• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tourist Refund Scheme / GST Refund at Airport on Camera

kylieh

DIS Veteran
Inspired some of Ms Shuttergirl's threads, some research, and in much need of a new point and shoot I purchased today a Canon G11. So I have now a camera, a receipt, and heaps of packaging which I thought I might claim the GST refund on as I leave on Wednesday.... 4 sleeps :cool1:

So, my question is, at the airport I need to show the camera, the receipt, the SD cards I purchased. Do I need to show the packaging or anything like that? Do I get to keep my receipt for warranty purposes / perhaps I should take a copy first?

As usual, thanks always.

Kylieh - have a great time! Between you and Toy Story, I'm beginning to wish that my trip was now instead of in 4 weeks time :rotfl2:

Congratulations on the camera. I'm sure we'll be enjoying your photos shortly :). In the past, we've only had to show the tax invoice - and I think they need to see the original. You'll get back the tax component for purchases > $300 (GST inclusive) on the same receipt.

Taking a copy of the invoice and keeping it at home for warranty purposes seems like a great idea.

Sorry to sound like a bimbo...but where do you go in the airport to do this as we're planning to buy a camera before our holidays as well. Any idea how long it takes to make the claim?

I remember someone else mentioning that you can claim other things as well like books, clothes etc but I can't find the thread.

I don't know about clothes and books...but that would be awesome if we could claim. I'll be running off to do the research shortly :) And here's the link. Looks like we should also have the goods or wear the goods at the claim points as well...

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4646.asp

I can only speak for Melbourne Airport; and am not sure about the other cities.

At Melbourne Airport, once you walk in through the gates and clear security, the booth is located on the Right Hand Side. There were about 3 or 4 people ahead of us. Hubby claimed and it took him about 5 minutes or so. I think he got the refund credited to the credit card.

mmm...I might consider getting some new clothes.....:laughing:

Thanks for all the info. Played with my camera last night, getting used to it. Sounds like I don't have to worry with packaging etc, so I'll leave that all in the cupboard at home.

Certainly dont need the packaging - just the object and receipt of purchase and yes you can claim clothes etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter