Timing question

Discussion in 'Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa' started by Tracy Pratt, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Tracy Pratt

Tracy Pratt Earning My Ears

We have decided to book the Paradise Cove Luau. Now that we aren't limited to only a Wednesday or Saturday with Aulani I'm wondering if we could go on the day we go to Pearl Harbor. Our tickets for Pearl Harbor are at 8am on a Sunday. We plan on stopping at the swap meet after. Is it feasible to do that and be back to Aulani by 4 to get ready for the luaua without rushing to much?

2. Tracy Pratt

:PAnyone? Bueller, bueller?

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. cgattis

cgattis DIS Veteran

Well, I haven't been yet, but we're doing Paradise Cove also, and decided against doing it on our PH day (planning to go at 8 also--maybe we can carpool lol). Although I did think it might be easier to rush back and get cleaned up than to drag ourselves out of the lazy river on a resort-only day!! Haha Ultimately I just didn't want to feel rushed. My DD15 wigs out if she doesn't have adequate time--you know, an hour plus--to work on her hair... ;)

Tracy Pratt likes this.
  5. alohamom

alohamom DIS Veteran

I think you would be ok so long as there are no accidents coming back on the highway. I think the swap meet is only open till 3 anyway so you have an hour to get back but that might be a busy busy day

nkereina likes this.
  6. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

I would say it's feasible. We had a 9:15am Pearl Harbor time, finished up there around 12pm (the museums are at your leisure), and then went to the Swap Meet for about an hour, which we didn't feel we needed anymore time there. Its about a 30 minute drive back to Aulani from there. Agree with PP, unless there's an accident, you should be back with enough time. No rush hour traffic to contend with on a Sunday.

I also agree with PP that it will be a busy day. You'll be up early to get to Pearl Harbor. What worked best for us was to make no evening plans on our sightseeing days so that we weren't pressed for time and we could keep our options open. On a few days, we were pretty tired so we just came back to Aulani and ate something there and relaxed.

If you do the luau a different night, maybe check out Anna Miller's after the Swap Meet. Its close to there, very cheap prices, diner style. I learned about it from the Dis Unplugged podcast and it was a good stop for us.

7. nkereina

LOL! I will say that on our resort days, since we were out at the pool/beach by 9ish in the morning, by 3-4pm we were ready to come in and do something else. I was anxious to shower and get cleaned up for a nice dinner somewhere. We did a luau in Maui on the evening of a resort day for us, and it worked out well for us.

8. Tracy Pratt

Only some of our group will be going to Pearl Harbor. Two of my daughters and my two granddaughters will be staying at the resort and my husband, son in law, my other daughter, and my parents will be at Pearl Harbor. I would be less inclined to do the Luau on the same day if the little ones were coming with us. Thanks for all the advise!

9. Vernie822

Vernie822 DIS Veteran

We did Pearl Harbor at 8 AM. I want to say we were out of there before noon, we did the swap meet (maybe 1 hour) and then drove back and had a 1 pm-ish lunch. I think you'd have plenty of time.

Tracy Pratt likes this.
  10. KBinCO

KBinCO DIS Veteran

It's probably fine if you don't have kids... but even without kids, it's a long day no matter what. I don't doubt you could make it back, but after an early start to the day, you may want to relax and not shuffle off to another 3.5 hour event.

nkereina likes this.
  11. nkereina

Exactly. I'm not sure how late the luau goes, but keep in mind you'll probably be getting up around 5:30am-ish in order to get ready, have a bite to eat, and commute to Pearl Harbor before 8am. We came from the East Coast and were up by 5-5:30am for our first few days while adjusting to the time difference, and we were ready to crash by 8-9pm on those nights.