Trader Sam's (WDW) Strategy

dreynolds1982

Mouseketeer
OK so I've tried a couple of times now to hit up Trader Sam's but always find crazy waits (last time it was 2+ hours!). On my November trip, I really want to check it out. Anyone have any good strategies/tips for avoiding the crazy waits? Do lines build up prior to open each day? Or is it best to try it in the late evening when most families are at the parks or in bed?

Thanks!

We visited once during our trip last August. We joined the line at 3pm for the 4pm opening. We were the 2nd & 3rd to enter the grotto, grabbed a seat at the bar, and watched it fill up. Within the first 30 minutes of opening, it became standing room only. We stayed until 6pm, enjoying several drinks and the theatrics....during that time, it stayed full. In fact, just as soon as we stood up to leave our 2 seats were immediately taken.

We are going back this April but we are going to try after 8pm this time.

Choose a weekday and avoid Fri through Sun nights. Show up by 3:15pm for 4pm entry, stand against the wall outside the door until a CM comes out to take your name and hands out pagers. Don't leave the line - stay put - to keep your entry priority and have a good time! ps pro tip - make a beeline to the tables on the far left hand side of the room. You can see all the drink effects and enjoy comfy sofas. If party of 3 or less, be prepared to let latecomers join at your table. Be friendly. It's a great experience :-)

All the advice above is great we arrive about 45 minutes before it opens. Never had a problem getting a seat

Choose a weekday and avoid Fri through Sun nights. Show up by 3:15pm for 4pm entry, stand against the wall outside the door until a CM comes out to take your name and hands out pagers. Don't leave the line - stay put - to keep your entry priority and have a good time! ps pro tip - make a beeline to the tables on the far left hand side of the room. You can see all the drink effects and enjoy comfy sofas. If party of 3 or less, be prepared to let latecomers join at your table. Be friendly. It's a great experience :-)

If they take your name you don't need to stay put. If they tell you you made the first group get back to TS about 5 minutes before it opens and they'll call groups in by name. Otherwise wait for the text/page.

Last time we went we got there around 7PM and only had to wait about 15 mins before we got the notice that we had a space ready for us. Another time we got there at 9 and walked right in.

We went on a week day, arrived 45 minutes before opening. got our name on the waiting list and then took off and walked around the Poly. Arrived back about 10 minutes before opening time. they will call your name. If you are not there, they will send a text or activate your buzzer, but also call the next names on the list.
Have not tried later at night, so no idea if it stays busy later.
It is a lot of fun.

I've swung by there 4 times, solo, and never gotten in. Going to try again for my birthday in May! I've only gone after opening (5-9pm ish) simply because at 3pm I'm still doing other stuff like swimming. I'm pretty sure I'll have to sacrifice pool time if I want to get in there, but SAB is too good to waste!

new update by wdwnews that trader sams will open by 3pm so will want to push your wait times up by 45 mins.

If they take your name you don't need to stay put. If they tell you you made the first group get back to TS about 5 minutes before it opens and they'll call groups in by name.
Your mileage may vary. In my experience, the line is not tolerant and if you give up your spot to wander while waiting for pager, parties behind you will be admitted before you wander back 5 mins before call. Your experience may be different and be much more substantial than mine. Mine is 6 visits plus. I've watched people in line behind me be very protective and vocal of their spot. I would not want to be that person to come up in that line with my pager and request admittance. No WDW experience is worth getting into a rumble. And yes, after waiting in line more than 45 mins, some guests are extremely protective of their spot. Just a word to the wise. Stay in line. Be safe. Be happy to be there.

new update by wdwnews that trader sams will open by 3pm so will want to push your wait times up by 45 mins.

Your mileage may vary. In my experience, the line is not tolerant and if you give up your spot to wander while waiting for pager, parties behind you will be admitted before you wander back 5 mins before call. Your experience may be different and be much more substantial than mine. Mine is 6 visits plus. I've watched people in line behind me be very protective and vocal of their spot. I would not want to be that person to come up in that line with my pager and request admittance. No WDW experience is worth getting into a rumble. And yes, after waiting in line more than 45 mins, some guests are extremely protective of their spot. Just a word to the wise. Stay in line. Be safe. Be happy to be there.

I've never stayed in line after getting a pager/giving my phone number. If my name's next on the list I get in, I don't care what people who got there later than me think. I don't rejoin the line, either. Just gather by the door a few minutes before opening (we've always gotten back before they start calling names) and wait for my name.

Best strategy: Come to California, lines are consistently not as bad and they open for lunch. Walking in at 11:30 when they open is no problem to get a seat and then you can enjoy much more time there until they close around midnight.

We've done as PPs suggested three times now with no issue getting in. Back in February, we got in line around 3:40 and the CM took our name. We just stayed put in line and when the doors opened at 4, the line entered one by one. We did get one of the last tables for four, so I would suggest getting in line 3:15ish if you have a larger group or want a choice of seats.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! With them opening at 3 now, that means getting there at 2:15, that's such a big chunk right in the middle of the day. Seems like most of you all have done it earlier rather than later though. Anyone have any experience going post-dinner? Like 9 - 10 p.m.? I've only done the one at DL so really want to check out this one if possible!

that's such a big chunk right in the middle of the day.

It is, but it would make for a good mid-day break from MK. You could do a later lunch at a monorail resort and then ride over to Poly to experience Trader Sam's. Head back to the park afterward. We are the type who go back to the resort for a few hours in the afternoon, so we wouldn't have an issue spending the time at Trader Sam's instead.

I've never stayed in line after getting a pager/giving my phone number. If my name's next on the list I get in, I don't care what people who got there later than me think. I don't rejoin the line, either. Just gather by the door a few minutes before opening (we've always gotten back before they start calling names) and wait for my name.

I would agree. The line was there to get your name on the list in order. Once your name is there, where you are in line doesn't matter. We are just sure to be back in line 5-10 minutes before it opens.
Last time we were towrd the back of the line when our name was called and we walked up and went in. No hassle frome any in front of us.
Now if you aren't in line and your name is called, the pager will go off, but by the time you get back, there may or may not be room for you as they have continued to call name from the list.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! With them opening at 3 now, that means getting there at 2:15, that's such a big chunk right in the middle of the day. Seems like most of you all have done it earlier rather than later though. Anyone have any experience going post-dinner? Like 9 - 10 p.m.? I've only done the one at DL so really want to check out this one if possible!

It was explained to me by some locals that go almost weekly, that if you visit during the week and after 9 PM, you shouldn't have a problem walking in. But I was cautioned that if it was exceptionally busy at the resort, this may not hold true. This is the strategy we are using on our upcoming trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter