Transportation from Orlando to Port Canaveral and back

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by nallepuh, Feb 9, 2019.

1. nallepuh

nallepuh Earning My Ears

We are going on a Disney Cruise on Feb 25 but fly in to Orlando on the 23rd and will spend two nights at The Florida Hotel and Conference Center before the cruise. I've been looking into different options for transportation to Port Canaveral and was going to use Tiffany's Town Car which was the cheapest quote. Their quote was $342 including gratuity, from the hotel to Port Canaveral and then back again from Port Canaveral to one of the Universal Hotels on March 1st.

However, I just looked up the cost of using Uber and according to the website it would be $61 from the hotel to Port Canaveral and $100 from Port Canaveral to the Universal hotel. That is less than half the price compared to Tiffany's.

I have never used Uber before, mostly because I'm worried about safety. Then again, when I have used regular taxis in the U.S. they have sometimes been quite scary also so I assume that Uber wouldn't be worse. I have never had any problems with town car services though and that always felt like the safest option. So just seeking some advice here, would it be safe and OK to use an Uber to get to and from Port Canaveral and what would you guys choose?

Also, do you need to tip the Uber driver? If I remember correctly I have read somewhere that you don't tip them? And for Tiffanys Town Car, when it says "$342 including gratuity", does that mean that I don't have to tip any extra at the end of the ride.

It would be nice to save some money on transportation but most importantly is to get to and from Port Canaveral in a safe way and without having to worry about anything.

2. Capt_BJ

Capt_BJ So Many Times

UBER is 95% gonna be fine - there are occasional issues but no worse than a limo driver or taxi driver could be - the vehicle is typically OK. Standard UBER (X) is OK for 2 folks if you are 3 strongly recommend an XL and if 4 maybe reconsider ....

UBER originally was 'no tip' but no more ... tip IS expected. You can tip thru the app/credit card or cash.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. NJ Goofy

NJ Goofy DVC Member - SSR & BWV

I wouldn't have an issue using Uber or Lyft. If you were coming form MCO you could do a one-way car rental (both ways), we did that once and it worked out fine. You'd have to drive yourself of course.

I just checked another site, Port Canaveral Transportation and it looked like their rates were in the $250.00 range - round trip.

5. nallepuh

nallepuh Earning My Ears

Thank you! How much would you tip the UBER driver? We are two adults and one child and have two suitcases so hoping we could fit into the UBER X to save some money.

6. Capt_BJ

Capt_BJ So Many Times

I saw an article by an UBER driver about tipping recently and it suggests the typical 15 to 20% which where I am usually. I may go up or down based on the driver ... some try harder than others ... some MUCH harder. Also it is good to know that the driver can rate YOU as the customer and future drivers can see YOUR history!!! UBER drivers choose to pick up rides .....

If it will be your first UBER experience suggest you load the app and required info now. With the app loaded you can enter your planned route and get a price at anytime. After the app gives you the price you choose to confirm or not .... Note UBER pricing is dynamic meaning your actual fare when you book for real could be a bit different (it adjusts for demand)

I always opt for an XL ... the vehicle is a bit larger and I'm big .... extra legroom helps and the price difference is typically small.

•. Uber X - cheapest there is. Seats 1–4 people and is curb to curb service.

•. Uber XL - second cheapest. Seats 1–6 people also curb to curb. Perfect if your going out in a group. Great if you went shopping and bought a 60” TV you need to bring home. If your going to the airport and have multiple suitcases or golf clubs. Also, if your a larger person (girth or height wise). Even if you are the only person traveling don’t hesitate to order this one if you just want to be guaranteed a little breathing room.

• UberX seats 4 passengers. Uber X cars are typically regular sedans like the Toyota Prius, Honda Accord.
    • UberXL seats 6 passengers. UberXL cars are SUVs and minivans. XL costs more than UberX
    to me, 4 people in a Prius is not comfortable!

7. nallepuh

nallepuh Earning My Ears

Thank you, very helpful!