Tipping Question - Medieval Times Restaurant

jessica52877

DIS Veteran
My friend and I were discussing about tipping and how much was appropriate. We went last year and I had not thought about a tip at all. Guess I thought of it more as a show.

We only had a $20 bill (it was cash only oddly enough) and so that is what we left. I saw the people next to us leave $2.

But how much would you recommend? Tickets seem to run around $40 per person but they are constantly running specials. Assuming that you should still tip on the price of what it would have cost, but how do you split the food bill vs the entertainment since it is all one price. There was no suggested amount anywhere. For 4 of us, it would have cost say $160, so 20% of that is alot in my opinion. And not sure what # to go off of.

I would love to hear others thoughts.

That's a good question. I think 20% on that type of meal is pretty high, and I know alot of people who don't tip at all there. Use your best judgement, if the server just plops food on your plate don't tip as much as if they went out of their way to bring you something special, etc.

There is no bringing something special at Medieval Times. You get what they serve, when they serve it.

We tip about $2pp.

There is no bringing something special at Medieval Times. You get what they serve, when they serve it.

We tip about $2pp.

Not to mention our drinks were only refilled once. I don't usually drink more then one soda/tea per meal but these cups were so small and filled with so much ice! I was dying of thirst!!

In the past we have had them bring us anything from straws to utensils, even had one help me when I was pregnant navigate the steep steps to the bathroom. On a normal visit, I agree $2pp would be fine

Believe it or not we just got home from Medevil Times a couple of hours ago, It was a town trip. Our server was great! We had 6 in our group and we gave him $20.

I used to serve at Dixie Stampede (which is a similar type experience). About 3-4$ per person was the norm. I would have some be really cheap and not tip or tip about 1$ a head. But luckily there were always the people who made it right by tipping $20 for a group of four. Think of it this way-say the ticket was forty before any discounts, (and tip should always calculated before discounts-the server is doing the same work no matter if you got a free ticket$), think of the meal as $20 and the show as $20. Tip as if you paid $20 for each persons meal which would be 3-4$. Hope that helped!

We tip at Medieval Times the same as at any other restaurant. That is if the service is good of course.

We tip at Medieval Times the same as at any other restaurant. That is if the service is good of course.

Do you tip on the entire price of your tickets then (not discounted)? I want to tip like I do anywhere else but was having trouble coming up with a menu price for the meal. It surely wasn't $50 per plate.

We were at Medieval Times a couple of months ago. There were 7 of us, and I think we left around a $40-$50 tip. Now that I think about it, it probably was too much. However, I can't believe someone left only $2!!! lol.

Our server was great and brought us extra stuff. It was my dgd 4th bday and he brought out a small cake (or maybe it was a cupcake) with a candle and led us all in singing Happy Bday.

What I hate tipping so much for is at the buffetts at WDW. When I go to buffetts at home, I always tip $1 per person. If the server did anything extra, then I would tip $1-$2 more. At the buffetts at WDW, I can see tipping more than $1 because they get your drinks for you. But I don't think they should get a full 15%. I always feel guilted into giving them 15% because they list what the tip "should" be.

$5 a person seems about right.I was just at Medieval Times earlier this month and we tipped $20 for two of us,I knew I was over tipping but only had a couple of twenty's and a five dollar bill so I just left the $20.

I just went here yestarday, and we tipped about 2 dollars per person. Now when I look back on it, I feel bad because our server did a pretty good job and carrying those huuugeee pitchers of soda should have been worth more tip. Now I feel bad :(

Do you tip on the entire price of your tickets then (not discounted)? I want to tip like I do anywhere else but was having trouble coming up with a menu price for the meal. It surely wasn't $50 per plate.
I think that they've gone up quite a bit since we've been. That aside we did tip based on our ticket prices but only the base tickets. There are several upgrades and that can really add up! I think that we paid around $150 for all of us the last time we went and tipped about $30. The service we received was pretty much the same as at any restaurant but it sounds like some people don't receive that. :confused3 If the service is somehow different I would adjust accordingly.

I compare it in a way to character meals at WDW. You are paying for mostly show at these places and not so much the food. Yet people still tip 15-20% on up. Plus we received way more service at Medieval Times than at many of the character buffets.

We usually tip $4-$5 per person, but the last time we tipped $20 for the 3 of us because my daughter spilled her drink and the waitress brought us extra napkins, a new drink and a new banner since my daughter's was wet.

Ha! I stumbled upon this thread and figured I'd give my two cents, as it were.
I've worked at the Dallas Castle for five years now. I love it, but things have been rough this year, so now I'm working on starting my own business. It is slow going, though.
Anyway, I am one of the best servers there. I give 100 percent to my guests. I see myself as a bit of an ambassador to the past. I find creative ways to engage my guests to get them to laugh and have a good time.
The goal is to leave there after one show with $100. I usually serve 30 people, so that breaks down to roughly $4 per person in tips. We have to "tip out" the kitchen and two or three servers that do not serve that show, but rather help out in the kitchen. That usually accounts for about $15. WE ONLY MAKE $2 an hour, so tipping is most definitely appreciated. There is no choice as far as food is concerned, but we do work MUCH harder than your typical server. If my guests are seated on the side of the arena furthest from the kitchen, I'll usually cover two miles by the time the show is over. One of my former co workers brought a pedometer one time. The new show is rolling out this fall, and I've heard that the drinking mugs will be larger, however, I've always brought out as much drink as my guests want. I don't like being thirsty, either!
I've been stiffed (not too much thankfully) and just a few weeks ago was tipped $130 by a party of nine. We don't force a gratuity on large groups like most other restaurants. We DO accept credit, although cash is always "king" since the credit card tips go directly to our paychecks. There IS an ATM machine on site, although if it was me and I didn't bring any I'd just go with plastic.
When people ask, which isn't very often, I tell them anywhere from $4 to $6 per person (including kids) would be great. Anything less I consider to be below me and a bit of an insult. Not to be snobby, mind you, but I am VERY good at what I do. I am a trained actor, and I put my heart and soul into every show.
Hope this helps!

I used to serve at Dixie Stampede (which is a similar type experience). About 3-4$ per person was the norm. I would have some be really cheap and not tip or tip about 1$ a head. But luckily there were always the people who made it right by tipping $20 for a group of four. Think of it this way-say the ticket was forty before any discounts, (and tip should always calculated before discounts-the server is doing the same work no matter if you got a free ticket$), think of the meal as $20 and the show as $20. Tip as if you paid $20 for each persons meal which would be 3-4$. Hope that helped!

Oooh! We LOVED the DS in Branson! :)

We're from CA, where servers have to be paid the higher-than-federal minimum wage and my father was HORRIFIED when her learned that the places we went on that trip paid their servers so little. He went on a mad tipping spree through Missouri, it was super cute. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter