Trainer for a day trip report

LarryM

Mouseketeer
On monday I was trainer for a day. The day started out by being met by a person from training staff and taken to get a wetsuit. The first stop was to Shamu stadium. Goty to help with feeding and help train them. Lots of up close and personel time with the killer whales. It was in the mid 90's so they let me jump in the water it is 50 degrees when I went in it took my breath away. After seeing the behind the scenes stuff got to help reward the whales during show when they performed well. This portion of the day was the most structured because of the size of the animals.
The second stop was at the avairy and saw the birds up close.
The third stop was to the sea lion stadium. Got to meet Gilbert the sea lion and slow poke the walrus up close. Gilbert likes to eat his fish tail first if you feed him head first he always flips them around. Did not meet any otters aparently they are not very friendly and there way meeting new people is to bite them. Saw the show from back stage watching it from this perspective gives you an appreciation fro the work involved. The people working here seem to have the most fun.
The last stop was to the whale and dolphin area. The dolphins are no longer in the show there as they have been moved to Discovery cove. Here I got more involved with the training part and it was incredible. Got to direct the whales in there training, and of course more up close and personel time.
All in all the day was incredible and great. Was there from 9am - 5pm and the time flew by. The program can take up to 3 paticipants but I was the only one that day. The trainers I interacted with did not seem to mind having a helper for the day. I was also given a disposable camera and the trainers liked to help you remember your day by taking your picture. You also got a Sea World traing department T-Shirt. Sorry so long any questions I will be glad to answer.

LarryM did you meet a trainer named Mandy when you were at the whale and dolphin stadium. I was wondering if she was still there.

LMP I cant remember if there was a Mandy. There was a Meghan and about 5 other woman.

Hi Larry...great report, thanks! My question is: did you enroll in a Sea World-specific "trainer for a day" program? Over at the DC web site, they describe a "trainer for a day" program that costs $369 and has different features. But one feature in the DC program talks about small-mammal training, which DC doesn't have...that made me wonder if the trainer for a day program takes their participants to both Sea World and DC?

Teh program was specific to Sea World. I'm not aware if DC has there own program.

Thank you Larry. I'll be a trainer for the day on Sunday, June 3rd. nOw I know what's in store for me. Thanks.

IOAfan

lowellsdad,

My parents reserved my spot about 2 or 3 months ahead of time.

IOAfan

Lowellsdad,
I booked about 4-5 months out. I picked one date and a back up date and it hasd to be reserved by mail.

And make sure you can work around your chosen and back up dates.

And you'll be tired when you get out of the program, too. What helped us out was going back to the hotel after getting out, and then start again the next day at the park to enjoy it as a family. that's where the 2nd day ticket comes in. Just present your first day tickets at the ticket update stand in the park and they'll update your tickets for 10.00 dollars, and you get to have your pic taken for verification, too. Then, while whoever's in the program starts their day, whoever's left can enjoy the park the same hours and then meet up somewhere and go home after the program. Since you already have your second day tickets, you can return to the park the next day and enjoy it as a family. A little bit of repetition for some of you, but I bet you won't mind.

IOAfan

IOAfan and LarryM,

Thanks for your responses. It's about five months out for me, so I guess I better start deciding on some possible dates. Your enthusiasm for the program is contagious.

Lowellsdad,

The program is worth it if it's something you would like to do someday. Even if it's not what you wanna do, it's still worth the experience.

IOAfan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter