Tokyo Dining on NYE?

brave321

Mouseketeer
If we get a reservation an hour or so before the midnight fireworks, does Tokyo Dining have a reserved place to view the fireworks? It says something about a balcony view on the website, is that open to everyone or just those at Tokyo Dining?

The "balcony" (more of a deck to Americans) wraps around the pavilion, is accessible from a couple of staircases (especially the large one in front), and open to pedestrians. It's one of the most recommended spots for viewing Illuminations.

No, there is no reserved spot to view the fireworks. Tokyo Dining is inside the pavilion with windows that face out into the balcony. There are some tables by the windows, and much, but not all, of the dining room has some angle on the windows. But there will still be people outside those windows on the balcony.

Last edited:
Balcony is part of the whole pavilion, accessible from the big staircase, and open to everyone. It's one of the most popular spots for viewing Illuminations, I expect more so for NYE. It's also a popular spot for people setting up tripods.

No, there is no reserved spot to view the fireworks. The restaurant has windows that face out to the balcony. It's luck of what table you get to how close you are to the windows.
If people are standing on the balcony can you still see the fireworks from inside the restaurant (like at one of the tables near the window)?

If people are standing on the balcony can you still see the fireworks from inside the restaurant (like at one of the tables near the window)?

Can you see them? Yes. Is it as good a view as the balcony? No.

Japan-Pavilion-023.jpg

Those windows on the near side are Toyko dining. You are not elevated significantly (if at all) over the people standing on the balcony. It's a nice view while dining, but not if fireworks are the priority.

Can you see them? Yes. Is it as good a view as the balcony? No.

Japan-Pavilion-023.jpg

Those windows on the near side are Toyko dining. You are not elevated significantly (if at all) over the people standing on the balcony. It's a nice view while dining, but not if fireworks are the priority.
We will be there on NYE so I was just wondering about crowds and if there was ANY way to to get a less crowded view of the fireworks without paying hundreds.

I'm not sure how early people start waiting out there (especially for NYE) so I'm not sure if it'd be possible to eat there and then wait out in the balcony

Last edited:
We will be there on NYE so I was just wondering about crowds and if there was ANY way to to get a less crowded view of the fireworks without paying hundreds.

I'm not sure how early people start waiting out there (especially for NYE) so I'm not sure if it'd be possible to eat there and then wait out in the balcony
If you book a late enough reservation it seems you should be able to sit and enjoy your meal and then do the mad rush to the window when the fireworks start without paying extra money:). I assume the staff is used to this and might offer you a bubbly libation ahead of time. No idea if you have to pay or not for it.
I'm used to being able to see the NYE fireworks from Central Park so will be happy to get a similar meal and view @ M. Paul. Saw the to do at Times Square once in life and now I'm done, LOL.

Last edited:

If you book a late enough reservation it seems you should be able to sit and enjoy your meal and then do the mad rush to the window when the fireworks start without paying extra money:). I assume the staff is used to this and might offer you a bubbly libation ahead of time. No idea if you have to pay or not for it.
I'm used to being able to see the NYE fireworks from Central Park so will be happy to get a similar meal and view @ M. Paul. Saw the to do at Times Square once in life and now I'm done, LOL.
Do you think 9:30 would be late enough? Or would that be pushing it?

I'm thinking that there will be fireworks at midnight and probably earlier as well but haven't seen the schedule yet. The operating hours on NYE are as follows:

Tokyo Dining
Sunday December 31, 2017
Lunch
12:00 PM - 3:45 PM
Dinner
4:00 PM - 11:55 PM

So I'd try to make a ressie as late as possible.
Have fun out there and HTH!

I'm thinking that there will be fireworks at midnight and probably earlier as well but haven't seen the schedule yet. The operating hours on NYE are as follows:

Tokyo Dining
Sunday December 31, 2017
Lunch
12:00 PM - 3:45 PM
Dinner
4:00 PM - 11:55 PM

So I'd try to make a ressie as late as possible.
Have fun out there and HTH!

I have one for 9:40. Do you think watching them from inside Tokyo Dining is a good idea though even with the crowds. I know there will be fireworks at midnight.

I have one for 9:40. Do you think watching them from inside Tokyo Dining is a good idea though even with the crowds. I know there will be fireworks at midnight.
Hard for me to say as truly this will be my first Disney experience over the December holidays.

I'm using videos from youtube, reading data from this and other sites to make our plans. I will say that I'm seeing "children of all ages" on the Epcot vids not just the drinking age crowd which is good to know and makes it different from the once and done Times Sq. New Year's Eve I did. What you don't see on TV is that most of the people are kept behind well policed barricades. I saw a cute silent dancing event over by Japan. All the dancers had headphones so they could hear the music but onlookers couldn't, LOL.

I will say that the floor to ceiling windows @ Tokyo Dining make me think you'll still be able to see over the heads of anyone outside on the balcony.

Hopefully, posters who have been there will chime in with more thoughts as time goes on :).

Hard for me to say as truly this will be my first Disney experience over the December holidays.

I'm using videos from youtube, reading data from this and other sites to make our plans. I will say that I'm seeing "children of all ages" on the Epcot vids not just the drinking age crowd which is good to know and makes it different from the once and done Times Sq. New Year's Eve I did. What you don't see on TV is that most of the people are kept behind well policed barricades. I saw a cute silent dancing event over by Japan. All the dancers had headphones so they could hear the music but onlookers couldn't, LOL.

I will say that the floor to ceiling windows @ Tokyo Dining make me think you'll still be able to see over the heads of anyone outside on the balcony.

Hopefully, posters who have been there will chime in with more thoughts as time goes on :).
Thanks so much for your help! Hope your vacation goes well!

So I am one of those people who watched the fireworks on NYE from the balcony of Tokyo Dining but did not have dinner there. People were getting a spot by the railing about an hour before? It got pretty crowded up there towards midnight but if you were at the railing the view was good. People got their spot and did not move.

Eat when you want and then go back and get a spot at the railing about an hour before. People had noisemakers and hats and were just hanging out there.

We have a ressie for 10:30 @ Tokyo. Do you think that would work or is it too late? We won't be having a big dinner - more of a midnight snack. Will we be able to get out to the balcony if we go out at 11:30?

We have a ressie for 10:30 @ Tokyo. Do you think that would work or is it too late? We won't be having a big dinner - more of a midnight snack. Will we be able to get out to the balcony if we go out at 11:30?
Maybe you should eat or drink slowwwwly (and possibly plan on eating/drinking a tad more;)) in order to stretch a snack into a 1 to 1.5 hour meal.
I suspect that the crowd will have discovered the balcony by 11:30 and a contingency plan should be in place:).
My thoughts are assuming you are talking about NYE.

Last edited:
Yes, on NYE. I'm sure we can find a way to slow things down! I've never been to Epcot on NYE nor eaten at Tokyo. I thought having an ADR would give us a place to go for a break if the crowds got really intense, but I don't know if that's a good strategy or not. How crowded does it get up there?

Yes, on NYE. I'm sure we can find a way to slow things down! I've never been to Epcot on NYE nor eaten at Tokyo. I thought having an ADR would give us a place to go for a break if the crowds got really intense, but I don't know if that's a good strategy or not. How crowded does it get up there?
How crowded it feels is subjective and based solely on the individual. I'd suggest you take a look at some youtube vids of NYE celebrations @ Epcot and judge for yourself:).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter