Tips and tricks for traveling to WDW with a 19 month old?

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by danikoski, Nov 6, 2018.

1. danikoski

danikoski DIS Veteran

Next June, early in the month, we will be traveling with my then 19 month old to WDW. It'll be me, my husband, my then 15 yr old stepson whose on the autism spectrum (so more like a 12 year old maturity wise), my mom, and my cousin whose 21, but also developmentally delayed, so more like 16. I've been to WDW 10+ times...this will be my fourth time in the last six years. It will be the first time for my cousin, stepson, and toddler. My mom and I went in 2017, and my husband and I honeymooned there in 2015.
    However, this will be my first time with kids in tow. We will be staying at a 2 bed villa at BRV at WL, and we do have park hoppers for the flexibility. Trip is 8 days. I'm a little apprehensive about the kids, especially the toddler, so I was wondering what you all have as the best tips and tricks for doing WDW with kids? Thanks in advance!

2. sponica

sponica DIS Veteran

I went with a 20 month old, she outlasted my in laws (seriously).

Things we learned, she needs COMPLETE DARKNESS to sleep. So we crammed her pack n play into the dressing area of the bathroom at POFQ and mostly closed the curtain.
    She absolutely hated Dumbo, but loved climbing on every park bench. She liked fur characters more than face characters.

We did just after RD to about 7 or 8 every day, doing a TS lunch, and she was fine. Reclining the stroller for napping was key. There were some rides we had planned to go on but didn't, but it didn't make or break the trip (and we also got all of our MUST DO experiences done).

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. LSUmiss

LSUmiss DIS Veteran

My DS has to be in complete darkness too to sleep. We are going in a week & he’ll be 6 1/2 mos. Did you have to do this b/c the room was not dark enough with the lights off or b/c y’all didnt want to have to sit in be dark once she went to bed? We will be at Poly & I feel like I recall that the room is dark enough with no lights on. We hope to get a balcony or patio to sit on once he is asleep.

5. danikoski

danikoski DIS Veteran

We weren't 100% sure my son would sleep in the stroller, but we went away this past weekend and low and behold, he did. He'd had a really busy Saturday with his brother and cousins, so Sunday going through our Science Center Museum, he eventually just crashed in the stroller for almost an hour. I'm hoping he'll do something similar next year.
    We are seriously considering renting a crib and putting him in one of the large closets at BRV so he can sleep better.

6. sponica

sponica DIS Veteran

Yeah we didn't want to sit in a dark room with no lights or TV. We tried the pack n play out of the dressing area, but that didn't work, she wouldn't fall asleep. Minute we moved her in the dressing area, blammo, falls asleep immediately.

danikoski likes this.
  7. sponica

sponica DIS Veteran

We also had snacks delivered to the room: goldfish, teddy grahams, applesauce pouches. Ordered take and toss sippy cups, and a huge smock sized bib. We also had diapers and wipes shipped so that we wouldn't have to fly down with them.

Time your meals before your son would normally eat, to prevent him from getting hangry.

I think the hardest part for me was staying on top of the diaper changes...

tinkerjo and danikoski like this.
  8. LSUmiss

LSUmiss DIS Veteran

Ok good to know. Unfortunately, DS had to have surgery a few mos ago & we got used to sitting in the dark in the hospital room so he would sleep. Hoping we get a balcony at Poly b/c the plan is to sit out there. He sleeps 12 hours at night so I ain’t messing with that even if I have to sit in the dark lol!

9. sponica

sponica DIS Veteran

Yeah the next trip we go on we're planning to splurge and go deluxe so we can get a balcony.

10. tinkerjo

tinkerjo Crazy Disney nut

That’s a tough age!! Big enough that they want to walk but too little. I would utilize small play areas like small splash pads or the dinosaur bone yard at AK, take plenty of snacks and juice boxes and pack a good diaper bag with any lovies or favorite small toys. Please use the child swap so everyone in your party gets to ride ( the 15 and 21 year old will like this option as they can ride everything twice) just make time for breaks. My kids had to be back to the room early to decompress but my brother’s kids could go all day and half the night in the stroller so it just depends on your little one. Good luck and have a wonderful trip

danikoski likes this.