Transportation to/from Fantsy cruise

TwinMom202

DisneyMom
Transportation question: taking a cab from the airport to the hotel is easy...we will be at Hard Rock Universal Studios, So the WDW magical express shuttle will not take us to the ship. What's the best and most cost effective way to travel from Universal Studios area to Port Canaveral. Taxi? Car Service? About how far is Port Canaveral from Universal area? And I'm sure there are cabs at the port terminal to take you back to the airport, right? Thanks!!

Transportation question: taking a cab from the airport to the hotel is easy...we will be at Hard Rock Universal Studios, So the WDW magical express shuttle will not take us to the ship. What's the best and most cost effective way to travel from Universal Studios area to Port Canaveral. Taxi? Car Service? About how far is Port Canaveral from Universal area? And I'm sure there are cabs at the port terminal to take you back to the airport, right? Thanks!!

It's about an hour drive from Universal to Port Canaveral, depending on traffic.

I would take a car service both ways, either Happy Limo or Tiffany Town Car. You can get a coupon from mousesavers.com if you use car service both directions and save about 10%.

If there's 4 or more in your traveling party it's no more expensive than taking the Disney Cruise Transfer bus for $35 per person each way. (Not quite the same as Magical Express, which is free and runs only between the airport and WDW hotels.)

Agree, use a car service. Had a good experience with Happy Limo. reserved a regular limo and they surprised us with a stretched out Navigator... great way to start off a memorable week. The pick up process is easy just give them a call when you're back in the port and they were waiting just outside of the port area.

Since you are flying in, I assume that you will fly out at the end of the cruise. That being the case, I'd recommend the limo or private car service only for the trip from the hotel to the cruise terminal. On the way back, it would definitely be better if you use the Disney bus, as then you can check in on board for free and leave your luggage outside your stateroom door on your final night and then not touch it until you get to your home airport. Since the Disney bus is already providing non-stop transport from the cruise terminal to the airport, adding the luggage service makes it much more convenient than any private transfer could be.

i think if u want to take the disney cruise bus ..u can take a taxi back to airport and take the bus from there...then take the bus to airport..much easier :goodvibes just call cruiseline to book or travel agent if thats how u booked..happy cruising:banana:

Since you are flying in, I assume that you will fly out at the end of the cruise. That being the case, I'd recommend the limo or private car service only for the trip from the hotel to the cruise terminal. On the way back, it would definitely be better if you use the Disney bus, as then you can check in on board for free and leave your luggage outside your stateroom door on your final night and then not touch it until you get to your home airport. Since the Disney bus is already providing non-stop transport from the cruise terminal to the airport, adding the luggage service makes it much more convenient than any private transfer could be.

Just a clarification....the luggage service back to the airport is ONLY available if you participate in the Onboard Airline Check In program. It is not automatic just because you book that leg of DCL transfers. There are criteria your flight has to meet in order to take part in the OAC program.

If their flight meets the criteria, then yes, it is the most convenient way back to MCO from the cruise.

If taking just DCL transfers and not taking part in the OAC program then you need to handle your own luggage through customs and it goes under the bus you take back to MCO.

Here is the info from the DCL site about the Onboard Airline Check In program:

Onboard Airline Check-In

Enjoy the comfort and convenience of Onboard Airline Check-In when you purchase air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line.

When you register for Onboard Airline Check-In, you are entitled to:
• Receive your boarding passes and check your luggage for your return flight before you disembark the ship.
• Skip luggage claim at the port terminal.
• Bypass the airline check-in counter at the airport.

Here's how it works:
1. Reserve air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line and sign up for Onboard Airline Check-In when you check in for your cruise at the port.
2. On the day prior to disembarkation, your airline boarding passes and valet luggage tags will magically be delivered to your stateroom, along with a letter answering common questions you may have.
3. Attach the tags to your luggage and leave your bags outside your stateroom on the evening prior to disembarkation. Disney Cruise Line will collect and deliver your luggage to your airline.
4. When you arrive at Orlando International Airport, proceed to security with your boarding passes already in hand and continue on to your scheduled departure gate.

Available to Guests flying out of Orlando International Airport on domestic flights (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) on AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines and US Airways.

Pre-registration is required and scheduled flights must be after 11:25 a.m. On the day your cruise ends. Guests are limited to 2 bags per person and each piece must not exceed 50 lbs. Additionally, some Guests may be selected to check in at the airport and will be unable to use this service.

MJ

Another vote here for using Onboard Airline Check in!!!
We intentionally choose a participating airline just so we can use this service. What an easy way to end a cruise. :thumbsup2
No schlepping bags at all until you get to your home airport. Then you're back to reality. :sad:

For a larger group I would still say splurge on the limo, it's more unique and extends your vacation just a bit longer. Claim you bags in customs and if don't want to deal with your bags get a porter to take the, out of the terminal, the driver will load up the car and at the airport can drop them with checking, again no handling and you can be assured that your bags are all with you and reduce your odds of visiting the lost bags office at your home airport. For flight checkin, just checkin for your outbound flight online and they will give the option to auto checkin for you 24 hours before your departure, if you have a smart phone your boarding pass will be there as soon as you power up the phone in port, otherwise just go and get a reprint... I like to be in control when I travel so that should something happen I can quickly make adjustments should something happen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter