Top 5 Funny things guest did that could have been prevented by listening to the podcast

1) It is good to be an über planner
This story was from two years ago, but I still love to tell it. While sitting in inoventions, a family came running in to get out of the rain. The mother took out of her backpack, an "unofficial" guide book and bunch of laminated cards. She gave her husband and each kids a card. She said since we have to wait, lets all vote on where we should go next. From what I could see the cards were labeled Epcot in big yellow letters and it looked like it had lists of attractions. The mother than began to read the descriptions of the various rides. The guide book had many different color tabs and looked like she was reading from the yellow tabbed section. The kids were from ages ten to sixteen by the way they looked. They talked and discussed which ride sounded the best. They all agreed on what to do and gave the mother the cards back. She then past out ponchos and off they went.

Now I know you are wondering why I think this story is funny. Well they voted to ride Body wars at the wonder's of life pavilion. This ride at the time had been closed for over eight years so they must have been using a very old guide book. You would think people that organized would have updated thier materials.

I am friends with the owners of a seasonal consignment sale. When one of the very nice ladies told me they had saved a guide book out of the donations for me, I was tickled. But when I saw it was from 2010, I kindly thanked them for thinking of me and left it for donation. :sad2::sad2::sad2: Perhaps someone else can use the old pictures for scrapbook backgrounds or something.

those that came WITH me, offered no input, and then tried to change things on the spot, when we were already there? - said "I"ll do whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it, plan everything for us."
Nothing is more frustrating that this, one was my sister who said "I know nothing about Disney, I want to do everything just plan it I am up for whatever" an hour into Magic Kingdom she didn't understand why we were still at the park she thought that the majority of the day would be at the outlet mall and by the pool :rolleyes2

i quit helping people........they dont listen......spent days with one couple and they started out by trying to check into POFQ instead of POR and it went downhill from there and somehow it became my fault.

i quit helping people........they dont listen......spent days with one couple and they started out by trying to check into POFQ instead of POR and it went downhill from there and somehow it became my fault.
Well at least they could just walk over to Riverside from French Quarter.

they started out by trying to check into POFQ instead of POR
That's a pretty honest mistake.

We once tried to check in to the Ramada Maingate East instead of the Ramada Maingate West, and we know what we're doing. We just never realized there were 2 hotels named Ramada Maingate.

Last edited:

Before this here internet fad came along we bought at least one WDW guide each year, even if we had no plans to go. It seems like most issues people get themselves into have to do with a lack of planning. My "funny thing" had nothing to do with planning.

We were at Ft Wilderness for Hoop Dee Do, and knowing the transportation system ended up there an hour early. We sat on the beach watching kids play tetherball until a mom came along with four kids, one of whom was in a wheel chair. While the other kids played in the lake 10 feet from a 'No Swimming' sign, the mom carried the one from her wheel chair and sat her in about 2 feet of water. I wish I still had the phone with the pic of them by the warning sign.

Theirs was a language problem. I think I either said "hungry cayman" or "I want to eat your children", but either way between that and pointing at the sign they left quickly.

@WebmasterPete there is a sports caster in Philadelphia named Ricky Ricardo (I'm not joking) who did the Phillies games (now sadly he does the Yankees) in Spanish as well hosts radio talk show in English; Such amazing deep timbre I have found myself listening to his Spanish play by play. Please consider him for an Espanol version of the podcasts, or at least get him to record your closing line.
I laughed so hard at this

I'll give you 5 fastpasses though. Can't use them on FOP, so don't even try.
When we arrived on May 31, we were late due to a flight delay and then had a problem at check in. We were in a rush because we had FPs that evening that we didn't want to miss. The CM at the desk said, "That's no problem. Tell me what FPs you have and we can take care of that." I said they were for FOP and his face dropped and he said, "Oh, never mind." So even Disney themselves can't get FPs for that, or at least they couldn't at that point.

That's a pretty honest mistake.

We once tried to check in to the Ramada Maingate East instead of the Ramada Maingate West, and we know what we're doing. We just never realized there were 2 hotels named Ramada Maingate.
I tried checking in at the wrong Rosen hotel in Orlando. The odd part was, it was about 10 minutes of the person behind the counter asking me if I was SURE I had a reservation there and me saying I was before they finally said, "There is another Rosen, are you sure you didn't book that one?"

You'd think that would have come up after about 3 minutes.

When we arrived on May 31, we were late due to a flight delay and then had a problem at check in. We were in a rush because we had FPs that evening that we didn't want to miss. The CM at the desk said, "That's no problem. Tell me what FPs you have and we can take care of that." I said they were for FOP and his face dropped and he said, "Oh, never mind." So even Disney themselves can't get FPs for that, or at least they couldn't at that point.

I was given one of those "golden FPs" last year. I was told I could use it anywhere on property... except Frozen of course.

Each year there seems to be a new attraction where FPs are even beyond Disney's control.

But what's more interesting is to remember that all the commotion over FoP, FEE, SDMT... this is all a mere appetizer for the chaos that Star Wars Land will bring.

I always think about, and feel sorry for, the CM's and other employees that have to explain to the clueless, irate folks all different kinds of "issues". And especially if they have to try to politely steer around saying "Ummm......it's your fault!". Been there done that, in my job, and that's SOME feat!! :rolleyes1 :crazy2:s

All of us eat, sleep, and breathe this stuff but the reality is that we represent a tiny sliver of the guest population. The vast majority of the traveling public doesn't even have the slightest hint of a clue about how this all works.

Exactly! If everyone were as vigilent, it'd be difficult to have as much fun with the strategies we use. Let's hope they stay in the dark.

DD and I play "Disney Bingo " while roaming the parks using incidents just like these. We have little game cards made up & mark them as we hear:
I spent a lot of money in this trip and you better have fun!!!
I don't care if my kid is too short to ride. I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON THIS VACATION and he's going on!!!

Then there are the glamour queens in 5 inch heels, the daisy duke shorts, the list goes on and on.

It's s great game!

DD and I play "Disney Bingo " while roaming the parks using incidents just like these. We have little game cards made up & mark them as we hear:
I spent a lot of money in this trip and you better have fun!!!
I don't care if my kid is too short to ride. I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON THIS VACATION and he's going on!!!

Then there are the glamour queens in 5 inch heels, the daisy duke shorts, the list goes on and on.

It's s great game!

You must share the rest of the game board! LOL! This sounds like a blast!! I know...I'm terrible, but spending that kind of money and not researching is just ridiculous.
Even if you don't do the research, every email from Disney mentions something about FP or how many days till you can book ADR's. I love that they help me count everything down.

One time I saw an Asian guest at Rose and Crown try to pay for drinks with British pounds. When the bartender explained the dollar is the necessary currency, the man looked at his wife with horror. I did not understand his language, so I'm not certain what he was frantically saying to his wife. But he was pointing to a lot of different currencies in his wallet (I definitely saw Itailian money). So I think he was under the assumption he needed different currencies for each country in the World Showcase.

One time I saw an Asian guest at Rose and Crown try to pay for drinks with British pounds. When the bartender explained the dollar is the necessary currency, the man looked at his wife with horror. I did not understand his language, so I'm not certain what he was frantically saying to his wife. But he was pointing to a lot of different currencies in his wallet (I definitely saw Itailian money). So I think he was under the assumption he needed different currencies for each country in the World Showcase.
Aww that made me cringe. I'm just imagining that as a foreign guest who does not speak english well or understand it enough could easily think different countries=different currency. Poor guy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter