Tipping

ALLIPIE

Earning My Ears
We are super excited about our upcoming Disney cruise next week, it is our first cruise and I am trying plan ahead, but I am totally lost on how we are supposed to tip. Are tips automatically taken from the price of the cruise? Do we tip as we go? Are tips charged at the end of the cruise??? Any input would be a great help, Thank you :)

ALLIPIE said:
We are super excited about our upcoming Disney cruise next week, it is our first cruise and I am trying plan ahead, but I am totally lost on how we are supposed to tip. Are tips automatically taken from the price of the cruise? Do we tip as we go? Are tips charged at the end of the cruise??? Any input would be a great help, Thank you :)

Normal tips will be charged to your onboard account. If you don't want to tip any extra, coupons (that tell the recipient "here's your tip amount credited to your account") will be in your stateroom the last day of your cruise. Hand them out and you're all set.

You tip for room service, spa services as you go/use their services.

Your onboard account will be charged $12. per person per day.

ALLIPIE said:

Tips are automatically added to your onboard spending unless you go to guest services to adjust them.
For specialty drinks etc. they add in gratuity to the cost automatically.
The night before last the receipts for tipping your room host, server, assistant server and head server will show up with envelopes in your room. You can put the receipts in the envelopes to hand to the servers at your last dinner, in addition to any extra cash on top of the standard tip if anyone was extraordinarily wonderful.

Expected tips are listed here-
3-Night Cruise (per guest)
$12 Server
$9 Asst. Server
$3 Head Server
$12 Stateroom Host
$36 Total
4-Night Cruise (per guest)
$16
$12
$4
$16
$48
5-Night Cruise (per guest)
$20
$15
$5
$20
$60
6-Night Cruise (per guest)
$24
$18
$6
$24
$72
7-Night Cruise (per guest)
$28
$21
$7
$28
$84
8-Night Cruise (per guest)
$32
$24
$8
$32
$96
10-Night Cruise (per guest)
$40
$30
$10
$40
$120
11-Night Cruise (per guest)
$44
$33
$11
$44
$132
12-Night Cruise (per guest)
$48
$36
$12
$48
$144
14-Night Cruise (per guest)
$56
$42
$14
$56
$168
15-Night Cruise (per guest)
$60
$45
$15
$60
$180

The only other things it is customary to tip for are luggage porters at embarkation/debarkation ($1/bag) exceptional tour guides during shore excursions and room service ($1/plate or per person depending who you ask.)

Two areas of tips not covered above are adult dining (gratuity is included in the upcharge, but many guests add more) and the porters who you may use for luggage assistance. If you use private transportation, you'll drop your bags with the porters prior to entering the terminal (not an issue if you use DCL transportation TO the port). After the cruise, you may choose to enlist the help of a porter in the terminal--they will take the bags thru Customs and to your car, bus, limo, shuttle, etc.) Obviously, at this point, their service is optional and many handle their own bags.

Any bar purchase will include an automatic 50% tip. This includes smoothies, specialty coffee, light up cup clip ons, etc., not just alcohol. There is a line for "additional gratuity" which you are free to add or not as you see fit. Just remember that you've already tipped 15%.

kcashner said:
Two areas of tips not covered above are adult dining (gratuity is included in the upcharge, but many guests add more) and the porters who you may use for luggage assistance. If you use private transportation, you'll drop your bags with the porters prior to entering the terminal (not an issue if you use DCL transportation TO the port). After the cruise, you may choose to enlist the help of a porter in the terminal--they will take the bags thru Customs and to your car, bus, limo, shuttle, etc.) Obviously, at this point, their service is optional and many handle their own bags.

Any bar purchase will include an automatic 50% tip. This includes smoothies, specialty coffee, light up cup clip ons, etc., not just alcohol. There is a line for "additional gratuity" which you are free to add or not as you see fit. Just remember that you've already tipped 15%.

Is the auto gratuity 50% or 15%?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks that made more sense but it is a cruise abd we have never been so....

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

So all alcoholic beverage prices include the tip!! I thought I was going to have to tip on top of the price. That makes the prices that I have seen a lot more reasonable if the tip is included in the price!!

So all alcoholic beverage prices include the tip!! I thought I was going to have to tip on top of the price. That makes the prices that I have seen a lot more reasonable if the tip is included in the price!!

Not included in the published prices but for example if they say 5.95 then you add 15% on top, so when you get the charge slip to sign it has the price plus 15%. An auto gratuity is added.

Trying to figure out tipping as well. I've read on this board (recent posts) that the standard amount charged is $12 per person. Which in our case is the same as the break down below. So for a family of 5 on a 6 night cruise its a minimum of $360.00 for the week?

Tips are automatically added to your onboard spending unless you go to guest services to adjust them.
For specialty drinks etc. they add in gratuity to the cost automatically.
The night before last the receipts for tipping your room host, server, assistant server and head server will show up with envelopes in your room. You can put the receipts in the envelopes to hand to the servers at your last dinner, in addition to any extra cash on top of the standard tip if anyone was extraordinarily wonderful.

Expected tips are listed here-
3-Night Cruise (per guest)
$12 Server
$9 Asst. Server
$3 Head Server
$12 Stateroom Host
$36 Total
4-Night Cruise (per guest)
$16
$12
$4
$16
$48
5-Night Cruise (per guest)
$20
$15
$5
$20
$60
6-Night Cruise (per guest)
$24
$18
$6
$24
$72
7-Night Cruise (per guest)
$28
$21
$7
$28
$84
8-Night Cruise (per guest)
$32
$24
$8
$32
$96
10-Night Cruise (per guest)
$40
$30
$10
$40
$120
11-Night Cruise (per guest)
$44
$33
$11
$44
$132
12-Night Cruise (per guest)
$48
$36
$12
$48
$144
14-Night Cruise (per guest)
$56
$42
$14
$56
$168
15-Night Cruise (per guest)
$60
$45
$15
$60
$180

The only other things it is customary to tip for are luggage porters at embarkation/debarkation ($1/bag) exceptional tour guides during shore excursions and room service ($1/plate or per person depending who you ask.)

Trying to figure out tipping as well. I've read on this board (recent posts) that the standard amount charged is $12 per person. Which in our case is the same as the break down below. So for a family of 5 on a 6 night cruise its a minimum of $360.00 for the week?

yes...but the Disney term is "suggested" rather than minimum.

This is our 2nd cruise ever and the tipping part always gets me. Thanks for the breakdown!

Ok I am a little confused with the tipping is it 48 a day or 48 total if its a day for three people thats an extra 576 sounds kinda steep for tips.

Ok I am a little confused with the tipping is it 48 a day or 48 total if its a day for three people thats an extra 576 sounds kinda steep for tips.

The suggested guideline is $12 per person per day. For three people that's $36 per day... on a 7-day cruise, that's $252.

Ok I am a little confused with the tipping if you add everything up 48 dollars a day adds an extra 576 for 3 people onto my cruise that's almost half of what I paid for the cruise to begin with. :crazy2: What I want to know is does Disney automatically charge you the 48

The tips for 3 people would be $36.00 per day ($12.00 per guest per day). The $12.00 breaks out as: $4.00 per guest per day for your room host; $4.00 per guest per day for your server; $3.00 per guest per day for your asst server; and $1.00 per guest per day for your head server.

I don't know where you're getting $48.00 a day? How long is your cruise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter