Trail's End at Fort Wilderness closing to become quick service

I wonder how much of the drop of customers are due to the lack of the small water taxis from CR/FW/WL? Last trip while staying at BLT. we had two ADRs for a breakfast and dinner but when the boats weren't back yet, we didn't go. We really enjoyed the little boats. Having to wait for monorail, take the loop around , then wait for the big boat, just took too much tiime and a lot of standing.

We used to enjoy the buffet there. We were tempted to try the family style on our last trip but they were closed certain days of the week and heard people not staying at Ft Wilderness were being turned away. We did do HDDR and thrilled its back.

I wonder how much of the drop of customers are due to the lack of the small water taxis from CR/FW/WL? Last trip while staying at BLT. we had two ADRs for a breakfast and dinner but when the boats weren't back yet, we didn't go. We really enjoyed the little boats. Having to wait for monorail, take the loop around , then wait for the big boat, just took too much tiime and a lot of standing.

I agree

I don't think that the buffet at TE was going down in quality. In fact, we took friends there for dinner in Dec. 2019 before everything closed for the RONA several months later. Same good quality, (and that's saying something for Disney) and excellent offerings. I also haven't seen it getting less traffic as it's had over the last 20+ years we've been going.
The resort to resort boats haven't been running which does make it difficult to get to other than the boat from MK. Also, there is a bus that runs a regular route back and forth from Wilderness Lodge to the Settlement.
We had two favorites. TE, which was our close out night dinner after a weeks vacation, and 'Ohana. We lost interest in 'Ohana years ago. Lost interest in TE when they didn't reopen the buffet.
We moved here several years ago and TE was the last and only restaurant left on property we'd jump in the car and drive for 30 minutes to eat at. Sadly there's nothing left now.

Last edited:

That's wild (pun intended). So no table service options at all for those paying $450-$850/night in the cabins. Don't worry folks, just hop on a quick golf cart/bus; golf cart/boat; bus/bus or bus/boat combo and you'll be at nice table service restaurant in no time!

Trails End already had "quick service" at "P&J's Southern Takeout" which came from the same kitchen that did the Hoop Dee Doo Review food, Trails End food, and P&J's food.

Disney is waving the white flag that they can't offer a meal that will beat what the majority of their target audience (Fort Wilderness campers) are willing to pay for. Because their table serving are junk outside of premium offerings.

The announcement to move to All Counter Service/Marketplace style means when they finally build the ugly DVC/resort thing behind Pioneer Hall, the resort-thing will have the table service junk service and Fort Wilderness will be handed the Counter/Quick Service. And still fewer people than expected will eat the Disney offering at FW.

What a SHAME! The "Marketplace" planned sounds like a food court. They might move some walls back in the restaurant and shlep some crap to the masses. And some of those who don't know any better might bite at it and instantly regret it.

That's the burden that's on already on their back. They can project rosy future numbers all they want to. Bookmark this thread.

If they had a profitable/good-for-the-guest idea, they would have already put it out there. Years ago they would have.

Geeze.

Bama Ed
So, I'll put you down as a 'maybe?'

Is Crocketts Tavern staying? If they leave that intact, add some more bar food and seating, it could be a little bit of a comfort.

I am glad I went this past December. I enjoyed my meal there. I am a Fess Parker fan, so I will be very disappointed if they remove his portrait.

The Fess Parker portrait is technically in the "Crockett's Tavern" side of things so hopefully that will stay put!

As we say in the UK, I'm gutted. Trails End is one of our favourite places to go as we love the simplicity of the food. The family style wasn't as good as the buffet but we loved both. We always made an afternoon/evening of a trip over by boat from MK. We did the hay cart ride, the Chip and Dale sing along and walk along the nature paths. Another of our Disney traditions bites the dust

We tried Trails End for the first time this past Christmas as it was good - but I was bummed about no fried chicken on the family style menu. Doubt we would make the trek over for the QS.

This really puzzles me. P&J's is right next door, and it has a seating area. Yet when I was there last week, there was no one there. And the seating area was closed. I sat right outside the door, since the weather was nice, and there was virtually no traffic. Yet, they really think there's enough demand for another QS?
I always liked Trails end and pre Covid we did a Mothers day brunch there. Having said that, after camping this past weekend Thurs-Sun, I said to my husband that I wished they had better quick serve options. The day we come in we like to grab food and not worry about cooking but P&J just doesn't have great options. The burger isn't great and the pulled pork is so-so and the salad leaves a lot to be desired. We usually end up bussing over to Wilderness lodge and eating at Geyser Point or their quick serve. We would definitely use the market place quick serve more than Trails end.

All the things that made it great, made it expendable

- A good value
- Not too crowded
- A small buffet (back when it was a buffet)
- The buffet was optional, too

Running a less-crowded buffet or restaurant with prices that aren't too bad likely doomed it.

Also, while I loved it as it was, I don't know if that is what campers wanted. Perhaps they have been asking for a quick-service experience.

I would say that overall, I prefer fast-casual restaurants these days, but I find this news rather sad.
We too are very disappointed that this change is happening. Although we don't stay at the campground area we love going there for a change of pace and love Trails End and the Hoop for a meal and a good time. We did like the buffet vs family style but still a great atmosphere and relaxing and reasonable place for families or couples to go. Bar area was great also while waiting. Will miss this wonderful place and wish Disney would stop with these quick serve replacements. Miss ESPN club also what is happening to the Disney World we loved soooooo much.

When will the boats come back was at WL and was disappointed in this change seems like the norm now.

When will the boats come back was at WL and was disappointed in this change seems like the norm now.
Someone here said CR won’t pay their share, so the boats won’t happen. The boats are paid for by the the three resorts.

I don't think that the buffet at TE was going down in quality. In fact, we took friends there for dinner in Dec. 2019 before everything closed for the RONA several months later. Same good quality, (and that's saying something for Disney) and excellent offerings. I also haven't seen it getting less traffic as it's had over the last 20+ years we've been going.
The resort to resort boats haven't been running which does make it difficult to get to other than the boat from MK. Also, there is a bus that runs a regular route back and forth from Wilderness Lodge to the Settlement.
We had two favorites. TE, which was our close out night dinner after a weeks vacation, and 'Ohana. We lost interest in 'Ohana years ago. Lost interest in TE when they didn't reopen the buffet.
We moved here several years ago and TE was the last and only restaurant left on property we'd jump in the car and drive for 30 minutes to eat at. Sadly there's nothing left now.
I went May ‘22 and while the buffet was gone it was a “family” style meal and the food and service was very good. I’d say I enjoyed it equally or even better than when it was full buffet. Bummer it’s gone…

I'm bummed - it was a fun place to eat at on checkout day for us. The reservation let us park at the campgrounds and we were able to visit the horses while there, too. Though my DS may never get back on the pony after last trip - he fell off (pony got spooked) and it was quite the ordeal. But before that, it was a fun morning!

I also got the impression each time we dined there that many of the CM's have been there for years so I always worry about them losing their "home"

A disappointment indeed for me. For over a decade my family stayed at the cabins every summer and always rented the golf cart - loved having a hearty, simple meal just down the road when it was buffet. Once I joined DVC, I didn't go to the cabins nearly as often (though I have been 3 times since DVC), I still regularly went to Trails End for a dinner when staying at WL or Contemporary, and a few times coming back from MK.

The loss of the boats from Contemporary and Wildnerness Lodge definitely had an impact - it certainly would have stopped me from visiting from Wilderness Lodge. Having to take a bus/bus, or boat to MK then bus or boat, just puts a little too much work into getting there. I really miss the inter-resort boats there.

I haven't been back since Covid as I preferred the buffet, but did stop in to PB&J's last year over the summer just to check it out - Trail's End was closed at the time...the whole area seemed a bit 'quiet' and a little neglected looking - of course post-covid things were still trickling back and it was hard to tell if it was due to staffing/covid/etc - but something about it felt like it wasn't going to last - I worried then it might be closed or removed. Reimagining to quick serve is pretty much the same thing to me.

My family loves TE. On Thurday my adult daughter and I scheduled a last minute trip to WDW so we can go to TE one last time. Looking on the dining reservations, it seems that the last date for TE is February 13th, so I booked dinner for that date and we are flying down the night before! We live in upstate NY.

ETA when I posted this the reservation sytem was showing the restaurant's last day being the 13th, and marked closed every date after that. SInce then they have changed it to show TE closed every Tuesday and Wednesday and the other days being open through mid April.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter