To All Atlanta Area DVC'ers

goofylarry46

Mouseketeer
We are leaving for WDW next week. We live in Lawrenceville and are driving down. We would like to know if there is a faster way to go than straight down I-85 to I-75. Any suggestions? Thanks!

We just got back. We live in Buford.

There and back took just over seven and a half hours. In each case we stopped once for about 30 minutes and a second time for about 5 minutes. We took I-85 to I-75 and then the turn pike. On the way we went through town and on the way back we took 285.

The only thing we do is to get off the turn pike a little early. We get of on FL 50 which takes us to 535. We come out right at the crossroads shopping center by Down Town Disney.

Have fun!!!! .....only 487 miles to go.....

Hi.
We live in Marietta.
We usually take I75 to Florida Turnpike, then Route 27 to Highway 192.
(Going around Macon on I475.)
This way avoids much of the Orlando traffic.

You can go to
MSN MAPS

I did it once for you down below. MSN always gives you different ways depending on what you type in. We prefer the way I mentioned above. Years back on RADP someone sent me these directions as they had to travel down alot for work. It now has become our way of going. You can also reverse your directions on MSN.

We just got back. kdonnel has it right, about seven and half hours with kids in the car. This last trip we actually shaved off an hour coming home, but we were without the kids.

Directions Distance Time
Start: Depart Start on Capitol Sq SW [Mitchell St SW] (West) < 0.1 < 1min
1: Turn LEFT (South) onto Washington St SW 0.5 0:01
2: Merge onto Pulliam St SW 0.2 0:01
3: Take Ramp (LEFT) onto I-75 [I-85] (I-85 / I-75) 68.3 1:09
4: At exit 177, take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-475 [SR-408] (I-475 / Valdosta) 15.6 0:16
5: Take Ramp onto I-75 [SR-401] (I-75 / GA-401) 301 5:04
6: Reconstruction between Valdosta and Cecil (SB) (January 12, 2004 - September 30, 2004) < 0.1 < 1min
Entering Florida
7: At exit 328, turn RIGHT onto Ramp (Florida's Turnpike South / Orlando) 0.7 0:01
8: *Toll road* Road name changes to Florida's Tpke 18.5 0:19
9: At exit 289, keep RIGHT onto Ramp (US-27) 0.6 0:01
10: Merge onto US-27 [SR-25] 27.4 0:33
11: Keep RIGHT onto Ramp (US-192 / Disney World) 0.3 < 1min
12: Road name changes to US-192 [SR-530] 6.8 0:08
13: Bear RIGHT (East) onto Ramp, then immediately turn RIGHT (North) onto (N) World Dr (World Dr North / Disney World) 4.6 0:06
14: Keep RIGHT to stay on N World Dr (Magic Kingdom Parking) 0.1 0:01
15: Keep RIGHT to stay on N World Dr < 0.1 < 1min
End: Arrive End < 0.1 < 1min
Total Route 445 mi 7 hrs 40 mins

Have fun!

Hi Larry -

We're in Cobb...and always take I-75. I guess if we were going through the city during rush hour, I'd take some back roads and hook up with 75 south of town...but that's never happened.

Good luck on your trip!

Originally posted by goofylarry46
We are leaving for WDW next week. We live in Lawrenceville and are driving down. We would like to know if there is a faster way to go than straight down I-85 to I-75. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Hands down there is a faster route. I live in Suwanee and just made the trip this week. If you live in/near Gwinnett, take I-85 South to I-285 East/South to I-675 South to I-75 South. This avoids downtown Atlanta and puts you on I-75 near Jonsboro. I agree with everyone else, take I-475 bypass in Macon.

Hi, everybody! I am goofylarry46’s wife. Thanks for the suggestions. Since we posted this question, he has seriously considered leaving directly from my office (I work overnight shift in an office in Midtown) - that means we would leave at 5:30 a.m.!! But then we would be there by midday and could get in a visit to one of the parks that afternoon. And to think when my Disney obsession started, he wasn’t at all interested - I have created a monster!!! (But a good one, kind of like Sully in Monsters, Inc.) Anyway, we may be leaving from the middle of Atlanta instead of from Lawrenceville if he has his way. But I am going to save these directions and we will use them on the next trip when we leave from home!

Thanks again!

Susan :wave:

Leaving at 5:30 a.m. is probably not a bad idea, particularly if you're able to get some sleep in the car.

We live in East Cobb and usually try to leave for Orlando or HH around 6 a.m. so that we can drive through the city on the connector instead of taking the Perimeter all the way around. It does save time! But if we're not out the door by 6, we might as well wait till after 9 a.m..... :(

Good idea. We once were able to get our bottoms in the car and get thru Atlanta as traffic was just starting. We made it to Orlando right after lunch!

Just found this thread and wanted to say how excited I am to see so many Gwinnett neighbors that are also Disney neighbors!

We beat the 6 am departure time story....worked the Peachtree Road Race on July 4th several years ago, went home, cleaned up, packed and went to bed early. Got up and left at 2 am and hit the parks as soon as we arrived!

We were MUCH younger then!

We beat the 6 am departure time story....worked the Peachtree Road Race on July 4th several years ago, went home, cleaned up, packed and went to bed early. Got up and left at 2 am and hit the parks as soon as we arrived!

OH MY!!! :eek:

I have to say, it is alot nicer getting out the door that early. Last trip, we left the house at 3:30am and would've been at WDW by 11:30 ish (we did hit some rain), except for the fact that there was a horrible accident on the Turnpike south and both directions were closed for at least 1 hour.

That being said, we're still leaving at about 3:30 am for this trip in Dec.

Pam:D

The only problem with leaving really early like that is my family at least ends up being grouches all day, especially hubby who would be driving and not sleeping! :p

He is insisting on leaving before day break for our spring break trip, though.

I'd need a nap at the villa, if we left that early! ::yes::

We always think we'll be up and out the door by 7...I try to pack the van the night before and get things organized. It always ends up closer to 9 before we get on the road.

I like arriving around 4...it's relaxing. Unpack...go to dinner...hit DTD for some shopping...and get rested up for EE at a park the next morning.

Funny how you can get up early easy to go to Disney but if it was deciding how early to get up to go to work you'ld be trying to decide in 5 minute increments of what time to set your clock:D .

Our main reasoning for leaving that early(besides traffic) is DH is normally up every day for work between 2-4am. He doesn't sleep well past 4am so it works for us. We also have friends in Oviedo that we visit with the first day so by leaving Atlanta that early, we get to spend the better part of the day with them. I'm flexible, but I will say that we crash hard that first night.

Pam:D

Hey Y'all!
I never realized that we have so many DVC'rs in the Atlanta area! I too, live in East Cobb (East Hampton)., and we do the 75-South route to 475, to the turnpike. I am usually so excited to be going, that after we pack up the car, and everyone goes to bed, I vacuum the house, get everything cleaned up, and then wake the family to put them in the car. I then proceed to drive the entire way (almost). After that, a whole day in the parks, dinner, and BED. Boy, does it feel good to crash that first night! I'm worse than my kids (teens). They think I'm NUTS!
Be safe, and have a great trip!

We live about an hour and a half northeast of Atlanta we always leave no later than 5 am otherwise we wait until later in the morning- Atlanta traffic is not how I like to start my vacation. This Dec we aren't leaving until lunch where the kids can get counted present one more day.

Great to see so many Atlanta DVC'ers. We should have a DVC meet some time. We did end up leaving early in the morning - and had a great time! I am posting a trip report on the appropriate board and also a DVC resort report here, for those of you who like reading that kind of thing. Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

I live in alpharetta!! We should have a mini meet!! My next trip is May 28-June 6th!! I take 400 south/75/85connector and 75 south, bypass 475 around macon, turnpike I-4 to parks.

Some one mentioned that they get off at FL 50 does this take you right into 535? Is there any turns?? Is it shorter? Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter