Transportation options between Port Canaveral to Disney Grand Floridian Resort

chinhk

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

Is less than 180 days now till my first disney Dream cruise (followed by a stay at the GF). Getting really excited but there are still a few things to be booked, including our transfers.

We are a family of four adults and plan to arrive on the day before the cruise and stay at the Grand Hyatt (MCO). Still trying hard to find a good deal at this hotel :surfweb:
Anyway, I have a few questions in regards to the transportation options and I hope some of you experienced cruisers may be able to answer.

We are considering to take either the disney shuttle bus from MCO to Port Canevaral or hire a chauffeur (through Mears or if anyone could recommena good and reliable company). I'm sure the costs for the two options would be about the same but which option would be the best?

We would like to get to PC as early as possible (we will be cruising on concierge but we would want to spend some time at the terminal and to have some photo opportunities with mickey and friends).
If we use Mears, I was told that we can only arrive at PC after a certain time whereas the disney shuttle may be able to get us to the PC at an earlier time?? what time does the first disney shuttle leaves Grand Hyatt regency and how long is the journey?

After the cruise, we also need transport to the Grand Floridian Resort. If we plan to use the disney shuttle, how long will it take to get to the GF resort?
Would Mears be a better option? I'm guessing it will be quicker to get to the resort using Mears but considering there will be hundreds/thousands of cruise passengers disembarking at the same time, how easy would it be for us to actually meet our Mears driver at the arrival terminal? and how long will the disembarkation process takes?

Hi everyone,

Is less than 180 days now till my first disney Dream cruise (followed by a stay at the GF). Getting really excited but there are still a few things to be booked, including our transfers.

We are a family of four adults and plan to arrive on the day before the cruise and stay at the Grand Hyatt (MCO). Still trying hard to find a good deal at this hotel :surfweb:
Anyway, I have a few questions in regards to the transportation options and I hope some of you experienced cruisers may be able to answer.

We are considering to take either the disney shuttle bus from MCO to Port Canevaral or hire a chauffeur (through Mears or if anyone could recommena good and reliable company). I'm sure the costs for the two options would be about the same but which option would be the best?

We would like to get to PC as early as possible (we will be cruising on concierge but we would want to spend some time at the terminal and to have some photo opportunities with mickey and friends).
If we use Mears, I was told that we can only arrive at PC after a certain time whereas the disney shuttle may be able to get us to the PC at an earlier time?? what time does the first disney shuttle leaves Grand Hyatt regency and how long is the journey?

After the cruise, we also need transport to the Grand Floridian Resort. If we plan to use the disney shuttle, how long will it take to get to the GF resort?
Would Mears be a better option? I'm guessing it will be quicker to get to the resort using Mears but considering there will be hundreds/thousands of cruise passengers disembarking at the same time, how easy would it be for us to actually meet our Mears driver at the arrival terminal? and how long will the disembarkation process takes?

First, do you mean the Hyatt Regency MCO or the Hyatt Place MCO...make sure you have the correct hotel if you want to stay in the hotel that is INSIDE the airport.....Hyatt Regency MCO is the one inside the airport.

Since you are concierge you don't need to worry about a PAT. The port opens officialy at 11:00. Recent reports are that you can arrive about 10:45 and they are letting you in but this may vary cruise to cruise depending on staffing.

DCL buses start leaving MCO about 9:30 ish and it takes about an hour to get to the port. DCL transfers are $35 pp each way. DCL buses are run through Mears. There are several private limo services or you can rent a car and drive. It is a simple drive to the port. For convenience, DCL transfers are the way to go and you can enter the port as soon as the bus gets there, plus your luggage will be picked up from your hotel room and delivered to the ship...you just go on the bus with your carryons.

If you can't find a good rate at the Hyatt Regency MCO you can try using a Hyatt Stay Certificate. These are purchased at the Hyatt website and cover the cost of the your room and taxes. For the Hyatt Regency MCO you would need to purchase a CHOICE certificate for $152.00 plus shipping. You need to call the hotel directly (not the central reservation number) and make sure they have a reservation that can be used with the certificate (they limit the amount of rooms that can use a certificate). We have used them several times.

Same transportation options for the return to the GF after the cruise....DCL being the easiest, rental car the least expensive.

MJ

Thanks MJ for your info.

It is the Hyatt Regency MCO that we have in mind.

I guess the disney shuttle service runs on a first come first served basis? or can we book a specific time of departure from MCO?

Thanks MJ for your info.

It is the Hyatt Regency MCO that we have in mind.

I guess the disney shuttle service runs on a first come first served basis? or can we book a specific time of departure from MCO?

You don't book a time, you just book the transfers and show up at the bus area and they check you in for the bus and yes, it is first come first serve. We have never had a problem getting the first bus. You will get an instruction letter when you check at the Hyatt (make sure you tell them you are taking DCL transfers if you are). You meet at the Magical Express bus area but the letter will give you all the info.

MJ

After some time searching for a good deal online for the Hyatt Regency MCO, I've managed to secure a room there for $162 (including breakfast). I will definitely book the disney transfer service now.

Instead of leaving our luggage in the room to be picked up by DCL, can we also bring it ourselves to the DCL check-in counter? I'm just worry that our luggage may be missed out and left behind at the hotel or perhaps I'm just over worrying :confused3

After some time searching for a good deal online for the Hyatt Regency MCO, I've managed to secure a room there for $162 (including breakfast). I will definitely book the disney transfer service now.

Instead of leaving our luggage in the room to be picked up by DCL, can we also bring it ourselves to the DCL check-in counter? I'm just worry that our luggage may be missed out and left behind at the hotel or perhaps I'm just over worrying :confused3

Yes, you can take your luggage with you to the DCL counter. Make sure you have your DCL luggage tags on the bags and they will take them and load them on a truck going to the port. The next time you'll see them is outside your cabin door.

Have a GREAT trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!