Tips for Fort Wilderness Cabins?

Emily Wilson

Earning My Ears
We just decided this morning that we will be staying in the cabins at Fort Wilderness over spring break (March) of 2018! Does anyone have any tips to share about the resort? This will be our first time there, and all travelers will be 15+ so we won't be using the playground, pony rides...etc. Should we rent a golf cart? Anything extra we should bring? Should I be extra worried about bugs? Thanks!

No advice, but we are staying here in Sept 2017 for the first time. We rented a golf cart (they take reservations 365 days in advance, so I would call now and get a reservation and then decide later if you want to cancel), and are on a waitlist for the 6 person cart. We figure with 5 kids from 1-7 it will make life easier (only getting one cart, considering calling to see if we can get a second. But if we can't the other family who is vacationing with us will have to walk ;P ).
In the past we have visited the resort to do the wagon ride and HDDR. I love the atmosphere here, so I'm excited to stay for a couple days before we move to our DVC room. We are just packing nonperishable food in our luggage for this portion of the trip, and will shop at the fort store for anything else we need. Once we transfer we will have Garden Grover deliver the rest of the groceries.
They have trail rides, which I would love to do, but all of my kids are too young. Also the bike rentals - but again I don't know if that is something worth doing with my crew. I have fond memories of when I was about 8 riding bikes around the Fort with my family. Can't wait til my kids are older so we can all do it.

We stayed in a cabin in December 2016 for the first time and loved it. We rebooked for April 2018. The only "tips" I have are to rent a golf cart. It makes life so much easier to get around. Also we loved taking the ferry over to MK, it was definitely the easiest way to get there.

My " tip" is to head to the Camping forum here on the DIS. Lots of really friendly folks with great tips.

--absolutely rent a golf cart. But do it early. You have a slim-to-none chance of getting one on arrival.

--there were no convenient power outlets in our cabin's bedroom for phone charging if you like to keep your phone near your bed at night. Also, there were no USB charging points. If you have a lot of electronics you want to charge overnight, be prepared to leave them in the kitchen/living area.

--You will get a bit spoiled by the quiet and sheer comfort of the cabins as opposed to many other resorts. We love them. Enjoy!

We just decided this morning that we will be staying in the cabins at Fort Wilderness over spring break (March) of 2018! Does anyone have any tips to share about the resort? This will be our first time there, and all travelers will be 15+ so we won't be using the playground, pony rides...etc. Should we rent a golf cart? Anything extra we should bring? Should I be extra worried about bugs? Thanks!

I'm going to go against a PP who said to absolutely rent a golf cart. You are all over the age of 15 so you can easily walk to the bus stops and get those to wherever you need to be. We had eight people between the ages of 5 and 70 and didn't use one at all.

As for bugs, none of us (we had two cabins and one campsite) were bothered by bugs. We all used regular repellant and were fine.

The cabin only has one bathroom so I would highly advise to use the kitchen sink for things like brushing teeth, putting in contacts, etc. If you don't need the door closed and just need a sink, the kitchen one will work just fine.

Housekeeping will be in every day to straighten up and even if you have one glass in the sink, it will be put into the dishwasher. And if you don't run the appliance, it will be run for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter