TPA-WDW?

leebee

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of flying into Tampa on our next trip to Disney. I'm curious about the drive from TPA to Disney. It looks like it's about an hour or so, all highway, no tolls- yes? Is it an easy drive? I don't mind being further away (than if we fly into MCO) because the cost savings are significant.

It's more like a 90 minute drive. My daughter loves in Tampa and meets us at Disney. No tolls, but if renting car and staying on site. Add those costs in, parking at resorts is $15-33 depending on resort type, per night.

Agree with @Bjkandma above that you should plan on a 90 minute drive. It might be shorter (75 minutes?) but you can never tell on I-4. Also agree that you won't be encountering any tolls if you are just going from TPA to WDW.

It's a pretty easy drive. Traffic can be crazy so be aware of that. I've attended a conference in Clearwater and did the rental thing. I dropped my rental off at the Dolphin one year and last year at the Wyndham Lake Buena Vista. If you are a Costco member check pricing for rentals through them. No tolls between the two but do check out the toll roads so you know where they are.

We had to drive over to TPA to pick up family early last spring. It is about 75 miles, almost all on the interstate. No tolls. Depending on the time of day, traffic in the Tampa area can slow down. However, once out of the congestion around Tampa the traffic will move very quickly. I recall Google saying ~70 minutes for the 75 miles on the off hours. I agree that to plan on 90 minutes. It is an easy drive except for the intensity of the high speeds. My recollection was the signage was good.

We are thinking of flying into Tampa on our next trip to Disney. I'm curious about the drive from TPA to Disney. It looks like it's about an hour or so, all highway, no tolls- yes? Is it an easy drive? I don't mind being further away (than if we fly into MCO) because the cost savings are significant.

We are going to do the same, but looking into a town car service. Although I just looked at Mears and it seems like they raised their prices significantly ($465 for 1 way, I say no way!!). I am currently looking at quotes from other services.

We are going to do the same, but looking into a town car service. Although I just looked at Mears and it seems like they raised their prices significantly ($465 for 1 way, I say no way!!). I am currently looking at quotes from other services.
Did you ever find any other companies who offered this? I'm looking for the same service!

It is a very easy drive, depending on the time the flight lands. I recommend mapping it out around the time your flight is scheduled to land at TPA. I drive from Lakeland (half way Mark to WDW) to TPA 4 days a week for work and it can either take me 47 minutes, or I have had it take 90. All depends on how FL drivers are driving that day.

Extremely easy drive. If the savings were significant, I'd definitely choose it (and have).

I paid $112.69 to Lyft for the journey last year ... just in case you are considering that option. Tampa airport to MCO.

Extremely easy drive. If the savings were significant, I'd definitely choose it (and have).
I wish that were always the case. Sometimes it is, but other times it can be absolutely brutal.
Brutal to the point that I work in Orlando, but could not bring myself to drive I-4 to Orlando. It can be a true death sentence.
I built a house on the east coast.

Have a look at the map before you drive. The I-275 to I-4 interchange can be a bit of a surprise if you aren't ready for it.

For our trip last March it was cheaper to fly to TPA, rent a car, pay parking and gas than it was to fly into MCO. The drive was about 75 minutes for us on a Sunday afternoon. One thing that might interest you - TPA is WAAAY better than MCO and might be reason enough to fly to TPA instead of MCO.

For our trip last March it was cheaper to fly to TPA, rent a car, pay parking and gas than it was to fly into MCO. The drive was about 75 minutes for us on a Sunday afternoon. One thing that might interest you - TPA is WAAAY better than MCO and might be reason enough to fly to TPA instead of MCO.

Yes, that is what we are doing for our inbound flight. We have done that before!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter