Ticket Upgrade to AP & $99 promo

njchris

DIS Veteran
Ok, I've got a couple of questions. A friend of mine wants to get a one day ticket this Friday and then upgrade to AP, then get a $99 promo ticket for 3 of his visiting friends.

1 - I assume he will need to go into the park first, activating his 1 day ticket. Can he upgrade in the app to Socal AP or does he have to go to the ticket booth.
2- If he upgrades with app, can he leave the park and get back in back even if this Friday is a blackout date?
3 - Can he get the $99 promo right away for his friends the same day he upgrades to AP? (Sequence of events is he buys 1 day park hopper, goes in park to activate it, upgrades ticket. Leaves park to go to ticket booth with friends to get 3 $99 promo tickets.

If he purchases a SoCal Select at the ticket booth, as opposed to purchasing a one-day ticket, they will give him a block-out day ticket. He should then be able to use his pass to purchase the “bring-a-friend” tickets. The reason people usually purchase 2-5 day tickets and upgrade is if they are there for multiple blocked days on their desired pass... No need to go through the trouble of that for one day.

So they give a block-out day ticket if he buys an AP on a blocked out day?

This link seems to say they don't have those anymore:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/annual-passes/blockout-day-ticket/
That link is referencing the discounted tickets you could purchase to attend the park on a blocked-out day anytime during the year. Those tickets are no longer available. That’s different than the ones you get when you buy an AP.

He should just buy the AP to begin with.

There has been some debate about whether they would still issue a blockout ticket for the day of AP purchase this summer. In another thread it sounded like people were told they would need to buy one of the AP Bring A Friend tickets for themselves rather than being granted park admission for the day the purchased/activated/upgraded to the AP as has been done in the past.

There has been some debate about whether they would still issue a blockout ticket for the day of AP purchase this summer. In another thread it sounded like people were told they would need to buy one of the AP Bring A Friend tickets for themselves rather than being granted park admission for the day the purchased/activated/upgraded to the AP as has been done in the past.
I saw people who bought Deluxe passes get into DL with a day pass last week - when Deluxe was still blocked out. It was a bit of a thing because they were lined up in two different lines, and the girl in our line didn’t have the special pass, just the Deluxe, and the rest of her group had already gone in... so that’s why I know for sure what the situation was!

But they did have a pass for DL even though it was a blockout day. Of course, that could have been a special circumstance or something, but they do still exist.

I saw people who bought Deluxe passes get into DL with a day pass last week - when Deluxe was still blocked out. It was a bit of a thing because they were lined up in two different lines, and the girl in our line didn’t have the special pass, just the Deluxe, and the rest of her group had already gone in... so that’s why I know for sure what the situation was!

But they did have a pass for DL even though it was a blockout day. Of course, that could have been a special circumstance or something, but they do still exist.

Good to know! The other thread was earlier in the summer and it wasn't really clear how much was speculation vs. actual experience so better to have solid info!

This is not correct. They will not issue you a blockout pass if you upgrade to a Flex, but they do still issue blockout passes for the other APs. Make sure you are upgrading when you are done in the parks or you are sure there are reservations available. If you upgrade through the app or a ticket booth, you will have to immediately make reservations for that day to re-enter the parks. Ticket booth CMs are unable to make reservations for you.
FYI: The above quote from another thread states that the only pass that apparently doesn't qualify for the same day of purchase blockout ticket is the new Flex Pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter