TIW math

MomofDisneyLoversx3

DIS Veteran
I see many people taking about the breakeven number for TIW and saying they figured out what there savings would be. Forgive my stupidity, but is there a formula or website for this? Sorry, havent had my :coffee:. I just (at 3 am:laughing:) decided to upgrade one ticket to an AP to save the cost of parking, MM and whatever merchandise we buy. Any help would be great

The cost of TiW with an AP discount is $150.

The savings is 20% at included restaurants.

To make back the $150 cost, you need to have spent $750 on food and drink (pre tax & tip). 750 x .2 = 150

So a meal at CM plus cake, a meal at GFC, and a meal at Akershus will clear the savings. Thank you!! just cant do basic math this am

If you want to be technical, you would need to subtract out the AP discounts you could get without TIW. So, for Akershus (for example), TIW will get you 20% off of food and alchohol. With just an AP and no TIW, you could get 10% off at Akershus, but only the food (no discount on alcohol). If every restaurant you plan to go to was like that (10% of with just AP, 20% off with TIW), you'd need to spend $1500 on food to make up the price of TIW. If you plan to drink, that helps too.

Also, it depends on WHEN you are going. If you go before 9/30/17, some TS restaurants get 20% off with AP, Grand Floridian Cafe being one of them. So you get no "Extra" benefit from having TIW, unless you purchase alcohol. They are saying the 20% off is only valid until 9/30/17, after that it may stay 20%, go back to 10%, or go away altogether...I'm not sure.

TiW savings are tougher than that one formula, unfortunately.

Since AP discounts usually apply and gratuity varies greatly.

There are an enormous amount of posts around this, but the consensus is this - if you drink alcohol, your break even point is easier achieved. If you take advantage of the valet parking, your break even point is easier achieved.

On food and non-alcoholic drinks alone, it's only a 2% savings, per meal, assuming you'd tip at least the 18%.

I probably muddied the waters, but at the end of the day, if you see value, it's worth it!

Brian

Well, we do drink.......now I'm so confused. It was so much easier when it was $75. oh well. Thanks for the food for thought.

TiW savings are tougher than that one formula, unfortunately.

I agree.

On food and non-alcoholic drinks alone, it's only a 2% savings, per meal, assuming you'd tip at least the 18%.

Without TiW the total is $124.50
Meal/drinks $100
Gratuity $18
Tax $6.50

With TiW the total is $103.20
Meal/drinks $100
Gratuity $18
Discount $20
Tax $5.20

Savings $21.30...far more than 2%

TiW isn't the right fit for everyone, especially with the 45th anniversary benefits. OP asked specifically about the math she had seen referenced and how it worked, without any details regarding her trip. I went with the KISS answer.

If you want to be technical, you would need to subtract out the AP discounts you could get without TIW. So, for Akershus (for example), TIW will get you 20% off of food and alchohol. With just an AP and no TIW, you could get 10% off at Akershus, but only the food (no discount on alcohol). If every restaurant you plan to go to was like that (10% of with just AP, 20% off with TIW), you'd need to spend $1500 on food to make up the price of TIW. If you plan to drink, that helps too.

thanks for mentioning this aspect of the decision making-- i think it is so easy to forget to factor in the 10% off you are already getting in many restaurants....tho there are the restaurants that only honor TIW and not AP (like Ohana)..so it really helps to know where you are dining and what discounts are available before deciding to purchase the TIW...and also to remember you can use the TIW for 10 diners and the AP for only 4 diners.
we stopped buying the TIW when it hit the $150.00 amount:(

To help with what discounts are offered for dining, download the Mouseperks app. You just have to remember the color codes while scrolling...not that I would know about that!

Sorry for leaving out the details! Should have know you guys would do more than just point me to a calculator.

Party of 5, 2 actual adults, 2 Disney adults, 1 child. Going 6/21-7/2, spending the first 3 days on the dark side. We have TS meals at CM, GFC, Akershus, Yak&Yeti (may cancel for Tiffen), Jiko's, & HBD. We like to drink and snack through out the parks. We will definetly get a bottle of wine with each meal, and sometimes pre/post meal drinks. Also, my Disney adults are adventurous and expensive eaters (my now 11 famously ordered bison at Jiko's when she was 7) We are also getting 2 custom birthday cakes....the TIW will discount those but not sure if the AP discount will. The 45 special is muddying the waters for me as 3 of the restaurants will get a 20% either way.

Oops, replied to soon. Factoring the 'average' price of a dinner at the restaurants we are eating at, adding the set prices, and subtracting out both the AP & TIW discounts look like TIW will save ~$60 before I factor in alcohol. So now I have to do the math as to whether we will drink $100 of alcohol at places other than around the world.

So, a low-ball $45 per bottle of wine x 4 = 180
Other adult beverages 2x day at least $10 each = 120
This conservative estimate on alcohol gets you to $300.

Some CS and park lounges only offer TiW discounts. If you plan on visiting them, they will add to the savings.
AK-
Nomad lounge
Pizzafari
Restaurantosaurus

DHS-
HBD lounge
Tune-in lounge

The All-Stars, Pop, AOA, POFQ food courts, and the resort lounges are TiW only.

We are a family of five and will likely spend at least $1800 on food and drink during our trip. We'd be able to come out ahead after buying TiW because we're planning to visit several places that only offer that discount. Though I don't think it will be a huge savings over what we would have with the AP, $100 would be enough for me.

Sorry for leaving out the details! Should have know you guys would do more than just point me to a calculator.

Party of 5, 2 actual adults, 2 Disney adults, 1 child. Going 6/21-7/2, spending the first 3 days on the dark side.

Remember AP dining discount only applies to 4 people - TiW to 10 people. I am not familiar with the AP discount (first time holder) enough to tell you which 4 it would select, hopefully the high road is taken and the 4 most expensive on the bill are discounted.

That only works if you won't be tipping if not forced to.

Not to mention all the counter service places that are included. Food courts at all values, the what-I-call-a-food-court at ssr, sassagoula, and qs at AK park. No tips there.

tho there are the restaurants that only honor TIW and not AP (like Ohana)..so it really helps to know where you are dining and what discounts are available before deciding to purchase the TIW

Yep!

To help with what discounts are offered for dining, download the Mouseperks app. You just have to remember the color codes while scrolling...not that I would know about that!

I can't find that one on the apple App store.

ETA: found it by googling. Not for apple. But they have a mobile site. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!