Tipping - cash vs. guest services

Cabin8538

Earning My Ears
I have heard that you can actually leave a cash tip for your servers and stewards. Does anyone know if the servers and stewards prefer cash or do they prefer for you to pay through guest services? Last time we just sent them through guest services.

Not sure what they prefer, but definitely know they take cash. That's what we gave.

We give cash..that way, they have it to spend, immediately for any days off in the ports etc.

From my 5/15 cruise we did guest services but one of the room attendants mentioned to someone in my party that cash is best because they usually have to wait to receive the tips from guest services.

Had I known that I would have done the cash to everyone

Thanks everyone. I think I will do cash next time. . . instant gratification for both of us!

Someone posted a link (a long time ago) to a site that had envelopes you could print out for Mousekeeping tips. I forgot to save it in my favorites. Does anyone still have it?

We always do cash and phone cards. We've also gotten great big smiles and many thank yous so I know they like cash!

Yes, cash is always best for them, and phone cards are certainly a welcome extra. Thanks. Nat:Pinkbounc

Mary ~ Those are cute. You wouldn't happen to have the site for the envelopes too, would you?

we gave cash.......i just like knowing that they're actually getting what i'm giving them.....what can i say, i don't trust the system to get them their tips....if i give them cash then i know for sure...

i gave it to them in the little envelopes provided by DCL, but when i handed it to them, i mentioned that it was cash inside not the little receipts...

I also assume that there are some income tax "advantages" for cash tips....

I stand to be corrected but I was under the impression that because they're on a Panama flagged ship there is no income tax so whatever you give them is their's tax free.

Cheers,
Grumbo

I actually asked our server this question.....He said that if you charge thru DCL, they really do get the full amount that you charge. Whether or not there is a tax issue depends on your home country and how honest you are. The Bahamas (where the ships are registered) has no income tax...they pay no US taxes. Some pay taxes in their home countries.

If tips are charged, they receive a check every 2 weeks. This is easy for them to send home or keep track of....no risk of losing it or whatever. They have very few expenses--laundry of personal clothing. He said there are two types of cast members--those who party while in port and those who sleep and send their money home!

We sort of "split the difference." I charge the "suggested" amount and put the extra amount in the envelope in cash.

I just tried the posted link and it did't work. You can go to the Disney Tips thread and type in "Mousekeeping" in the search engine at the bottom. On about the second thread down, you will find a thread to access.

You will find that most servers spend a little of their hard-earned cash on magic tricks and accessories for their guests. Our DD always stocked up on various items for the children from UK, and also bought musical instruments to hand out in the tropical parade to the little ones to play. There is a brilliant magic trick shop in Key West (I think in Duval St), that the children may be interested in visiting. Nat:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter