To hop or not to hop??

3DisMunchkins

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to put together a quick budgeted trip this August.
We will be able to do a max of 4 days and have always had hoppers in the past most recently AP for 2017/18. I'm considering not getting hoppers this year to save on cost, but was wondering what would happen if we had 5 day passes. Can you use 2 days of a 5 day pass and enter both parks on one day? I know this is not the intent of the pass but thought it might be worth the extra $15 in case one day is crazy busy and we really want to go to the other park?
I'm guessing the answer is no, but just curious.
thanks!
Jana

With three kids, the price of Hoppers really adds to the expense of the trip. At $50 more each, it adds up with a family of 5. $250!!!! You can get a 1-park-per-day 5 day ticket for $35/less each. For that, you can stay an extra night at a hotel and have a 5th day in one of the parks. Honestly, unless I'm doing a very short 1-2 day trip, I really don't NEED the hopper option. I usually start and end the day in one park. It gives me more of a bubble of magic feeling.

We've always done hoppers, but on our most recent trip a couple of weeks ago, we did 3day, 1park/day tickets. Honestly, I really didn't miss the hopper. BUT, I think that was because of the length of the trip. If I were to go for anything more than 3 days in the future, I think I'd go back to hoppers.

I would spend money on MP before hoppers but if it were me I would do both on a 4-5 day trip.

ETA - If I only had two days I would likely skip the hopper. I think it is a fixed price right? No matter the number of days? So the cost per day goes day on longer trips.

Last edited:
We used to hop, but our last three trips we haven't and honestly have not missed it. Just PLAN ahead for what shows/parades/events, etc. are taking place in each park so you hit the "right" park for what you want to do on a particular day. I agree I'd rather put the savings towards MP than hopping.

We always buy park hoppers, but this trip think we may forgo it and get MP instead. The reason we are doing that is because like the OP, we are booked for an August trip (first time using our DVC points, so excited). Our thought is that Disneyland will reach max capacity most days because of SWGE, so park hoppers will be rendered essentially half useless if you want to “hop” back to Disneyland later in the day. We are thinking we’ll have to pick a park and stick with it anyway. I’ve never tried to leave and come back when they shut down entry, but I’m assuming once you are out you can’t come back in (even if you were already in earlier). Someone with more max capacity experience please chime in if that line of thinking is incorrect.

Thanks everyone! I think we'll just forgo the hoppers this year. Not sure yet on MP, will most likely just old school it and use FP. We've been many times so doing everything multiple times is not a must. Kids will just be excited to go, because I told them they were going to have to wait til next year!
Can't wait to surprise them!

We always buy park hoppers, but this trip think we may forgo it and get MP instead. The reason we are doing that is because like the OP, we are booked for an August trip (first time using our DVC points, so excited). Our thought is that Disneyland will reach max capacity most days because of SWGE, so park hoppers will be rendered essentially half useless if you want to “hop” back to Disneyland later in the day. We are thinking we’ll have to pick a park and stick with it anyway. I’ve never tried to leave and come back when they shut down entry, but I’m assuming once you are out you can’t come back in (even if you were already in earlier). Someone with more max capacity experience please chime in if that line of thinking is incorrect.
When in August? Unless you’re going right when the APs get back in, I can’t imagine gate closure capacity issues... unless maybe ROTR opens?

Middle August. Just unsure how this thing will unfold, as is everyone else. Luck favors the prepared mentality I suppose.

Thanks everyone! I think we'll just forgo the hoppers this year. Not sure yet on MP, will most likely just old school it and use FP. We've been many times so doing everything multiple times is not a must. Kids will just be excited to go, because I told them they were going to have to wait til next year!
Can't wait to surprise them!
Exciting! Are you surprising them?
I say forgo the hoppers too. We have also had APs and hopped. The year we went without APs we didn't hop. Both ways are nice and doable.

I told my kids no more trips until our youngest turns 4. Her birthday is Oct 1, so they have said we should go in October for Halloween. But that is actually a busy, crowded time. I checked and early August had cheaper rooms than October. Plus I teach so school season isn't the best time to go. So I booked a few days at a refundable hotel for August. Haven't decided if we'll go or not, but if we do it will be a surprise.

We always hopped, but last week we bought 5 day one park per day (Canadian rate) and did not miss the hopping at all! It was easier to manage our days. Easier to find each other. Used that extra money for MaxPass instead. totally worth it!

We always hopped, but last week we bought 5 day one park per day (Canadian rate) and did not miss the hopping at all! It was easier to manage our days. Easier to find each other. Used that extra money for MaxPass instead. totally worth it!

This is our plan. We will be there for four days. We were actually considering only buying MP one or two days. Thoughts on whether or not MP every day is important? Which park do you think it's most important to have MP? Thanks!

This is our plan. We will be there for four days. We were actually considering only buying MP one or two days. Thoughts on whether or not MP every day is important? Which park do you think it's most important to have MP? Thanks!
Consider buying MP for just you each day for photo purposes. I would say if you are going to do 2 days of MP for your family then do one day at each park. That way you can hit all the major rides in each park

I’d pick no hopping if that meant you could use maxpass all of the days. There are plenty of ways to escape the crowds without hopping to the other park.

I’m a big ride junkie, so to me having maxpass all the time would be ideal. Also, maxpass includes photopass so if you want pictures that is another plus.
I think DCA is most important for maxpass because they have less rides. All of their good rides are extremely popular (I.e Cars, Guardians, Toy Story, Soarin), so the lines for them can build early on. Whenever I’m on a hardcore ride day, I notice I can get through a lot of rides without fastpasses at DL, versus DCA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter