tips for pre trip anxiety

what are your tips for pre trip anxiety? especially in our post covid world we may have new or different fears before leaving then we ever had encountered before.
[/QUOTE
I'm sorry, I don't understand the laughing reply. I didn't make the post intentionally to be funny. I was wondering if anyone has pre-trip anxiety before a vacation and what they do to cope.

Yes I didn't understand why that person laughed either and had hoped it was accidentally clicked. I support your question completely and hope to see more responses to it as I think it's a great question. I notice I can't sleep the night before a trip. This has been for years and it's something I've never completely resolved.

If you haven’t been around lots of crowds since Covid, pre-trip is the time to get used to them again. Go to a mall, concert, or something with lots of people so you have an idea of how you might react.

If you are worried about anxiety, tell folks you are traveling with. You might need to take a break or skip out on something if you are too stressed. Having that “out” as an option may help if you feel overwhelmed.

Making a packing list even months in advance for absolutely everything you want to bring might also help. That way you can add things as you think of them and know if there is something you need to pick up from the store before you go.

I’ve been watching recent park walkthroughs on YouTube. I find them very relaxing, and it not only gets me excited about our trip but also gives me an idea of what to expect for attendance levels. I look at what the crowd levels were for that day to get a sense of what a “7” or a “10” looks like from a walking around perspective.

Mainly, be flexible and kind to yourself. If you need to make adjustments to how you usually approach a trip, that’s okay! Hope you have a wonderful time 😊

what are your tips for pre trip anxiety? especially in our post covid world we may have new or different fears before leaving then we ever had encountered before.

This are some of the things that our family does/has done: (we've been to WDW twice during the pandemic)

Airport/Airplane Travel Concerns:
  • When the serve drinks & snacks on the flight, don't eat/drink right away. Wait for everybody else around you to finish and THEN you eat/drink. Why? Because then everybody else will have put their masks back on.
  • You could double up on masks or wear an N95/KN95 mask.
  • Plan out in advance what time you need to leave home in order to get to your home airport. Allow some extra time to get through security & what not so you're not extra stressed out.
  • When flying back home from Orlando, go ahead and leave your WDW resort 3 hr before plane takes off even if you're not using Mears Connect to get to the airport. Having the extra time at the airport means you won't stress out about missing your plane.
Before you leave home:
  • if concerned about getting sick, take your Vitamin C and D. And bring it on the trip.
  • make a packing list and double check it ahead of time.
  • don't forget to pack prescription meds in your carry on luggage.
  • if concerned about getting sick before the trip, just wear a mask everywhere like you did during the height of the pandemic. Doesn't matter if people look at you weird.
While at WDW:
  • There's no more masking required indoors or outdoors except when you're on transportation indoors. But you can still wear a mask 100% of the time if you want and nobody's going to care.
  • You could choose to only eat outside.
  • Hand sanitize after you get off of every ride vehicle.
  • Bring some packable Clorox wipes w/you in your luggage and use them to wipe down surfaces in the hotel room after you first arrive. Yes, even though they do a very thorough cleaning between guests...if this will help you feel more at ease, then just do it and don't give a hoot about what other people think.
  • You could also choose to eat at "off" times...like early for lunch (11 am). Or early or late for dinner.
  • You could choose to avoid the pools because it's basically like taking a bath with everyone else who is in the pool with you.
  • There's no more social distancing in lines at all at WDW now. But you could definitely leave space between your party and the group in front of you in order to help you feel more at ease.

My anxiety isn’t Covid—— it’s my husband’s driving! Seriously! He’s a good driver too! The Highway gives me anxiety, though. I am planning to deal by using distraction. My sons GF is a Disney Newbie and I plan on talking her ear off on strategy/food/Disney pre-knowledge all the way to the Autotrain!!
If I had anxiety flying (which I would, though, because I always have anxiety flying, not a Covid thing) I tend to drink!

Yes I didn't understand why that person laughed either and had hoped it was accidentally clicked. I support your question completely and hope to see more responses to it as I think it's a great question. I notice I can't sleep the night before a trip. This has been for years and it's something I've never completely resolved.
thank you.

Lists,lists,lists and watching lots and lots of vlogs.

I like watching people do the things I wanna do and it makes it easier for my anxiety to see it happen. Also I plan our trips loosely and write down ideas all the time. Organizing all the info helps my anxiety alot.

Anxiety is nothing more than our need to be in control or our lack of being in control of others! 90%+ of what we worry about never happens except in our heads! Haha
I own my own business and although most people wouldn't peg me as a control freak, as I lean more on the side of a giver rather than a taker. I do have anxiety, where I contemplate everything that could either be better or could go wrong.
I learned my lesson on my very first WDW trip with my wife. We were at the resort, she was getting ready and being a guy I showered and shaved threw on my clothes in 2 minutes and threw on a cap. I'm ready! LOL She, on the other hand was doing her makeup, her hair and was getting dolled up for the day. However, we had a Fastpass to get to and I started looking at the clock and doing the math in my head. The anxiety started to set in. She knows me well enough to read my body language. She finally looked at me and said, if you are going to be like this on vacation, you might as well have stayed home and worked! I thought about it for a minute and said, you know she's right. Missing a FP won't be the end of the world. I can always adjust the FP's to a different time. I learned a valuable lesson that day... Hey, I'm at WDW relax and enjoy, adapt and overcome! Enjoy the moment and who you are with rather than what you are doing and what you are getting done!
We have been to WDW many times since and I've adjusted FP's and ADR's and we switched entire park days the night before and we still managed to have a great time, because I learned to "Let it go!" and be in "My Happy Place!".

Last edited:
Be open and honest with your travel party about what you will and won't do, as well as where you can comfortably be flexible. I'm not comfortable with close indoor dining, so when the family had a reservation that made me anxious, I up and left, with no questions asked. I did not ask the same of them, and I let them know that a vacation for me was not about me challenging my covid fears. There's a time and place. A lot of my anxiety is based on the idea that I won't have a say, or a choice in the matter. Confirming that I will be heard helped.

If it's covid related, it helped me to do research on places that had indoor and outdoor dining, and to understand seating, etc. I also did research on what would happen were we to get sick. That took a lot off my mind.

Otherwise, just find something positive to get excited about. I like reading menus, and looking at ride times to make a schedule. It helped me use that nervous energy for something good. I also looked at airport maps as well, to get a sense of where I would need to go.

I wear my mask at WDW when I feel uncomfortable. I get tested every week at my work, so I know I'm negative, but there are people who may be positive around me, and I can't take a risk, as I work with a vulnerable population (young children). Also, of course, I don't want to get sick! Any kind of sick-- if masking can help avoid 'just' a cold, it's worth it for me.

For non-covid anxiety, I like to watch youtube channels like DFB, Molly from AllEars, and Paging Mr Morrow. Their joy is infectious and it makes me forget some of my worries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter