Tipsy is as Tipsy Does - A February '17 Dining Adventure - Complete 8/15

Still loving your reviews! We enjoyed Tiffin's with a ROL package last week. Sooner or later Mikka will get last year's F&W review done and move on to this year's F&G review.
Glad you all enjoyed Tiffins too. You better tell Mikka to get on it :-)

Hi there!

Confession time - I am a dining review lurker. I read one review thread and didn't totally understand why people did the roll call to say who was reading. Then I read through another, and another, and another, and now I feel a bit on the creepy side. I get why people do the roll call - it is because you actually learn a lot about the people doing the dining reviews.

So, I am here, and will be reading along and also making sure to let you all know when I am reading the other reports. These reviews are awesome and has offered a great exposure to me of what a great community the DIS really is.

Best,

Brandy
Hi there right back!!!! Welcome to confession :-) Glad to see you come out of the shadows. We've all had to do it at one time or another. And I didn't get it at first either, but we've definitely built ourselves a little dining and drinking community here. Emphasis on the drinking for yours truly :drinking1

BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were up and at 'em the next morning for a day in the Magic Kingdom. Unfortunately so was just about everyone else at Animal Kingdom Lodge, but thankfully they kept an orderly line we just had to wait for the 2nd bus before we got on. We didn't know that they did post super bowl stuff the day right after (aka today) so MK was definitely the most crowded park of the trip. Yet somehow in the insanity on the way in Casey spotted a boy from her kindergarten class. It really is a small world after all.

We started the day cruising with Jack Sparrow, and riding a thunderous mountain, before we became human tea

Got attacked by aliens in space

and then rode yet another mountain this time of the mining variety.

My brother clearly got the wrong theme park memo this morning.

After all that mountaining we were hangry and headed over to Skippers Canteen for lunch where the most amazing thing happened.

Wait for it

Wait for it

BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN THE MAGIC KINGDOM!!!!!!!!! THERE WAS BEER IN THE MAGIC KINGDOM!!!!

To say Jason , Matthew and I were like adult kids in the candy store of beer life is an understatement. Now clearly the pickings are slim and the can leaves a lot to be desired. BUT BEER!!!!!!

The rest of the meal could have been a bust and I would have been happy, but thankfully it wasn't. Casey for some reason didn't want beer and elected to have her favorite Smushberry drink (aka Schweitzer Slush).

This is frozen apple and passion fruit juices topped with boba balls. Its way too sweet for me but its heaven for a 6 year old.

We of course started with their bread and honey dip, which is always a hit with us

And I'd also heard good things about the Gingers Grog of Hot and Sour Soup
so I elected to try that sans the mushrooms.

While I usually stay clear of Ginger since she snaps, in this case she was kind enough to just add some heat and flavor in what was a pretty darn good hot and sour soup.

For entrees, Matthew got the Curried Vegetable Stew and added chicken to it.

I don't recollect what veggies were in here, but this had great curry flavor and was a huge portion. Matthew was quite happy with his selection and even more so the $17 price tag which I'm pretty sure isn't much more than a far inferior burger elsewhere in the park.

My gang elected to share a bunch of appetizers as we've found that is where the menu sweet spot is. First up we have the Baladi Salad which is described as a Classic Egyptian salad - mix of romaine lettuce, red peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, coriander-mint vinaigrette and ambasha bread croutons

This was a Jason request as he wanted some vegetables and that was exactly what we got. I'm not sure what made this Egyptian as the everything here was classic middle america to me. Maybe they confused it with Egypt, Missouri???? Who knows, but at least we got some semblance of vegetables for the day, despite it being lackluster.

Next up we had the Orinoco Ida's Cachapas made with
House-Made Corn Pancakes, Mojo-Braised Pork Black Bean Salad, and Avocado Cream

I have no idea what Orinoco, Ida, or Cachapas are but I'm gonna go with its code for bring the old arepas back. We loved their old beef version of this in arepa form and were excited to try this, but they fell a little flat. The pork was pretty dry and the corn pancakes didn't punch much flavor. They also couldn't hold up to all the toppings so it was hard to pick up. We did enjoy the avocado cream though.

And in the old but goodies category we got the S.E.A Shumai and Falls Family Falafel.

I believe this was our third time having these two little beauties and again they didn't disappoint. The shumai is delicate and full of flavor and the falafel are some of the best I've ever had. Crispy, airy, and pure goodness. Now this is what Egyptian should be.

As we were finishing up our server was kind enough to bring Casey a birthday chocolate lava cake, which was a really nice touch.

I'd love to tell you how this was, but it was her birthday cake and the kid was not sharing!

Despite a couple of app misses, we really enjoy Skippers Canteen. I appreciate them pushing the food envelope more than the rest of the MK options. And in case you didn't heard they now have BEER!!!! I still insist its prime for some tipsy drinks, but baby steps. With our tables in wonderland card we saved $22.70.

After
lunch we toured the deep south with a splash in the river

Sorry for the weird picture size, crappy photo bucket won't let me edit any photopass pics

And a visit to the countriest bears around

Where someones lunch time indulgences elicited this reaction.

We then had a run on 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and even 8th fast passes with visits to 999 ghosts, a flight on some carpets, a trip to the 100 acre woods, a boat trip to with some really creepy singing children, another boat trip with a creepy octopus, and finally another run through a different kind of space but those dang aliens found me again.

Before we headed out Casey insisted on a photo shoot with her latest acquisition which I'm pretty sure has barely been touched since we returned.

Up next, I'll give you something to naan about

Last edited:
Wait for it

Wait for it

BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I share your excitement for this! :thumbsup2
No problem with a little adult pop in MK. None whatsoever. Wonderful to know it is not just hidden away in BOG.

Skippers is a real gem. I haven't tried the appetizers but will make a point to try next time.

Whassup with Jason in the Splash photo? :magnify: Kind of hoping he is just trying to umm dry his shirt out a bit? Maybe better to pretend that I did not see that. Yeah. I'm going to go with that. :joker:

Yet somehow in the insanity on the way in Casey spotted a boy from her kindergarten class.
No way?!

We then had a run on 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and even 8th fast passes with visits to 999 ghosts, a flight on some carpets, a trip to the 100 acre woods, a boat trip to with some really creepy singing children, another boat trip with a creepy octopus, and finally another run through a different kind of space but those dang aliens found me again.
This is just word-smithing perfection. :thumbsup2

You and I will stay firmly in the no butter in our coffee club together!
;;l

I thought the same thing - to be honest, I'm a "light and sweet" coffee drinker for the most part, but a friend of mine ordered the Mustang Coffee at our Tiffins dinner, and I tried it - it was incredible!

I knew you would love that you could now get beer/wine at the Magic Kingdom! Glad it helped you enjoy your wonderful meal :) I keep sticking to my noodle soup there - one of these days I'll branch out and try the other options. The items you got looked so good!

I said it once, and I will say it again, we would get along beautifully! Beer in the MK, no way!!! That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. LOL!!!

Great review of Skippers. I made an ADR for coming Aug trip since we haven't been there yet. I might try a couple of apps for my meal as well.

Can you please use your Splash ride photo as your Xmas card pic this year and DO send me one?? Jason would fit in perfectly with Steve and his brothers :rotfl2:Or maybe frame it for your desk? Unless then the gov't would start watching you more closely and given your job you really don't want that.......

Hmm, so you're of the opinion that the former arepas, which I loved, were superior to their current (sorta!) version :scratchin I was wondering about that and also why they changed it up. Glad you enjoyed the rest of your meal! Still trying to figure out why Casey wasn't in the mood for beer??

Oh wait! What kind of Super Bowl stuff did they do?

Yet somehow in the insanity on the way in Casey spotted a boy from her kindergarten class. It really is a small world after all.
It's funny how that can happen. I think we've stumbled on people from home on every trip.

We started the day cruising with Jack Sparrow, and riding a thunderous mountain, before we became human tea
Hmmm...Mad Hatter Puke Cups. Nope, I can't deal with those. No spinning for me.

I know some people are losing their minds over alcohol in MK. I don't have a problem with it, at least in the restaurants. It fits there. Now, I don't really want to see frat boys boozing it up around the Partners statue. But the changes so far are fine by me.

Casey for some reason didn't want beer and elected to have her favorite Smushberry drink (aka Schweitzer Slush).
Well, probably a good idea not to start too early! I don't get those boba balls. My daughter likes them too, gets them on top of frozen yogurt.

And in the old but goodies category we got the S.E.A Shumai and Falls Family Falafel.
These both look good, as usual. I would be happy eating these. The problem is the rest of my clan. Sadly, they would be happier with the far inferior burger elsewhere in the park.

We then had a run on 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and even 8th fast passes
Cool, good use of them. I think the best I ever got was a 5th.

Before we headed out Casey insisted on a photo shoot with her latest acquisition which I'm pretty sure has barely been touched since we returned.
Oh yes, I am familiar with this situation. DD was obsessed with stuffed toys on our last trip. We put a limit at 4, ended up coming back with 7 (it's hard saying no to tears in the gift shop). Many of them just sit in bins in the closet. She will be 10 this summer and seems to be slowly getting out of the stuffed toys. She does still sleep with a few at night though.

Side note some of you may recall my best friend passed away rather unexpectedly last year. The anniversary of her death was 2 days before our trip so I was on edge already, but her name was Jen and I got a tattoo in her honor so 1. I couldn't not get this drink but 2. The sight of its name alone produced more than a few tears on my menu. :sad:

I am so sorry to hear that. I'm glad the drink did not disappoint!

Got attacked by aliens in space

This is so great!

We then had a run on 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and even 8th fast passes

Wow!!

To say Jason , Matthew and I were like adult kids in the candy store of beer life is an understatement. Now clearly the pickings are slim and the can leaves a lot to be desired. BUT BEER!!!!!!

The rest of the meal could have been a bust and I would have been happy, but thankfully it wasn't. Casey for some reason didn't want beer and elected to have her favorite Smushberry drink (aka Schweitzer Slush).

I totally read this as BUTT BEER!!!! YEAH BUTT BEER!!!:rotfl:And ya know what sometimes you'll never know why children do what they do, like NOT wanting a beer at MK with Mom and Dad, I tell ya, kids these days!! :confused3:lmao: Although beer-less, her face here is adorably priceless:flower1:

After lunch we toured the deep south with a splash in the river

Sorry for the weird picture size, crappy photo bucket won't let me edit any photopass pics

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:LOLOL Oye, again, I'm crying laughing as you apologized for "the weird picture size" (which I didn't even notice) cuz I was too busy looking at your husband grabbing his pectoralis major, LOVE your family ride photo!!! Print, Frame, Hang!! Thank you again for a most enjoyable report :flower3:

Ride photos are my favorite! I was going to get MM just because they are included but decided on an AP for multiple discounts, instead. I miss the old Attractions+ that was such a good deal.

JASON! That's not very Disney! :scared1::rotfl2:

I can't wait to try Tiffins! Have an ADR for our trip in September. I was thinking of getting the Sword fish. I think your review sealed the deal. We were in WDW same time as you in Feb. I agree about being a bit underwhelmed with the food options at Festival of the Arts. I appreciate the larger portions and the creative plating, but probably would have liked more options. -Amanda :cutie:

Once you add the Tables in Wonderland discount to a $17 entree you get a really good deal. ::yes::

I hate when this happens. Unfortunately you never know ahead of time which ones they love and which ones they cast aside once the trip is over.

My brother clearly got the wrong theme park memo this morning.

This would be my husband if I didn't put a stop to it. He has Marvel shirts, so if he has to go superhero, it has to be Marvel.

Aww...it's a fluffy Piglet! I look forward to a life of "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE IT" only to never touch it again...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter