To Schlep or not to Schlep, that is the question (DSLR vs. iPhone photography)

DerangedChipmunk

Mouseketeer
Do you bring a DSLR camera with you on the ship?

My worries are:
  • water damage
  • weight
  • theft
but I love taking photos and I'm not sure if I will ever have the opportunity to cruise again, so I feel like I should get the photos while I can.

What do you do?

I do bring the DSLR and use it a lot when we do itineraries like Alaska or Northern Europe, but for a regular Bahamian/Caribbean cruise I use my $100 point and click Nikon Coolpix far more. It takes better pictures than my phones (especially action shots) and is fully waterproof and drop proof. We even took it with us on rides at Atlantis and in water parks. It's also sand proof and we have used it a lot at CC. I'm not worried about it getting stolen, and I just carry it with one of those floating wrist straps. I *love* that thing. And it charges with just a micro USB so I don't have to worry about bringing a separate battery charger like for the DSLR.

I don't have a DSLR - just a nice Canon point and shoot. Anyways, I used our first cruise as an excuse to buy a waterproof camera. I like not having to worry about sand or water and takes pretty nice photos. I also don't have to worry about where to store it if I want to go in the water on the beach.

Bring the dSLR. The ship is gorgeous, and as soon as you try to zoom in on details with a phone, the quality is reduced. Even if you don't bring the camera off the ship (the safes are good sized now that they are drawer style), it will still be worth having it. But then again, I'm the person that hauls the dSLR, the waterproof point and shoot and the phone around. Each style camera has their place.

I brought 3 cameras and an phone. Each had it's uses. I didn't worry about theft in the stateroom and I didn't take my expensive cameras out where I'd have to leave them.

My worries are:
  • water damage
  • weight
  • theft
but I love taking photos and I'm not sure if I will ever have the opportunity to cruise again, so I feel like I should get the photos while I can.

What do you do?
I bought a point and shoot for the cruise and was glad I had something that was easier to handle than my iPhone (plus I was worried less about theft/damage or forgetting to shut off something data-wise) and lightweight. With two young girls, my dslr wasn’t an option this time around at all. Maybe in the future, but only for Alaska or Europe.

I brought a DSLR, iPhone, waterproof Nikon point and shoot with us to Alaska. On whale watching day, naturally, I brought my DSLR, with zoom lens and got some AMAZING shots...whale spouts, barnacles on the back of the whales, their flukes. Loved them all, though I hated schelpping the monstrosity around. The next day we went on a crabbing tour and I didn't want to schlep the DSLR, figuring it's just crab, no big deal. I'm not going to bother. I'll just use the iPhone. I regret it every time I look at the pics. We happened upon an island full of eagles. The iPhone, though great, just could not keep up and didn't cut it. All those beautiful eagles, turned out just crappy in the iPhone pics. I'm still kicking myself for not bringing the DSLR that day.

As for the waterproof Nikon (and I love Nikons, my DSLR is a Nikon) but the point and shoot...it was crap. I've used it before in the Caribbean and I'm thankful for it for underwater shots, but it just can't keep up with even cell phone camera technology these days.

My DSLR goes with me wherever we travel. The iPhone isn't in the same realm, and just doesn't cut it for me. That being said, I'm currently researching the mirrorless options. Those cameras have come along way - so much so that in some ways they have surpassed my DSLR. I'm waiting on pulling the trigger until Canon and Nikon come out with their full frame mirrorless options which is rumored to be this Fall. I'd love to lighten up on what I carry when we travel, but I won't sacrifice quality when it comes to photography.

Bring the dSLR. The ship is gorgeous, and as soon as you try to zoom in on details with a phone, the quality is reduced. Even if you don't bring the camera off the ship (the safes are good sized now that they are drawer style), it will still be worth having it. But then again, I'm the person that hauls the dSLR, the waterproof point and shoot and the phone around. Each style camera has their place.

Agreed.

I agree with this. I bring all 3 as well (and multiple lenses for the DSLR). I don't necessarily bring the DSLR with me everywhere once off the ship but there are places I wouldn't want to be without it!

DSLR-I shoot Nikon and the GoPro, for waterproof, excursion video/stills. Too many beautiful shots that might be missed. My daughter uses her iphone and catches some fun shots with that. Not as good of quality, but it is nice to have someone backing me up! LOL

My worries are:
  • water damage
  • weight
  • theft

What do you do?
It seems you are into photography and know what you are doing. If you can use a DSLR camera correctly. Bring it!!! I on the other hand cannot use a camera where I get better shots with my iphone. I‘d bring the camera.

If you have any plans to make a photo book, the iPhone photos will be very disappointing. I agree with the responses above to bring 3 cameras and depending upon the activity, bring the appropriate camera.

I bring my DSLR for around the ship and some excursions, a waterproof camera for beach excursions and an LX100 for street type photography.
I seldom use my iphone for photos, too disappointing.

A question I asked myself almost every trip anymore... My answer used to be an unequivocal "yes". I brought it on our first cruise, but didn't take it out of the bag. With all we were busy doing, I didn't want to "schlep" it around.

I'm quite happy with my Pixel XL camera, and between that and the Photo package I don't feel like we missed anything.

As others have said, the ship is beautiful, and no matter what your itinerary there are plenty of amazing shots to be had (though certain ones, like Alaska, would surely be more enticing than others). If you're into photography, you may want to take it.

It depends on your personal preference... I'm already schlepping enough around with 2 kids, so I'm going to leave the DSLR at home next time (though I may bring the smaller Canon G16 just in case). But if/when we do Alaska, I'll bring it.

Bring the DLSR. Wife bought me a nice camera backpack for Christmas that makes it very easy to take not only my camera, but also a few additional lenses. The iPhone camera is getting very good and there are certain lighting conditions where the iPhone will outperform the DSLR, unless you plan to do some editing. The HDR can really help with uncontrolled lighting variations for example. But the overall speed and quality of the DLSR shows through in most scenarios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter