Transportation

Hockey Mom KQ

Mouseketeer
I know this questions has been asked a million times, but what is the best way to get from the resort to the cruise, and then back to the resort. Last year we used Disney, but I am wondering if renting a town car is just as easy? I really don't want any confusion. I am considering cost as well as efficiency. What do you think?

How many people are traveling with you? I think that makes all the difference :goodvibes

There are 4 of us - 2 adults and 2 children. We are leaving from Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village and will be returning to Port Orleans - French Quarter.
Thank you for your reply:)

I believe the concensus is that with 4 people you are better off with a town car service (Tiffany http://www.tiffanytowncar.com/tc_rates.html). One thing to to think about is how much luggage are you bringing? The town car rates in that link are for up to 4 passengers and 4 pieces of luggage.

If you need to go to a large vehicle because you will have more luggage than the car can hold you may be better off using DCL transfers ($35 one way or $69 round trip, per person).

Some also suggest renting a car but after looking into that it just seems like too much of a hassle as none of the car rental locations are at the port (most are nearby with a shuttle bus service back to the port).

FWIW DH & I are using DCL transfers from OKW to the port then back to SSR. We are just 2 people so DCL was our most cost effective option and we would rather just let Disney take care of transportation for us :goodvibes

Something else to consider - do you care what time you get to the port? DCL transfers generally get guests there later in the day, some people prefer to be there first thing in the morning to do things like make ressies, check on dining seating, and just to absorb all the Disney atmosphere at the port

It's certainly less easy to do a rental car from WDW than from MCO. However, it's a lot cheaper. You can get a full sized rental for under $50 typically (we've paid as little as $32 and typically $40 for an economy including all taxes and fees with discounts from rentalcodes.com or mousesavers.com) Companies with pick up near WDW and drop off near port include Budget, Avis, and Hertz. Enterprise and Thrifty are also near port but I don't know where their WDW locations are.

Towncar service is a little less cost than DCL transfers for 4 people, and is more convenient in that it will run on YOUR time schedule, not Disney's. You won't have to sit and wait for a bus to fill or visit 2 other resorts before you get to where you are staying. In addition, most allow a 15 minute grocery or Walmart stop if there's something you need to get.

Thank you:) We used DCL last year, and with the amount of luggage probably it is best to stick with Disney. Thank you for the tips. I had no idea about the luggage, and hadn't even thought of that. pirate:

Ok so here's a question??? What do you tip one of these guys?

For 4 of us it would be $280 on the cruise express. We only have 2 bags and backpacks so luggage is not an issue. I can get a town car for about $180 RT. If I tip $50 bucks each way I break even and go with CLE.

Who has the info??

Thanks!

I thought I read somewhere that Disney will move your luggage even if you are not using their transportation. Can anyone confirm? We were able to get a rental for $108 for the week so we are going to go that route but I would love to have Disney take our luggage to/from.

The luggage service is part of the transfer with DCL. They will NOT take your luggage unless you pay for the transfers. If they catch you trying to put the DCL luggage tags on your bags and they pick up the bags, you will be charged for them. Truth--they don't always catch it.

A tip of about 20% is expected with a towncar service. Check the fine print; some companies include the tip with the cost, but the driver won't tell you that! The advantage of a towncar service is that it will run on YOUR time schedule, not DCL's. You'll get to the port when you choose. The porter who takes your bags at the terminal will also expect a tip (another charge you won't have with DCL transfers).

I thought I read somewhere that Disney will move your luggage even if you are not using their transportation. Can anyone confirm? We were able to get a rental for $108 for the week so we are going to go that route but I would love to have Disney take our luggage to/from.

We'd love to get anything even close to that deal. Where did you find a deal like that??
Thanks,
Tim

Priceline has car rentals as low as $11 per day. The kicker is that you have to pick up and drop off at MCO. Thus, you have to keep the car and have a place to park while you are cruising.

One of the hotels that allows free parking with an overnight stay can be a great deal if you are comfortable leaving the car in their lot. I've left MY car there. The hotel lots are not gated/lighted/guarded as the lot at the terminal is, but you don't pay $15 per night for it either. Of course, there's a huge difference between paying parking and keeping the car for a 3 night cruise vs. a 7 night cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter