Torn ankle ligament...knee scooter, wheelchair or sit-own scooter?

Jchoma

Mouseketeer
I could use some advice. I'm 2 weeks out from a dream WDW trip, and fell and sprained my ankle. I learned today that I've torn my ACFL ligament, and the Dr recommends immobilizing it as much as possible, and using a knee scooter on our trip. I've never had to use one before. I'm trying to figure out if I should get one of those, or rent a sit-down scooter (which I'd really like to avoid!), or use a wheelchair. I can put weight on the ankle and have a brace, but it's pretty painful and I can't go long distances. Clearly, that's a problem at WDW! Any tips or advice? Is a knee scooter fairly comfortable to use? Thanks!

Oh, that’s rotten timing (cyber hugs).

Not used a knee scooter before but wheelchair would need someone strong enough to be able to manoeuvre through the crowds. However, most can be easily folded which might make it easier to move between parks etc.. if it’s just yourself though (or there isn’t someone) then a motorised vehicle would be better as you’d be utterly shattered trying to push yourself (arms aching / neck shoulder pain) in the wheelchair.

Hope you manage to have a brilliant time anyway! A wee pamper session is in order I think

Oh, that’s rotten timing (cyber hugs).

Not used a knee scooter before but wheelchair would need someone strong enough to be able to manoeuvre through the crowds. However, most can be easily folded which might make it easier to move between parks etc.. if it’s just yourself though (or there isn’t someone) then a motorised vehicle would be better as you’d be utterly shattered trying to push yourself (arms aching / neck shoulder pain) in the wheelchair.

Hope you manage to have a brilliant time anyway! A wee pamper session is in order I think

Thank you, I appreciate the 'hugs'! :) It's pretty terrible timing! My husband will be with me (plus our 2 kids- 6 & 10) so he could push me a in chair. I'm leaning towards a knee scooter, but since I've never used one, am not sure if it would very uncomfortable to use one all day across long distances...

And yes- a pamper session IS in order!

My sister had foot surgery a few months ago and had to use knee scooter for a month. So I asked her for her opinion.

She did not recommend it for WDW. She said using it at the grocery store was about the max time she could comfortably use it.

My sister had foot surgery a few months ago and had to use knee scooter for a month. So I asked her for her opinion.

She did not recommend it for WDW. She said using it at the grocery store was about the max time she could comfortably use it.
Thanks, I keep hearing it’s not very comfortable to use for extended periods. I’ve decided to rent an ECV. My poor husband won’t be stuck pushing me (and trying to chase the kids at the same time).

You will be so glad you have the ECV. I had to use one about 10-12 years ago for a stamina issue (turned out I had undiagnosed pneumonia for almost 6 months!) I didn't need it on later trips.

But this past year I have developed a dead nerve in one leg. I can walk some but not long distances so I now have my own ECV for use at Disney and other large venues. I'm kind of glad to have an excuse to use one again. I was always a no bag person - so now I don't have to plan how little stuff I can put in my pockets.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/wheelchair-ecv-rentals-at-walt-disney-world.3598821/ This is a link to a thread about renting an ECV. It has a lot of good information on it. Renting off site is definitely easier and cheaper than renting in the parks.

I think sometimes people overthink how difficult it is going to be to drive an ECV. Just practice some at your hotel. Especially practice backing up and turning around. You will get the hang of it very quickly. Just drive very slow thru crowds.

I've always been able to stop quickly and have never hit anyone. People say that an ECV does not stop on a dime. My experience is otherwise. I let go of the tiller to reach for something I'd dropped (reflex action), and my ECV stopped immediately. The guy behind me ran into me because it stopped so suddenly. But I was going slow when that happened.

Have fun!

Thanks, I keep hearing it’s not very comfortable to use for extended periods. I’ve decided to rent an ECV. My poor husband won’t be stuck pushing me (and trying to chase the kids at the same time).

I know you've already decided on the ECV, but you might consider also bringing a knee scooter for shorter excursions. My 12 year old son used a knee scooter on our trip to DC a couple years ago. It was very easy to transport and use, and it was quite maneuverable. It worked well for him in some tight spaces, plus being a kid he had a great time on the big open floors in the airport and museums! However, it does seem to cause pain on the front of the knee after extended use. We met a young lady also using one, and she was wearing a basketball knee pad, which she said helped.

I know you've already decided on the ECV, but you might consider also bringing a knee scooter for shorter excursions. My 12 year old son used a knee scooter on our trip to DC a couple years ago. It was very easy to transport and use, and it was quite maneuverable. It worked well for him in some tight spaces, plus being a kid he had a great time on the big open floors in the airport and museums! However, it does seem to cause pain on the front of the knee after extended use. We met a young lady also using one, and she was wearing a basketball knee pad, which she said helped.
That's a great recommendation. I bring a walker with me in addition to the ECV. I only use the ECV for park days.

I would say go for the ECV. When you need to walk in/out of rides you'll be able to hobble in with the boot, but you won't want to handle a long day on your feet (or knees). My Hubs is going for achilles surgery next month after a couple dozen years of pain. His pain reached a point that he nearly couldn't walk when we were at DL in September and I was ::this close to renting him a motorized scooter. We just got back from WDW in early November and I encouraged him very strongly to get the ECV during our trip. If he had made a decision sooner (or before we even left home) we would have rented a scooter with an outside company so we wouldn't have to hassle with the rent/return each day at the park. We did end up renting a park scooter for two days of our 3-day trip, and he was very glad he did. He complained that it made him feel like a cripple, but he really knew he needed it and was glad he did it. His pain level was a fraction of what it was on the day he didn't use the scooter. We probably could have had more convenience and a better price with an outside company, but on the flip side he didn't have to hassle with going to/from the hotel in it....not sure which is better.

Using the ECV won’t be a bad as you think. I had to rent one at Disney years back because I fell really badly the first day of our vacation. I was still able to do some light walking. Kids loved it as they took turns riding with me.

ECV is definitely the way to go. We tried pushing a wheel chair a couple of years ago when my daughter had a broken foot and we could not believe how many hills there were that we never realized were there. Also, the pavement has dips and cracks that the wheels get stuck in that normally you wouldn't even notice they are there.

ECV! I used a knee scooter for 3 months with a similar ligament snap. That thing, while way better than crutches ( I couldn' put my foot down) was brutal on my knee and other legs hip. I can see it working for a kid as they are shorter and smaller but for a tall adult it is misery other than short trips to store etc at most. It also isn' t the most stable thing on non flat surfaces that you will find at WDW.
My husband broke his foot right before a Disney trip years back when the kids were little and we rented a wheel chair...again...Not great idea
..miserable trip for me pushing up hills like to the monorail and chasing 3 kids at the same time.
Again you will thank yourself for the ECV!!

I agree, using a knee scooter for more than a short distance would be very hard. I've used knee scooters twice for two different foot surgeries, and they're fine to use around the house or office. I totally agree that using a ECV would be the best way for you to do your park days. But actually, now that I think of it, it might be nice to have a knee scooter for you to use around your hotel. If you're going to rent one anyway, you could bring it and have it handy for short trips around the resort.

I would say go for the ECV. When you need to walk in/out of rides you'll be able to hobble in with the boot, but you won't want to handle a long day on your feet (or knees). My Hubs is going for achilles surgery next month after a couple dozen years of pain. His pain reached a point that he nearly couldn't walk when we were at DL in September and I was ::this close to renting him a motorized scooter. We just got back from WDW in early November and I encouraged him very strongly to get the ECV during our trip. If he had made a decision sooner (or before we even left home) we would have rented a scooter with an outside company so we wouldn't have to hassle with the rent/return each day at the park. We did end up renting a park scooter for two days of our 3-day trip, and he was very glad he did. He complained that it made him feel like a cripple, but he really knew he needed it and was glad he did it. His pain level was a fraction of what it was on the day he didn't use the scooter. We probably could have had more convenience and a better price with an outside company, but on the flip side he didn't have to hassle with going to/from the hotel in it....not sure which is better.
This is our issue right now. DH is having hip replacement the week after we return from WDW (he should have had it years ago). He is fighting it so hard because you know he is a man but I think I'm going to rent one for the 1st two days (2 day minimum) and if he doesn't use it I'm only out $60. If he does, I'm hoping we can extend the resv for the rest of the trip.

Thanks so much for the input, everyone. I'm renting a portable ECV from Scooterbug, since we are driving to the parks each day and it fits in the trunk. I'm a tad nervous about using it on the boat or monorail to MK from the TTC, as well as in the parks, but hopefully it won't be too tough to get the hang of it! On our arrival day, we are not going to the parks, and the ECV is dropped off at the resort and I should have some time to practice. So if you see a nervous-looking woman making lots of starts and stops at CBR on 11/26 (with two kids likely yelling to pop a wheelie), that's me, lol.

I think you made the right choice. I've had to push my Dad in his wheelchair for a long length of time, and it can be difficult on anything but smooth interior floors.

I'm a tad nervous about using it on the boat or monorail to MK from the TTC, as well as in the parks,

I don't think you have anything to worry about. My wife's step mother rented a scooter to use at MK during one of our trips. It worked out fine for her. In fact, we used the scooter as a "pack mule" for our backpacks!

However, you may want to see if you doctor will put you in a walking cast or knee length walking boot. There are rides aren't scooter friendly, and there are times where the scooter parking is not near the entrance to the ride. So, you will have to do some walking to get on the ride. You may want to also take crutches or a cane with you. I had to wear a knee length boot for three weeks several years ago, and I used a cane for additional support so that I didn't lose my balance and fall.

We rode on the monorail and ferries with several people using scooters. On the monorail, the CMs will put down a portable metal ramp that use will drive you scooter on to get on or off the monorail. There might be a delay boarding or disembarking, as the CMs have to get the ramp. The existing ramps on the ferries will work fine for the scooter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter