfront about the potential change of the 2 guests to be sure that the owner is willing to make that change.

Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks so much! Fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong and the vacation goes off without a hitch. I REALLY want to try out this resort (DVC considering here) but ya just never know.

You don't need to change the rental names at all as long as the replacement people don't have AP that they need the FP window for. Does it really matter if Fred is wearing Tom's magic band to get around? No one would even know honestly and only the main guest would have an ID checked if you even do a inperson check in.

As for the insurance I would check but I would view it as that person cancelling their portion of a non refundable trip. Divide by the group size and that's the cost.

If you talk with the insurance company get it in writing. Screenshot any websites they send you to as well so terms can't magically be updated before your trip.

You don't need to change the rental names at all as long as the replacement people don't have AP that they need the FP window for. Does it really matter if Fred is wearing Tom's magic band to get around? No one would even know honestly and only the main guest would have an ID checked if you even do a inperson check in.

As for the insurance I would check but I would view it as that person cancelling their portion of a non refundable trip. Divide by the group size and that's the cost.

If you talk with the insurance company get it in writing. Screenshot any websites they send you to as well so terms can't magically be updated before your trip.

Any ticket that is used has to be attached to a guest so if they replace with other guests, those guests would need tickets to be attached to magic bands.

If those new guests wanted to place a credit card on the band, those guests would have to provide ID with the CC and it would need to ma5ch guests.

It’s best to always have the guests accurate and advising someone to violate rules is not okay.

If those new guests wanted to place a credit card on the band, those guests would have to provide ID with the CC and it would need to ma5ch guests.

Except only the primary needs to list the CC and everyone else can pay off the charge at the front desk.

Any ticket that is used has to be attached to a guest so if they replace with other guests, those guests would need tickets to be attached to magic bands.

Hence it would not work with a AP. Otherwise you are buying tickets anyways.

It’s best to always have the guests accurate and advising someone to violate rules is not okay

Correct it's best to be accurate but can you show me where it says it requires legal name for anyone but the primary guests? Just saying if it came down to it, it would be an option and it has been suggested before especially because of Disney IT issues.

Except only the primary needs to list the CC and everyone else can pay off the charge at the front desk.

Hence it would not work with a AP. Otherwise you are buying tickets anyways.

Correct it's best to be accurate but can you show me where it says it requires legal name for anyone but the primary guests? Just saying if it came down to it, it would be an option and it has been suggested before especially because of Disney IT issues.

First, any ticket has to be attached to a person and a magic band attached to another person can not be used with any ticket, not just an AP. If the person whose band you are using would then hava ticket attached to their account that doesn’t belong to them.

Yes, one person can use a credit card, but if the new guests are not listed and want to do their own, they would be restricted to do so, When I travel with others, I do not allow them to use my CC.

Plus, you are dealing with a rental and when you agree to it with an owner, you let them know who the guests are and by not telling them, you are being dishonest, not only with them, but with Disney as all guests are supposed to be registered,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!