The Disney Tipping Info Thread *Updated 9.1.09*

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes you can...i did it last summer...you just have to alert the server when they bring the final bill to charge the tip to the card....it really does work like credit...i dont like carrying cash at all while at WDW...i buy a visa gift card and when i am checking out fo the room i charge it all to the card.

I am a solo diner doing the Deluxe Dining Plan....Is it my understanding that the bill will be given to me at the end of the meal, setting out the price and adding the 18% gratutity to it.....and all I will need is leave the 18% for the tip....

All new to this! Thanks

I am a solo diner doing the Deluxe Dining Plan....Is it my understanding that the bill will be given to me at the end of the meal, setting out the price and adding the 18% gratutity to it.....and all I will need is leave the 18% for the tip....

All new to this! Thanks

Doing only a Dining Plan, you will receive your bill at the end of the meal. At the bottom there will be suggested tip amounts for 18% and 20% gratuity, and you will write in whatever you feel is an appropriate tip.

The only parties who have a mandatory 18% gratuity that is added to the bill are those who are part of a group of 6 or more, and those with the Tables in Wonderland (formerly DDE) discount card.

Hi this October will be our first trip on the DDP :thumbsup2

Were from the UK and tipping isnt as forward as in the US, when you tip on the DDP do you tip a set amount or tip the value of your table service meal?

Just trying to budget right :)

Hi this October will be our first trip on the DDP :thumbsup2

Were from the UK and tipping isnt as forward as in the US, when you tip on the DDP do you tip a set amount or tip the value of your table service meal?

Just trying to budget right :)

The tip is a percentage of your bill. We ate at Narcossees last week using the delux DDP. Our bill was $160 for the 2 of us. We left a $35 tip. As you can see the tips can add up.

The tip is a percentage of your bill. We ate at Narcossees last week using the delux DDP. Our bill was $160 for the 2 of us. We left a $35 tip. As you can see the tips can add up.

Brilliant thanks for your help!:thumbsup2

So this will be our first real vacation and I am woking on the budget. I obviously don't have any experience with this and I don't want to leave anything out. Besides waiters and housekeeping is there anyone else I should be tipping?

Anyone who handles your luggage.

Example: If you use Magical Express and your carry-on luggage is too big to bring into the passenger compartment with you, or if you have strollers/car seats (the latter NOT being necessary or even usable if you are using only Disney transportation), the driver will stow those items under the bus. You would tip her/him when you retrieve your items at your resort. Customary is $1 - $2 per item, but not less than $2 total.

Example: You get to your resort and your room is not ready, so you leave your luggage with Bell Services. Diatribe alert! You tip the Bell Services person who brings your luggage to your room - not the one who removes it from your car, not the one with whom you first leave it. If, again, you've used Magical Express and let them handle your checked luggage, you will not need to be in the room to accept it; Disney takes care of tipping the Cast Members for that deliver; and if you have left any carry-on items with them and gone off to a park, those items will (well, should) be delivered to your room at the same time. If that's your scenario, you can tip when you hand over your luggage.

Example: SkyCaps. If you use Curbside Check-in at the airport, and even if your airline imposes a fee for that service, it is both customary and advisable to tip - minimum $1 per bag, not less than $2, there've been a couple of reports of especially good service when the tip has been $5 or $10 per bag. Conversely, you would NOT tip any agent inside the terminal who provides the same service.

Example: If you use Resort Airline Check-in for your return flight, the agents who check you in are the equivalent of the airport's curbside check-in SkyCaps, so you would tip accordingly.

--
You can OFFER a tip to anyone you feel has gone out of their way to provide outstanding service. Generally, they will refuse (although supposedly if you insist a certain number of times, they will accept). What you can do instead of tipping is to go to Guest Services at the appropriate park, or Management at the hotel/restaurant, and ask to fill out a compliment card. This goes into the Cast Member's file and is beneficial.

Example: If you use Magical Express and your carry-on luggage is too big to bring into the passenger compartment with you, or if you have strollers/car seats (the latter NOT being necessary or even usable if you are using only Disney transportation), the driver will stow those items under the bus. You would tip her/him when you retrieve your items at your resort. Customary is $1 - $2 per item, but not less than $2 total.

Example: You get to your resort and your room is not ready, so you leave your luggage with Bell Services. Diatribe alert! You tip the Bell Services person who brings your luggage to your room - not the one who removes it from your car, not the one with whom you first leave it. If, again, you've used Magical Express and let them handle your checked luggage, you will not need to be in the room to accept it; Disney takes care of tipping the Cast Members for that deliver; and if you have left any carry-on items with them and gone off to a park, those items will (well, should) be delivered to your room at the same time. If that's your scenario, you can tip when you hand over your luggage.

Example: SkyCaps. If you use Curbside Check-in at the airport, and even if your airline imposes a fee for that service, it is both customary and advisable to tip - minimum $1 per bag, not less than $2, there've been a couple of reports of especially good service when the tip has been $5 or $10 per bag. Conversely, you would NOT tip any agent inside the terminal who provides the same service.

Example: If you use Resort Airline Check-in for your return flight, the agents who check you in are the equivalent of the airport's curbside check-in SkyCaps, so you would tip accordingly.

--
You can OFFER a tip to anyone you feel has gone out of their way to provide outstanding service. Generally, they will refuse (although supposedly if you insist a certain number of times, they will accept). What you can do instead of tipping is to go to Guest Services at the appropriate park, or Management at the hotel/restaurant, and ask to fill out a compliment card. This goes into the Cast Member's file and is beneficial.

We did. We had excellent service :thumbsup2 , food was superb, we were served at the table (had our drinks refilled without asking, etc.).....so a tip was well-earned.

We did too. Our service was great! The server checked on us several times and even exchanged a desert that my daughter did not care for (we did not even ask, he just overheard her talking about it) he also refilled our drinks too.

I would just be careful when leaving a tip at a place like WPE - if at all possible, make sure your server is aware of it, even to the point of handing it to that person. Tipping at a counter service location - even one where you order at the counter but the food is delivered to you - is not typical, and the server may not realize in a timely enough manner that a tip has been left.

--

Just wanted to add that we tip anyone who delivers something to our room, not just the luggage. If we call to get extra pillows, blankets, bedrail, blender (DVC), we generally tip $2 for the extra delivery. Obviously if you get room service that is also a tipped service.

Just wondering.....the Pepper Market at Coronado Springs automatically adds a 10% gratuity when you exit to pay your bill. It is listed as a counter service restaurant on the dining plan. Is the 10% gratuity out of pocket or included in the dining plan?

If you pay cash with cash or credit card you pay the 10% service charge which I was told is for the kitchen. If you have the dining plan, it's included.

It was the only place I wished I'd had the dining plan this trip. Prices were the same, selection was the same, but I had to pay 10% more. We only ate there once because of the charge.

That was o.k. though. The food wasn't as good as I'd remembered. Luckily, Disney has lots of choices and we found good value at better restaurants. It looked like lots of other people did, too. There was no wait and every time we walked down that way the restaurant was never more than 1/2 full.

I bet it would be appreciated :) but no, it is not necessary to tip more than the 18% service charge.

I'm sure this has been posted before, so sorry for any repeats. How does tipping work while on the dining plan. I know if you do a dinner show then the tip is included. What about the other resturants? Do they automatically charge you a % or are you able to leave your own? There are just 2 of us.

Thank you all for any help.

Ash

Your receipt will show both an 18% and a 20% suggested gratuity. You write in the amount you wish to tip. You can pay the tip either in cash or use your KTTW card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter