Trader Sam's questions

Perfect! Hoping to talk my DH into a Poly weekend getaway at some point...I'm already plotting my tiki glasses! What do you have your eye on?

The Poly has been my dream resort for way too long! Hope you get your stay soon :). I'm eyeing the zombie head, rum flight, hippo and uh-oa. We have 4 pool days so one a day :drinking:

The Poly has been my dream resort for way too long! Hope you get your stay soon :). I'm eyeing the zombie head, rum flight, hippo and uh-oa. We have 4 pool days so one a day :drinking:
That sounds like a well thought out plan! I like it! You will love the Poly! It was our fave but DH struggles with change and cannot reconcile the renovation changes! He misses the waterfall and refuses to stay there! I miss the waterfall too but want to go back and now you've given me another reason! Much easier to collect tiki souvenir glasses when you're staying there!

Haha for sure!! And I had to pull DH away from the Contenporary so I feel your pain! We're already planning a bounceback in 2018 and hoping this is the first of many Poly trips! :)

Haha for sure!! And I had to pull DH away from the Contenporary so I feel your pain! We're already planning a bounceback in 2018 and hoping this is the first of many Poly trips! :)

He'll be hooked on the rum drinks and beautiful views! Although Contemporary has it's appeal! My sister and I are doing 1 night there - I haven't stayed there since 1978, lol! We're excited - going to walk to 7am EMH at MK! Then on to the Epcot area to meet up with our other sister, but not before we get some tiki glasses filled with rum and perhaps set aflame?

@TheFloatingBear One thing I'd note is that the packaging/box for some of the drinks can be pretty darn big. I got the Nautilus once, the box/styrofoam it comes in is easily 3 times the size of the drink vessel, which is already big!

I had a heck of a time trying to pack it in my luggage going home. I eventually had to remove it from the box/styrofoam and pack it in the middle of my clothes in my suitcase. I was for sure it wouldn't survive the flight, but it did.

Hope you get to go and don't have to wait too long, if at all. :thumbsup2

@TheFloatingBear One thing I'd note is that the packaging/box for some of the drinks can be pretty darn big. I got the Nautilus once, the box/styrofoam it comes in is easily 3 times the size of the drink vessel, which is already big!

I had a heck of a time trying to pack it in my luggage going home. I eventually had to remove it from the box/styrofoam and pack it in the middle of my clothes in my suitcase. I was for sure it wouldn't survive the flight, but it did.

Hope you get to go and don't have to wait too long, if at all. :thumbsup2

I was waiting for you to weigh in, lol! I know you're a big poly fan like me! You know, I had just been thinking about the luggage aspect and planning carry-on space! But I didn't think the Nautilus would be THAT big, lol! I really need to think this through...I'm glad yours survived the trip! But thanks, hopefully the pixie dust will be blowing our way and we'll get in quickly!

Between my sister and I on our first trip to Trader Sam's, we left with: Nautilus, Uh-Oa, Krakatoa, Hippopotomaitai, and the Zombie head. Two enormous bags we then had to lug to Epcot (dinner at Biergarten and Illuminations) and then to Hollywood Studios for Star Wars fireworks. Thankfully I didn't leave them under a table or something.

They do not give you the actual glass you are drinking out of. If I remember correctly, they give you a receipt and then stamp the receipt when you pick the glass up at the stand next to the front entrance. You can always ask them if you can come back later and pick up your glass (explaining that you don't want to carry it around the park). If allowed, you would have to keep track of your receipt - but that would be more manageable than a Tiki glass or two. I've never done that (I've always collected my glass on the same visit), but it seems reasonable enough to do.

I was waiting for you to weigh in, lol! I know you're a big poly fan like me! You know, I had just been thinking about the luggage aspect and planning carry-on space! But I didn't think the Nautilus would be THAT big, lol! I really need to think this through...I'm glad yours survived the trip! But thanks, hopefully the pixie dust will be blowing our way and we'll get in quickly!

LOL! It was this trip that taught me to "leave a little room" in our suitcases to make sure we had enough space to haul our loot back home! Or at least manage our carry-ons. Not that we buy much stuff, but it seems we inevitably pick up something along the way.

I've only been to the inside of Trader Sam's a handful of times (all in the 4ish-8 range) but fortunately I've never had to wait. I think I've been lucky.

Y'all seem to be planning a lot of fun things on this trip! o_O

Between my sister and I on our first trip to Trader Sam's, we left with: Nautilus, Uh-Oa, Krakatoa, Hippopotomaitai, and the Zombie head. Two enormous bags we then had to lug to Epcot (dinner at Biergarten and Illuminations) and then to Hollywood Studios for Star Wars fireworks. Thankfully I didn't leave them under a table or something.
My daughter, 27, drank most of the nautilus herself and wasn't drunk. Her boyfriend helped a bit.

So that's been my issue - two smaller drinks/tiki glasses, or one larger? Your stories inspire me! That's a lot of glasses to lug around, @Moliphino - that's quite a feat of strength and dedication!

LOL! It was this trip that taught me to "leave a little room" in our suitcases to make sure we had enough space to haul our loot back home! Or at least manage our carry-ons. Not that we buy much stuff, but it seems we inevitably pick up something along the way.

I've only been to the inside of Trader Sam's a handful of times (all in the 4ish-8 range) but fortunately I've never had to wait. I think I've been lucky.

Y'all seem to be planning a lot of fun things on this trip! o_O

We loungers know our lounges! We are planning a fun trip! It's going to be fabulous, if I do say so myself! I'm sure that I will be reporting on the ROL thread!

My DH and I tried to go one night on a date night, but it was newer then and we didn't want to wait that long, as we had other destinations. Well, the last two trips I've gotten a Starbucks park "you are here" mug (I like the designs), so I wanted to get another one, so it appears I will have heavy a heavy carry-on! I feel like I might need to go for the Nautilus with my sister, since she won't roll her eyes at me like DH probably will - although he knows my weaknesses! :sad2:

At this point, we've decided to go to the park, then back to the hotel to rest/refresh, then to Trader Sam's before we go into MK for the evening. We decided that if we go straight from the park, we'll either stay too long :rolleyes1, or we'll end up crashing when we get to the hotel! Hopefully we'll get lucky, but we'll make sure to leave some extra time!

We're hoping to make a visit before heading to the Luau show when we visit. I have my eye on the Hippopottomaitai!
Here's a great article I found that talks about the drinks and their respective glasses.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2015/07/16/complete-guide-trader-sams-grog-grotto-tiki-mugs/

I hadn't seen that, thanks! Just got some coffee so I can read and plan! :surfweb:

ETA: okay, I looked at the first picture and I already know I'm going to have a tough time deciding - glad I'm looking now! thanks again!

I want them all, lol! thanks for posting this! I'm a rum fan, so pretty much most of the drinks themselves are pretty appealing! I would splurge for the Nautilus, but isn't it a lot for one person? Or is it the glass you're paying for? I don't know, the rum flight is a dark horse...looks cool!

I think the Nautilus is a two-person drink generally (I know I couldn't do it by myself unless I wanted to be puking in a corner somewhere)... but the glass is *so* cool!

I think the Nautilus is a two-person drink generally (I know I couldn't do it by myself unless I wanted to be puking in a corner somewhere)... but the glass is *so* cool!

It really is - and I think it's cool that it's inspired by the ride - I loved that ride when I went to WDW as a child! I will have to discuss with my traveling companion (sister) - I'd be happy to buy us the drink to share if I can take the glass home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter