Top of the World Lounge at Bay Lake Tower at Contemporary Resort - *2 New Parties Added! “Enchantment at the Top” & New “Bound to Be Bad” Dates Added

Yeah I've never been out there either. Here is a picture of it (not the gray part on top, the small curved balcony with the railing, below the gray roof). I imagine it's prohibited now, and only CMs can go out there, but I know it used to be open as I've spoken with other guests that had been out there long ago!

1656526570224.png

Worried the new seating area will be more special events or exclusivity … or whatever they can dream up.
Nah. It's just more seating, to replace the horrible metal benches they used to have up there.

Bay-Lake-Tower-at-Disneys-Contemporary-Resort_Full_7779.jpg

I hope there is a soft opening this July 3rd and 4th for people staying there.

I think if that was going to happen, they would have just picked those nights for the preview parties...which are to showcase all the new stuff. But, one can hope!

Not to relitigate this again, but the disney files mag received today states on p.2 that Top of the world lounge with one asterisk requires an eligible reservation, valid ID and digital DVC Membership Card. The new member experiences and events with two asterisks refers back to the membership extras.
So it seems even white card members with a reservation should have access (i.e. if we still have the digital card in the future) , or they are intentionally confusing the heck out of us.

Not to relitigate this again, but the disney files mag received today states on p.2 that Top of the world lounge with one asterisk requires an eligible reservation, valid ID and digital DVC Membership Card. The new member experiences and events with two asterisks refers back to the membership extras.
So it seems even white card members with a reservation should have access (i.e. if we still have the digital card in the future) , or they are intentionally confusing the heck out of us.
They just want to reserve it for white card members that are currently staying on WDW property. They want a reservation with ID to prove so.

I am both resale and direct, but as i’m sitting on an airplane i’m thinking that perhaps rbis argument is like first class tickets vs main cabin/economy. I know by buying economy im going to be squished up next to someone and get a free water/coke and some small bag of cookies while those who paid more get a plush seat, not squished and an arrangement of great options. each party knew what they would get or not get. i know they took this away from resale but that’s always been a possibility. i don’t mean to stir the pot but it popped in my head as the closed the curtain up front to first class.

I am both resale and direct, but as i’m sitting on an airplane i’m thinking that perhaps rbis argument is like first class tickets vs main cabin/economy. I know by buying economy im going to be squished up next to someone and get a free water/coke and some small bag of cookies while those who paid more get a plush seat, not squished and an arrangement of great options. each party knew what they would get or not get. i know they took this away from resale but that’s always been a possibility. i don’t mean to stir the pot but it popped in my head as the closed the curtain up front to first class.

Yeah this is the same point everyone makes but the difference here is the "rule" that says when a first class person transfers their ticket to maybe a wife/husband... they suddenly get moved to the back of the plane. Also for good measure the attendant walks by and farts in your face and says "see you deserve this". haha

Just like the rules page on the website that has a *, **, I don't think * means that ** doesn't apply...I think this is simply leading you to the bottom to know that it requires a an eligible reservation, ID an digital card. Then the ** is the second rule...which is go back to page 1 to get more detail.

TOTWL is the only thing on this page that has condition. Those are meant to be inclusive....not one vs the other...since nothing else uses the **. If it wasn't part of the TOTWL information, it wouldn't need to even be there.

Normally, if rules will apply to different things there are numbered....the use of *, **, etc. are more typical of stating that all will apply. I teach a graduate level class on line and I use this method for students...one * to start, that leads them to the part of the assignment, that defines some other things using more **...instead of numbering!

Now, I will add that just like the website, they could have simply said it all it in one statement as it would definitely be less confusing.

Last edited:
Yeah this is the same point everyone makes but the difference here is the "rule" that says when a first class person transfers their ticket to maybe a wife/husband... they suddenly get moved to the back of the plane. Also for good measure the attendant walks by and farts in your face and says "see you deserve this". haha
Oh man, I really tried to not reply I simply can't help myself!

Going back to the first class coach analogy... It works if you're equating blue card perks in general to first class. But as said here if I buy a first class ticket from the airline and could theoretically sell it to someone else the buyer shouldn't have sit in coach because he bought it from me instead of directly from the airline. The explanation that the airline prefers to sell tickets directly for higher prices doesn't justify the practice in my mind whether it's legal and disclosed or not.

If the analogy is equating access to totwl specifically to first class then it fails because we aren't even offered the opportunity to pay for it. Anyone can buy a first class ticket but not everyone can buy a ticket to an event at totwl lounge or just go there and spend $. That's part of my hang up. Epcot lounge as I understand it is a nice quiet break from the crowds and heat with some free snacks and soft drinks whereas totwl is a cash bar. I don't understand restricting willing customers from a cash bar that has historically struggled to turn a profit, there's a kind of snub there, you and your money aren't welcome here. And of course none of this even touches on the basic fact that your paying to stay at a resort but can't go to a bar at that resort. And good Lord please no one explain the intricacies of who operates the bar and for what purpose because I don't know... Common sense and forest for trees and all that! Free or discounted food and drink, exclusive events from time to time, priority admission and seating, ok fine but the complete and total exclusion will always strike me as absurd.

Going back to the first class coach analogy... It works if you're equating blue card perks in general to first class. But as said here if I buy a first class ticket from the airline and could theoretically sell it to someone else the buyer shouldn't have sit in coach because he bought it from me instead of directly from the airline. The explanation that the airline prefers to sell tickets directly for higher prices doesn't justify the practice in my mind whether it's legal and disclosed or not.

If the analogy is equating access to totwl specifically to first class then it fails because we aren't even offered the opportunity to pay for it. Anyone can buy a first class ticket but not everyone can buy a ticket to an event at totwl lounge or just go there and spend $. That's part of my hang up. Epcot lounge as I understand it is a nice quiet break from the crowds and heat with some free snacks and soft drinks whereas totwl is a cash bar. I don't understand restricting willing customers from a cash bar that has historically struggled to turn a profit, there's a kind of snub there, you and your money aren't welcome here. And of course none of this even touches on the basic fact that your paying to stay at a resort but can't go to a bar at that resort. And good Lord please no one explain the intricacies of who operates the bar and for what purpose because I don't know... Common sense and forest for trees and all that! Free or discounted food and drink, exclusive events from time to time, priority admission and seating, ok fine but the complete and total exclusion will always strike me as absurd.
but i’m just equating a person deciding between resale and direct and initial ticket. i know going in buying an economy flight i’m not getting first class stuff and different flights and different airlines offer different oerks

In normal realm it does...but in terms of the purpose for this move? It doesn't. Think of all those cash guests at BLT all these years who had no idea they couldn't visit...and they never made an exception when it was slower...which TBH, surprised me that they did not.

But, now that DVD pays for it...and you know this...they don't need to make a profit...just like Epcot Lounge... But, they will make money to offset the cost they are now paying so its why I think this is the first of many!

but i’m just equating a person deciding between resale and direct and initial ticket. i know going in buying an economy flight i’m not getting first class stuff and different flights and different airlines offer different oerks

I think you are right and that there are so many examples that equate. I think the hard part about this is that TOTWL was open to all and why people think its a different situation than the Epcot Lounge. That was never opened to resale buyers. Result is the same though...exclusion...

And, the fact that DVD is giving up making more money by limiting who gets to pay for food and drinks...which seems odd...the whole reason is to market it as exclusive and you can't do that if everyone can go...trade off and they must think at this point, whatever bar and food costs they lose from resale buyers, are worth it.

I am still wondering, just based on the language, if this is now going to have capacity limits to just the seating (they added more outside) and that when that is full, so will the lounge...no more letting everyone up if you can't get a seat..

So, even for those who are eligible, the rules could end up different...maybe there will be no more popping up 10 minutes before fireworks, to watch and go...for anyone.

Last edited:
I think you are right and that there are so many examples that equate. I think the hard part about this is that TOTWL was open to all and why people think its a different situation than the Epcot Lounge. That was never opened to resale buyers. So, result is the same...exclusion...but one was from the start and this is not.

And, the fact that it seems that DVD is giving up money...they are from limiting who get to pay for food and drinks...which seems odd...but then again, the whole reason is to market it as exclusive and you can't do that if everyone can go...trade off and they must think at this point, whatever bar and food costs they lose from resale buyers, are worth it.

I am still wondering, just based on the language, if this is now going to have capacity limits to just the seating (they added more outside) and that when that is full, so will the lounge...no more letting everyone up if you can't get a seat..
I think once they see impact of blue card members being restricted from the exclusive white card events that hilltopper and I are organizing they'll be changing their tune. These are going to be some epic white card parties going on at the ping pong tables shuffle board and volley ball courts!

This is a more big-picture aside, but...

This whole discussion reminds me a little bit of Stormalong Bay back in the dim history of time when (IIRC) it was the only pool not eligible for pool hopping. It's a nice pool, and it has some cool features, but at least in my experience it is not all that and a bag of chips. It's a pool with a decent slide, some sand at the zero-entry bit, and a lazy "river" that's probably not 100 feet from one end to the other.

There are plenty of perfectly fine pools at WDW. There are also some very nice pool complexes at non-Disney resorts that are arguably as much or more fun than SAB. But, the fact that it was exclusive made it much more desirable, and suddenly it was the Best. Pool. In. The. World---not just Disney World, mind you. Only the few worthy guests at BCV could swim there. (Well, those folks plus the unwashed masses who rented hotel rooms at YC/BC, but still.)

Now that many of the WDW pools are ineligible, it's much less of a big deal. Sure, it's still (arguably) the best WDW pool, but it doesn't garner nearly the attention it did back in the day. I suspect that's at least in part because it is now just one of many exclusive you-can't-hop-there pools. Heck, there's even a Value Pool complex you can't hop to. The nerve! Many of these other pools are quite nice in their own regard.

Similarly, TotW is the one place anywhere on property where only the True Members can pay $20 for a watered-down cocktail. There are many (many!) other places where one can do that. Some of them even have impressive views of theme park fireworks, and one has nice views of MK itself--and you can walk there from BLT without leaving cover.

But, those places are not exclusive. And this place is. It's very exclusive nature is part of what makes it such a "big deal." Viewed objectively, it's not that big of a deal. Anyone who has seen the fireworks from there (or California Grill) can tell you that while it is a neat experience, it's probably not the view most people would prefer most of the time because the aerial shots are well to the side of the castle. Particularly with the more recent shows, the castle is a big part of the experience. The villains vibe will probably amp up the TotW experience a notch, sure. Enough to send me into mourning? Probably not.

That's not to say that folks aren't upset. It's a thing some people used to be able to do, and they can't do it anymore. That's a bummer, for sure. But, given all of the many other things one can do on while at the Vacation Kingdom, maybe it will turn out to be less of a big deal than it feels like right now.

I guess we will find out when it opens. To me anyway, the description is written by Diercksen in the new Disney files it clearly seems to distinguish between access to the lounge (all members with a reservation) and new experiences and events (membership extras). Perhaps DVD is only newly funding the additional events as a new perk, the other funding/access remains the same. It seems silly to limit access to only blue members with reservations during most times. If so, I guess it will have low crowds so good for you.

ETA - in response to Brian Noble..

Excellent points. For me personally it's more 'never got to do it' instead of 'can't do it anymore' and it should probably be a comforting and telling point to note there there seem to be very few people upset that they can't do it anymore.... But you're absolutely right, it's the forbidden fruit principle. If you offer me apples and/or bananas I'll probably change my choice each time. But as soon as you say sorry no more bananas for you, only apples, irrationally my desire for bananas will increase! The same works in reverse too, the offensive snub factor. Like if I try to go and they say sorry we're at capacity no more guests, I'd be disappointed but if instead they say sorry you're not allowed here and the place is practically empty it would feel worse. It's the same end result for me but they have different impacts.
And I look forward to discovering all the other watering holes and fireworks viewing spots and one of these days I will finally resist taking the bait here to justify my miffed feelings!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!