Toy story land opening July 2018?!

I can see this happening Disney needs to bring back Hollywood studios to life! how long can a park survive when is considered a half day park?

Hasn't Summer 2018 always been the projected opening date? I think they will make an official announcement at D23.

Hasn't Summer 2018 always been the projected opening date? I think they will make an official announcement at D23.

I thought it was supposed to open around when Star Wars was because they were announced at the same time and to help with the crowds coming in for Star Wars

I thought it was supposed to open around when Star Wars was because they were announced at the same time and to help with the crowds coming in for Star Wars

That wasn't my impression at all. Seeing as it's all off the shelf additions, and some basic themeing elements, it would not take nearly as long as SW land, and provides something new in the interim.

Star Wars is going to be a much more detailed land with much more technically advanced rides. Therefore it is going to take much longer to build.

Toy Story Land features a flat ride which can be installed in a few months and a kiddie coaster which does not have a whole mountain built around it like some other ones do at WDW. Most of the buildings are simple tilt-wall construction with some giant props plopped down around them. It doesn't take much time to build anything at Toy Story Land.

It should be open prior to that. Memorial Day weekend is a safe bet. Touring Plans is just putting out a guesstimate right now.

Star Wars is going to be a much more detailed land with much more technically advanced rides. Therefore it is going to take much longer to build.

Toy Story Land features a flat ride which can be installed in a few months and a kiddie coaster which does not have a whole mountain built around it like some other ones do at WDW. Most of the buildings are simple tilt-wall construction with some giant props plopped down around them. It doesn't take much time to build anything at Toy Story Land.
If it was a flat ride that only took a few months it would be open by now. It's a little more intricate than that.

If it was a flat ride that only took a few months it would be open by now. It's a little more intricate than that.

The ride system itself could be installed in a few months. It is not that intricate. Seasonal theme parks build similar rides all the time in one winter which they don't start building until after they close for the season in September/October. The rides are ready by when they open for the next season in May. Sure Disney has to spend more time on building the covered pavilion over the ride and queue line to protect it from the elements, and adding some additional props and landscaping. But it isn't like the ride system itself is complex or would take years to build.

The ride system itself could be installed in a few months. It is not that intricate. Seasonal theme parks build similar rides all the time in one winter which they don't start building until after they close for the season in September/October. The rides are ready by when they open for the next season in May. Sure Disney has to spend more time on building the covered pavilion over the ride and queue line to protect it from the elements, and add some additional props and landscaping. But it isn't like the ride system itself is complex or would take years to build.
I agree to an extent. This isn't something I've seen at a seasonal amusement park before but this is a simple flat ride when it comes down to it. It's the same ride system built for Maters in Carsland. I disagree with you that it's something that could be built in a few months. If such was the case it would be finished already.

I agree to an extent. This isn't something I've seen at a seasonal amusement park before but this is a simple flat ride when it comes down to it. It's the same ride system built for Maters in Carsland. I disagree with you that it's something that could be built in a few months. If such was the case it would be finished already.
Seems like they're focusing on the roller coaster first.

I think you are confusing what is possible as far as construction timelines go with the always much slower Disney construction timelines.

Other parks can demolish existing rides and build massive coasters in 8 months. Take, for instance, Cedar Point. I was just there and one of my favorite coasters was Gatekeeper. It is a marvelous 170 foot tall, 4160 foot long B&M wing coaster. Cedar Point built it where 2 other rides were previously. It took them 8 months total to demolish the 2 existing rides (an indoor coaster and a 300+ foot tall sky tower), clear the land, and build this new coaster. That also included completely reconstructing their main entrance gate with 2 tall keyhole towers the coaster twists through (hence the name Gatekeeper). All that work started August 6, 2012. The coaster was completed and testing on April 4, 2013. It opened to the public on May 11, 2013.

By comparison the work to build the alien ride itself is way simpler and on a way smaller footprint. It is a simple flat ride with under-floor mechanics. If someone were to build it on a piece of flat land it would like take them 4 months or less to build the whole thing.

I think you are confusing what is possible as far as construction timelines go with the always much slower Disney construction timelines.

Other parks can demolish existing rides and build massive coasters in 8 months. Take, for instance, Cedar Point. I was just there and one of my favorite coasters was Gatekeeper. It is a marvelous 170 foot tall, 4160 foot long B&M wing coaster. Cedar Point built it where 2 other rides were previously. It took them 8 months total to demolish the 2 existing rides (an indoor coaster and a 300+ foot tall sky tower), clear the land, and build this new coaster. That also included completely reconstructing their main entrance gate with 2 tall keyhole towers the coaster twists through (hence the name Gatekeeper). All that work started August 6, 2012. The coaster was completed and testing on April 4, 2013. It opened to the public on May 11, 2013.

By comparison the work to build the alien ride itself is way simpler and on a way smaller footprint. It is a simple flat ride with under-floor mechanics. If someone were to build it on a piece of flat land it would like take them 4 months or less to build the whole thing.
Disney is building Toy Story land at a pretty quick pace. Like I said earlier this exact ride is in Carsland. Carsland was no small project. Disney is not Cedar Point. Disney also takes longer than other theme/amusement parks because they theme their rides. Sure Slinky Dog won't be incredibly themed but Saucers is. I follow Disney construction on a daily basis.

Using CP as a reference I've had this same discussion with many people. I get that it's easier to work construction in a closed park v. an operating park but CP works through the Ohio winters which definitely hampers the progress. I've never understood why Disney construction takes so long. My favorite winter drives are heading up the chaussey to watch the progress on whatever CP is building that winter. You would think Disney would be able to get their projects moving much quicker than they do.

It should be open prior to that. Memorial Day weekend is a safe bet. Touring Plans is just putting out a guesstimate right now.

Ooh, good to know! We're visiting May 13-19. Probably a bit too early, but maybe we'all luck out and hit a preview day! On our last Orlando trip we unexpectedly got to ride Skull Island at IOA before the open date, so I'm crossing my fingers that happens again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter