Tower of Terror changes?

steve_rob

Mine? Mine? Mine? Mine?
Does anyone know when they changed/updated the Tower of Terror themeing in Disneyland Paris? We were last in the park in 2019 and it was still the old-style five holographic people in the elevator, struck by lightning, starry corridor, then the normal drops sequence.

When we rode it last week, first of all there was no pre-show in the library room (but that's almost certainly a Covid measure), then once in the lift the only person to appear holographically is (click for spoilers) a creepy little girl who appears three or four times to say things like "if you scream it'll only get worse", accompanied by a completely random sequence of drops (we had a quick rise and drop pretty much as soon as the lift doors closed) and personally I thought it worked a lot better - way more spooky and definitely kept you on your toes. Of course that might be just because I wasn't expecting it - I'd heard no news at all of a change to the theme, so anything out of the ordinary was a big surprise.

When did you visit in 2019?
This was changed in September 2019. According to the press release back then, there are 3 versions. I ride it usually once per visit, so never memorize the different sequences.

It was actually in September as it turned out - the RunDisney weekend. Maybe it got changed the week after?

It’s not so much the random drops, which are good, though I had already experienced those on the WDW version of ToT; but rather the changes to the ride theming in terms of speech and characters you see that I was more impressed by and hadn’t heard anything about.

They even launched a special video due to the re-theming if I remember correctly. I think it is this one:

We were there 13-18 September 2019. They switched over to the new sequences during our trip. I think only one shaft was operating the first day with the new overlay. Then the others started, too. We thought they were all great! But liked the little girl best.

I looked it up, it started officially as of the 28th. And with the video it was basically the start of the Halloween season and in 2020 you could hear the song in the park again. Great song, and I love the video!
(Not sure about 2021, I skipped Halloween this year :( )

As you see in the video, it's the mom and the little girl from the original pre-ride video. Like nothing happened the first night the family channel checked into hotel and nothing happened then. But another night, the girl disappeared and the mom runs after her, into the basement. Like in every horror movie.... Don't go into the basement!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!