We bought our 4 day (with an extra free day = 5days) park hopper through UT. We will be in the parks later this week. We have now decided to go again the first week of December so we are going to upgrade to AP (without water park option). We bought our tix on 10/6/2018 so according to my math using the info on this thread our upgrade cost should be as follows:

$952.11 AP w/tax
$500.55 Disney price early 2018 5 day park hopper

$451.56 to upgrade each ticket

1. Please lmk if this is correct.
2.Also does it matter what day I upgrade while I am at the parks? Thanks for your help!!
1. If you looked up those prices, your numbers are correct.
2. No. But the earlier in the trip you do the upgrade, the earlier you can start getting the AP perks.

Last edited:
Our AP's will be expiring August 4 and I'd like to take advantage of free dining if it makes financial sense. I crunched the numbers and it seems like a no brainer - does this plan make sense?

- Book free dining offer with 5 day park hoppers for August 5-10
- Apply ticket cost of hoppers to AP renewal at some point during trip
- Get free meals!

I spoke to a cast member who confirmed we could definitely upgrade to AP from the hoppers as long as I did it before the last day of our trip. Are there any drawbacks to this plan? Thank you!

Upgrading to AP Question:

I bought a 7 days for the price of 5 DVC special ticket last year when they had the sale (i think around feb 2018). The special thing about this ticket was that the 7 days had to be used within 6 months, NOT within 14 days or whatever the rules were with most tickets at that time. I used 6 of the 7 days this past December. In MDE i now have tickets for both me and my husband with 1 ticket day remaining that expires 6/7/19. I am contemplating a short trip in April to use this last ticket day. It also shows in MDE that the value of the ticket towards upgrade is $370.00 (pretty low since I know i paid more than that, but whatever, thats a different issue). If i upgraded this ticket, would they date my AP back to the first ticket day of use on 12/5/18? Or would they allow me to do it From April 26 2019-April 26 2020, as that is the day I would be upgrading. I know normally they would date it back, but since these ticket days had a 6 month expiration, i was thinking perhaps it would almost be treated like a single ticket I have left?

Our AP's will be expiring August 4 and I'd like to take advantage of free dining if it makes financial sense. I crunched the numbers and it seems like a no brainer - does this plan make sense?

- Book free dining offer with 5 day park hoppers for August 5-10
- Apply ticket cost of hoppers to AP renewal at some point during trip
- Get free meals!

I spoke to a cast member who confirmed we could definitely upgrade to AP from the hoppers as long as I did it before the last day of our trip. Are there any drawbacks to this plan? Thank you!
That’ll work just fine!

Upgrading to AP Question:

I bought a 7 days for the price of 5 DVC special ticket last year when they had the sale (i think around feb 2018). The special thing about this ticket was that the 7 days had to be used within 6 months, NOT within 14 days or whatever the rules were with most tickets at that time. I used 6 of the 7 days this past December. In MDE i now have tickets for both me and my husband with 1 ticket day remaining that expires 6/7/19. I am contemplating a short trip in April to use this last ticket day. It also shows in MDE that the value of the ticket towards upgrade is $370.00 (pretty low since I know i paid more than that, but whatever, thats a different issue).
1. If i upgraded this ticket, would they date my AP back to the first ticket day of use on 12/5/18?
2. Or would they allow me to do it From April 26 2019-April 26 2020, as that is the day I would be upgrading.
I know normally they would date it back, but since these ticket days had a 6 month expiration,
3. i was thinking perhaps it would almost be treated like a single ticket I have left?
1. Yes.
2. Nope.
3. “Upgrading” means making it as though you had bought and used the “new” ticket from the start.

I finally took a look at the AP info of this post...am I thinking about this right? My wife and I are planning multiple trips to WDW in 2020 and were going to purchase tickets from a reseller and bridge to AP when we arrived late February 2020. However, there is a very likely possibility that the AP prices will rise 2-3 times before now and then; also, the tickets from a reseller will most likely go up at least once before we can purchase 2020 tickets. Why would I not just purchase AP certificates (since they expire in 2030) now, directly from WDW? Also, why does the strategy of purchasing AP certificates in bulk (beyond large upfront cost) not show up often as a strategy to saving money (especially if not planning to have AP's every year)?

I finally took a look at the AP info of this post...am I thinking about this right? My wife and I are planning multiple trips to WDW in 2020 and were going to purchase tickets from a reseller and bridge to AP when we arrived late February 2020. However, there is a very likely possibility that the AP prices will rise 2-3 times before now and then; also, the tickets from a reseller will most likely go up at least once before we can purchase 2020 tickets. Why would I not just purchase AP certificates (since they expire in 2030) now, directly from WDW? Also, why does the strategy of purchasing AP certificates in bulk (beyond large upfront cost) not show up often as a strategy to saving money (especially if not planning to have AP's every year)?
You can buy AP certificates now to use in 2020 & beyond. And you can buy “extras” if you like.
Most folks don’t want to just tie up many thousands of dollars in advance AP costs.
Their plans might change and they might want the cash for other things. Ya never know.

You can buy AP certificates now to use in 2020 & beyond. And you can buy “extras” if you like.
Most folks don’t want to just tie up many thousands of dollars in advance AP costs.
Their plans might change and they might want the cash for other things. Ya never know.

Thank you...I'd have purchased prior to the October increase if I'd paid better attention!

I have some MYW tickets bought from UT before 2016 and they are not RFID so I am not able add them to MDE in their current form. I would like to exchange them in person on my next trip to Disney for tickets that I can link and make FP for my kids for a future trip. I am going down next month. Will I be able to do this even with the new ticketing system and will they remain tickets without an expiration date? Or will they have to be turned into a different type of ticket with the new dated system?

I have some MYW tickets bought from UT before 2016 and they are not RFID so I am not able add them to MDE in their current form. I would like to exchange them in person on my next trip to Disney for tickets that I can link and make FP for my kids for a future trip. I am going down next month. Will I be able to do this even with the new ticketing system and will they remain tickets without an expiration date? Or will they have to be turned into a different type of ticket with the new dated system?
Ask nicely if the tickets will stay without an expiration date BEFORE the CM does the conversion. The CM may have an option.

Ask nicely if the tickets will stay without an expiration date BEFORE the CM does the conversion. The CM may have an option.
Thanks, will do.
If they can not, I guess I can either keep them as is but not be able to book FP ahead of time. Or exchange them anyways and if we don’t use them by expiration date - have a credit for future tickets.

What are your current tickets in MDE that you are using for next month? Do they have an expiration date or different number of days compared to the UT tickets in question?

What are your current tickets in MDE that you are using for next month? Do they have an expiration date or different number of days compared to the UT tickets in question?
I only have one MYW ticket in my MDE account and it was from UT and the expiration date is 2030. But it was one that I had bought before expiration dates were added to tickets. Next month just my husband and I are going to Disney and we both have APs. These tickets that i want to exchange would be for my kids to use a year or two from now. I am not sure when they will be able to go with us again due to their schedules. But I would like to have tickets that I can make FP for them in advance for when they do decide to go. That’s why I would like to exchange them next month when I am there.

I only have one MYW ticket in my MDE account and it was from UT and the expiration date is 2030. But it was one that I had bought before expiration dates were added to tickets. Next month just my husband and I are going to Disney and we both have APs. These tickets that i want to exchange would be for my kids to use a year or two from now. I am not sure when they will be able to go with us again due to their schedules. But I would like to have tickets that I can make FP for them in advance for when they do decide to go. That’s why I would like to exchange them next month when I am there.
Gotcha! I was going to say if they were equivalent you could secure the FP+ ahead of time with what you had in the account, had the UT tickets added and prioritized first (wouldn't have mattered if they had expiration now), and then used them while saving the other tickets.

Didn't realize you have APs and only one 2030 ticket. NVM. Good luck, hope the CM can get them in the system with no expiration!

I have some MYW tickets bought from UT before 2016 and they are not RFID so I am not able add them to MDE in their current form. I would like to exchange them in person on my next trip to Disney for tickets that I can link and make FP for my kids for a future trip.

Have you tried linking them to MDE? You should be able to link any MYW tickets from this decade, regardless of whether the physical media is RFID or not; early MYW tickets from prior to maybe 2006 may be more challenging to link. Unless your tickets are that old, there shouldn't be need to exchange the tickets just to link to MDE for FP+. If you simply want a physical ticket for the girls to use, you can get that when you arrive for their future visit.

Enjoy your vacation!

Have you tried linking them to MDE? You should be able to link any MYW tickets from this decade, regardless of whether the physical media is RFID or not; early MYW tickets from prior to maybe 2006 may be more challenging to link. Unless your tickets are that old, there shouldn't be need to exchange the tickets just to link to MDE for FP+. If you simply want a physical ticket for the girls to use, you can get that when you arrive for their future visit.

Enjoy your vacation!
I have tried linking them and it doesn’t work. I thought was because they are the paper type tickets. They are old but not prior to 2006. I would have to check the date on them but I think they were bought in 2012 or 2013.

Gotcha! I was going to say if they were equivalent you could secure the FP+ ahead of time with what you had in the account, had the UT tickets added and prioritized first (wouldn't have mattered if they had expiration now), and then used them while saving the other tickets.

Didn't realize you have APs and only one 2030 ticket. NVM. Good luck, hope the CM can get them in the system with no expiration!
Thanks anyways. Last year I brought one of the tickets with me to exchange. I didn’t want to bring more until I was sure that it would work and not have them turned into tickets with one year expiration. That’s how I managed to have one in my MDE account. I’ll bring them with me and give it a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!