Tipping concierge ?

DH and I sailed concierge last month on the Dream (4-night itinerary). What we ended up doing was looking at what DCL recommends for the other tipped positions on the ship and then arriving at an amount based on how much we used each person's services. Tips for the concierge hosts are divided evenly among the three-person team. DH and I decided on $15/person/day, or $120 total. We were regulars at the early cocktail reception and typically had two drinks apiece. We tipped the bartender $40 (cash). We stopped in the lounge at least twice per day for snacks, coffee, and bottled water, so we tipped the woman who was in charge of food and beverages $20 (also cash). We asked for two extra tip envelopes in the concierge lounge and used them for the bartender and the woman who took care of the food. We just crossed out "Server" and wrote the names of the people we were tipping.

I agree with you 100%. We tipped the bartender on the very first day during our meet and greet with concierge. We were taken good care of the entire cruise. I also think most people don't think of tipping the beverage/snack people. I also did this at the beginning and more during the cruise. I received from Bosco (India) on the Fantasy a huge fresh premium fruit plate and also a plate of desserts in my room every day. My friends in other concierge rooms did not get anything other than the 1st day fruit basket. Now I could have gone to the lounge to get some of these items but some of the fruits/desserts were not available in the lounge. So I feel I was treated extra special. Bosco even said when he Skyped his wife he told them about the nicest couple he had. Heck I thought he was very nice and would have loved to take him home with me.

I didn't use the concierge hosts that much, but they were able to cancel some tastings & reservations for me the day of without any hassle. Also I put in a special request that I really didn't think could be handled--but they did handle it. I was overly impressed and tipped accordingly. AND I was also told by Kamesha that they do not receive a salary--they work strictly for tips and all tips are split amongst them.

Not per day. For the whole week. We and others did between $75 and $100 per staff member for the whole week.

also think most people don't think of tipping the beverage/snack people. I also did this at the beginning and more during the cruise

This is a good idea - now when exactly do you give the tip to the beverage/snack people if you are going to tip them during the cruise? Do you give a tip each time you go to the lounge? Do you hand them a tip when you are leaving? Do you give a tip to the concierge host if he/she brings a snack to your room? We are doing our very first cruise ever in August and so this is all new to me.

also think most people don't think of tipping the beverage/snack people. I also did this at the beginning and more during the cruise

This is a good idea - now when exactly do you give the tip to the beverage/snack people if you are going to tip them during the cruise? Do you give a tip each time you go to the lounge? Do you hand them a tip when you are leaving? Do you give a tip to the concierge host if he/she brings a snack to your room? We are doing our very first cruise ever in August and so this is all new to me.

I would be interested in knowing this since it wasn't answered. How do you tip? Out in the open? In an envelope? Shake hands and pass the tip on that way? Is there a tip jar? The whole thing is confusing.

We gave initial tips to the food/beverage team as we were in the concierge lounge meeting with the concierge hosts for the first time. But as we met new staff on the other days we tipped them as we met them. The "bartender" we tipped when she brought over the 1st drinks. We tipped her $40 for a 7 day cruise, but ended up giving her more over the duration of the cruise. The food person we tipped the first day as well as the last day based on what they did for us. Bosco from India had a fresh fruit/dessert plate in my room everyday! Talked to my neighbors, they got nothing. So they do appreciate the recognition. We ended up tipping the food staff between $30-$50 each for the 7 day.

Oh, we just folded the money and handed it right to them, no envelope. Bosco offered a handshake for hubby and a hug for me. Some of the others were just thank you. Nothing sneaky, nothing blatently open either.

I would be interested in knowing this since it wasn't answered. How do you tip? Out in the open? In an envelope? Shake hands and pass the tip on that way? Is there a tip jar? The whole thing is confusing.

We tipped everyone just once, at the end of the cruise. We were given an envelope for the concierge hosts, and we asked for two extras in the lounge for the bartender and the woman in charge of food/beverages. They said "Server" on the front, but we crossed that out and wrote the names of the people we were tipping. We charged the concierge hosts' tips to our onboard account (via the form at the bottom of the letter that was left in our room) and tipped the other concierge staff in cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter