Time to Buy US $?

Always a guessing game. I wonder what will happen once Biden is in office. I kept saying I would buy some USD if it hits $0.80, and I'm going to stick to that plan.

Here's a question though. How do we go about buying US $ right now? I ususally go to a currency exchange place nearby. Are they even open during the shutdown?

I could probably do it through the bank I bank with but I get a better rate at the currency exchange.

Here's a question though. How do we go about buying US $ right now? I ususally go to a currency exchange place nearby. Are they even open during the shutdown?

I could probably do it through the bank I bank with but I get a better rate at the currency exchange.
Well, you could do it on line. Currency Exchange has an online work around, as well. It may just depend on what company owns the one you patronize. Check out if they have on line otherwise you'll have to go through your bank.

I have a US savings account through RBC so I can just transfer money.

You won’t get as good of a rate. But you can open a US $ bank account and transfer money. That’s what I do.

I have a US $ account with both Tangerine (formerly ING) and TD Bank. Then US $ visa card with TD Bank. Get slightly better rate buying with Tangerine, and nominally better interest rate with Tangerine. I pay an annual fee for the TD US $ visa. But if I travel min x2 to the US in a year, works best for me. Also handy to pay my WDW $200 deposit then the balance with the visa. Sure there are better systems out there.

ps avoid the Home Trust US $ visa. I've had at least 8 fraudulent charges to it this past year and had to dispute each one. No one has time for that crazy. Sounds like Home Trust hacked with mass visa fraud.

I have a US $ account with both Tangerine (formerly ING) and TD Bank. Then US $ visa card with TD Bank. Get slightly better rate buying with Tangerine, and nominally better interest rate with Tangerine. I pay an annual fee for the TD US $ visa. But if I travel min x2 to the US in a year, works best for me. Also handy to pay my WDW $200 deposit then the balance with the visa. Sure there are better systems out there.

ps avoid the Home Trust US $ visa. I've had at least 8 fraudulent charges to it this past year and had to dispute each one. No one has time for that crazy. Sounds like Home Trust hacked with mass visa fraud.

I am surprised to hear your issues about the Home Trust US$ VISA. I also have this card, use it as my main vacation card (so not a lot of use right now but last year and the year before, yes). In this time I have had a single fraudulent transaction (from Cali, must have stemmed from a vacay to DL last February) which they immediately refunded with new card sent once I noticed it and alerted them. Prior to this they did suspend my card once due to "off" transactions (which were actually mine lol) and I've been very happy with their security. It's funny how anecdotal reports can be so polarizing.

I don't see that there was a breach specifically but I do see that there was an issue with Amazon Marketplace earlier this year (from about Feb-April) in which the VISAs could be easily used therein due to Amazon not requiring the security code. The theory was that HT suffered a BIN attack (basically, they know VISAs/HTs unique first 6 numbers and then they just randomly generate the rest until a number comes up that works - without needing a security code, this becomes just a waiting game).

Oh no, sorry you have had such trouble with the HomeTrust card! I've had one for years, ever since the Amazon no for-ex card was discontinued and so far I have had zero issues. I only ever use it for purchases that are in US$ or for when we are on vacation, everything else goes on my CIBC MC.

Loonie rises to .79 cents. If you have money set aside for a future vacation, now is the time to watch the dollar.
I transfer money to my USD account every payday to pay for my vacation. The bank charges higher fees than some other places but by putting aside the money throughout the year I find I get a decent rate.

Dollar cost averaging! :thumbsup2
Yes that is part of the idea. The other part is to arrive in Florida with USD in hand for shopping, groceries and souvenirs. Vacations can be expensive but it is comforting managing the money without guessing how big the credit card bill will be when you return to Canada.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter