Tipping Room Attendants & Room Service??

Kellygain8704

Earning My Ears
A few tipping questions:
We are sailing on the Magic for President's week (10 more days! woo-hoo)!
We have 2 adults/ 2 children in our stateroom.

I know that the standard tipping charge of $12/ day/ person includes tips for dining room servers.

Does this also include a tip for the stateroom host (NOT concierge)?If not, what is an appropriate tip for a stateroom host?

Also, what is an appropriate tip for room service? (a sample order might include a few mickey bars and some cookies)

Thank you in advance for any input!

The $12 per guest per night includes the stateroom host.

A normal tip for room service is $1-5 depending on the size of the order. For a couple Mickey bars and milk, I'd tip $1-2

A few tipping questions:
We are sailing on the Magic for President's week (10 more days! woo-hoo)!
We have 2 adults/ 2 children in our stateroom.

I know that the standard tipping charge of $12/ day/ person includes tips for dining room servers.

Does this also include a tip for the stateroom host (NOT concierge)?If not, what is an appropriate tip for a stateroom host?

Also, what is an appropriate tip for room service? (a sample order might include a few mickey bars and some cookies)

Thank you in advance for any input!

DCL's FAQ guidelines

Per Guest per cruise 3-Night 4-Night 7-Night
Dining Room Server $12.00 $16.00 $28.00
Dining Room Asst. Server $9.00 $12.00 $21.00
Dining Room Head Server $3.00 $4.00 $7.00
Stateroom Host/
Hostess $12.00 $16.00 $28.00
Dining Manager Your Discretion
Room Service Your Discretion
Spa & Salon Your Discretion

We minimally tip $1 for room service, but if it's a lot of food / items, then we tip more. If it's just a plate of cookies, then $1 is fine, but if we do cookies AND milk, then we'll tip $2. Or sandwiches, cheese trays, hot food - we always tip more.

DCL's FAQ guidelines

Stateroom Host/

Holy cow!! So for two ppl on 7 day cruise its $28 pp for server plus $21 pp for asst server plus $7pp for head plus $28 pp for stateroom host? So all that would be 2 ppl times 7 days per server/host? That cant be right I must be misunderstanding cause that would be over $1100.
:scared1:

DCL's FAQ guidelines

Stateroom Host/

Thanks, but this is where my confusion begins...

So, should I budget $84.00/ per person/ per night? ($28.00 +$21.00+ $7.00 +$28.00= $84.00) That would be a total of $2352.00 in tips for our family of 4 for a 7 night cruise. Is this correct?

Also, are the tips for The Asst. server, Asst. server, Head server, Stateroom Host ALSO charged to my onboard account, as I have heard that the Dining Room Server tip will be on the Magic?

Thanks again for any input!

So, should I budget $84.00/ per person/ per night? ($28.00 +$21.00+ $7.00 +$28.00= $84.00) That would be a total of $2352.00 in tips for our family of 4 for a 7 night cruise. Is this correct?

Also, are the tips for The Asst. server, Asst. server, Head server, Stateroom Host ALSO charged to my onboard account, as I have heard that the Dining Room Server tip will be on the Magic?

Im confused also and that seem crazy expensive, I understand they work for tips but your talking almost half of what I paid for two ppl for the 7 night cruise!

Holy cow!! So for two ppl on 7 day cruise its $28 pp for server plus $21 pp for asst server plus $7pp for head plus $28 pp for stateroom host? So all that would be 2 ppl times 7 days per server/host? That cant be right I must be misunderstanding cause that would be over $1100.

A 7-Day Cruise adds up to $168 in tips.

$28+$21+$7+$28 = $84/pp

$84/pp x 2 people = $168

It's my understanding that it's $12.00 per person, per day....do a 7 night cruise would be $84.00 per person, or $336.00 total.

The totals given are for the length of the cruise, not PER NIGHT.

So two ppl for 7 days would be $168.. Thats more do able and reasonable.. That about gave me a heart attack! LOL

If it was that much per person per night i would NOT be tipping at all thats insane. I believe it comes out to $12 total per person per night from what i have read

Those are the amounts for the whole trip - it can be confusing the way DCL puts that out - they give the recommended tips per guest for the whole trip.

It's ($28+$21+$7+$28) times number of guests in your cabin. So in your case that would be 2 guests at $84 in tips per person so a total of $168. In my case, we travel with 4, so for the same cruise, we would be tipping $336.

If you break it into a per-day cost, it's like giving your server and stateroom host $4 per day, your assistance server $3 per day, and your head server $1 per day. So about $8/day for food service tips which is about 15% of $53.00 if you were eating in restaurants at home for each of your meals.

$12 per person per night is what you should budget for the recommended gratuity. Disney will help you break it down:

Dining room server - $4 per person per night ($28 for a 7-night)
Assistant server - $3 per person per night ($21 for a 7-night)
Head server - $1 per person per night ($7 for a 7-night)
Stateroom host - $4 per person per night ($28 for a 7-night)
= $12 per person per night, or $84 per person for a 7-night

No. It's $84 per person for a 7-night cruise. Not $84 per night. A family of 4 would be $336 for a 7 day cruise.

Somewhat related-do you HAVE to give the ticket stubs to everyone if you pre-pay tips? If you pre-pay then they automatically get the money right? We did not give ours to our head server. Also we just left the envelope for our room host in the room. He was not around to give it to the last morning when we were leaving. He would know to look in it right? We added extra cash to it. I wanted to give it directly to him but we were in a hurry.

Somewhat related-do you HAVE to give the ticket stubs to everyone if you pre-pay tips? If you pre-pay then they automatically get the money right? We did not give ours to our head server. Also we just left the envelope for our room host in the room. He was not around to give it to the last morning when we were leaving. He would know to look in it right? We added extra cash to it. I wanted to give it directly to him but we were in a hurry.

Yes, if you add it to your shipboard account, they will get it even if they do not get the envelope from you.

OOPS, I see now!!!

$84.00 per person per cruise, not per day!!!

Just a case of "getting too close to the cruise" brain freeze and over thinking!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Kelly : )

Any insights for concierge tipping? Thats a new one for us this next cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter