Tired of Jungle Cruise "schtick"

underminer

Mouseketeer
So we are happily preparing for another trip to the parks next month and as we discuss our itinerary and favorite attractions, the jungle cruise is something of an enigma. I love the history, concept and theming of this ride but I've grown tired of the skippers jokes. I have fond memories as a kid of the immersive excitement of this ride with the skipper adding to the whole experience. Now when you ride, it's all a big joke. It was amusing at first but hearing a lot of the same jokes over and over again gets old. Can you imagine if Pirates had a tour guide that made fun of every animatronic and scene? It would ruin the immersiveness of the experience! I would love to see them plus up the ride, add some new surprises and return it to classic attraction status like pirates and HM. Maybe i am in the minority here but I would love to see Jungle Cruise become a true adventure again! What are your thoughts?

I love the Jungle Cruise but I agree its not on my must do list since I feel i have heard it all. Last time we rode we were so excited because we heard a new joke so we rode again and heard the same new joke... Its like they must have just got it added to their spiel... I wish they would give the skippers a little more freedom so each ride could be a little different!

When I went on the ride in March, the skipper tried a whole bunch of new jokes...and IMHO they all fell flat. I like the corniness of the ride...it still makes me giggle :rotfl:

Maybe b/c I only go to Dland once a year, I have found that my rides on the Jungle Cruise are a nice mix of old (classic) jokes and new ones. It is still a v fun ride for me and my family. I look forward to the classic backside-of-water jokes (it is like looking forward to hearing the pirates yelp "We wants the redhead!" - happens every time but you'd miss it if it went away), and I am delighted by the new material that has crept in since my last visit.

For me, the schtick is the whole point of the ride! Yes, it's incredibly corny, and even groan-worthy...but it wouldn't be the Jungle Cruise without it!

I do like it when the skippers mix it up a little, (so it doesn't seem like the same exact thing every time you ride), but I would be really disappointed if I didn't get to hear some of the old faithfuls (Dr. Albert Falls, backside of water) on my cruise.

I love all the old stuff. I think that the CM delivery makes all the difference to me. You can tell some of the CM have a lot more fun with the material than others. So I'm good with the old jokes done with great timing and enthusiasm. The kidding around with guests adds to the fun as well.

I'm with you. I wish the skippers were still allowed to ad lib with some of their own shtick like they used to do. I can't remember when Disney decided the skippers had to go strictly by the script, but after that the jokes went flat for me on most rides. There is still the occasional skipper who manages to infuse enough of his/her personality to make it funny, but most of the time I find it hard to muster up a chuckle though I feel obliged to do so for the sake of the poor skipper who has to say it.

For me, the schtick is the whole point of the ride! Yes, it's incredibly corny, and even groan-worthy...but it wouldn't be the Jungle Cruise without it!

Agreed! I love the corniness! But the CM really does make a difference -their delivery is everything.

I'm an AP holder so we go to DLR all the time, and we do frequently go on Jungle Cruise. I just love it even though I've heard the jokes a million times. It's just - there's something about it that makes it special. :)

This is actually my favorite attraction. I believe that the skippers are still allowed to do some of their own material, mixed in with the required lines. I agree that most of the jokes from most of the skippers are too corny and fall flat. However, every once in a while, you get a really clever skipper and it is a great experience. I have also heard that if you go on one of the last boats of the night, especially if there are no children on board, the skippers will be a little more original with their material.

So we are happily preparing for another trip to the parks next month and as we discuss our itinerary and favorite attractions, the jungle cruise is something of an enigma. I love the history, concept and theming of this ride but I've grown tired of the skippers jokes. I have fond memories as a kid of the immersive excitement of this ride with the skipper adding to the whole experience. Now when you ride, it's all a big joke. It was amusing at first but hearing a lot of the same jokes over and over again gets old. Can you imagine if Pirates had a tour guide that made fun of every animatronic and scene? It would ruin the immersiveness of the experience! I would love to see them plus up the ride, add some new surprises and return it to classic attraction status like pirates and HM. Maybe i am in the minority here but I would love to see Jungle Cruise become a true adventure again! What are your thoughts?
So do not ride it! It is what it is, you know that going in........ it's for sure better, if the Skipper is into his character, skip it if you are not "feeling the corniness".... it's a original ride that Walt worked on.....

Thanks!
Lori

I love the jokes! The cornier the better! It does kind of depend on the skipper, luckily we have gotten some good skippers.

I agree, so I just don't go on it! I love the ride and this history of the ride, but the jokes have become boring to me and almost secondhand embarrassment. I go on it every once in a while but it is not my favorite.

It all depends on your skipper. If he/she is really into the character, then no matter how corny or bad the jokes are, they will be entertaining. I dont understand those who are embarrassed by the corniness of the jokes since you know they are going to say them anyway.

And as many times as I have ridden JC, our last trip was the first time we rode it at night! It certainly adds something to the attraction! The skipper added a few things that she could only use when the sun goes down. So I suggest that you try that.

The jokes are bad!!!!

We are APs and ride it frequently, to the point where I have their script memorized...

I wish I could skip it as suggested by PP, but DD just love the ride.

I love the nostalgia of the ride, but have been going on trips to DL since I was 5. DH however did not grow up with the Jungle Cruise and commented, "Gee, this ride would be great if those guys wouldn't talk so much". I guess I had kinda been thinking the same, but when he said that, I was more aware of it. However, I can't imagine it being any other way!

Midnightred

I love the jokes! The cornier the better! It does kind of depend on the skipper, luckily we have gotten some good skippers.

Yes, you need a "good" skipper, who is into it. Last time I rode, the CM was phoning it in. Dull. And sorry to say, I have yet to have a female skipper that I liked.

When we rode it at night several months ago, it was different, the Skipper had different jokes based upon the darkness here and there, even **** off all the lights at least once, ran in almost total darkness. I laughed that whole ride. :rotfl: (It was at WDW maybe, can't remember)

We had the most amazing skipper on our trip in July. We had ridden the day before, and then rode during the discover the magic tour the next day. Our tour guides said we lucked out and got the best one. I can't remember for sure, but his name may have been Chris. He told a few of the regular jokes, but everything else was his own material. Every animal we passed he'd say "did you know, a hippo (or whichever animal) can run up to 30 miles per hour and jump over 10 feet?" By the third time he said this, I couldn't stop laughing. And it was my DD's birthday, so he sang her "This is your birthday song, it isn't very long." And that was it!

The birthday song was the joke that had me cracking up... It is our new family joke and have you heard the second verse?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter