Ticket Expiration?

scoopmorgan

DIS Veteran
I know the rates will be going up with the new Star Wars Land coming next year. Do Disneyland tickets expire? If I bought some this year (hopefully before the rates go up) would they be valid in Fall 2019?

Tickets do have an expiration date, although most reports indicate that you can apply the value of that ticket to the purchase of a new one. The expiration dates are printed on the ticket themselves and it depends on when you buy them and where you buy them, so there really isn't a single answer/date. Your best bet is to contact the seller before you purchase the ticket to find out the expiration date of the tickets you're considering purchasing.

Last edited:

Was my impression is that they are all non-refundable and non-transferable.

I just bought mine for our July 2019 trip thru the Disney website.
The tickets through them are valid till 31 December 2019, first use by then.
All other resellers currently have an expiry date of 2018 on their tickets.

I can attest to the fact that you can use an expired ticket's previous value toward the value of a new ticket. We had special priced convention tickets that we weren't able to use. I was able to take those expired tickets to the ticket booth (the only downside was the wait was so long) and put them toward the purchase of a new ticket. I just had to pay the difference.

Was my impression is that they are all non-refundable and non-transferable.
I think most tickets are non-refundable (there might be a few instances where a guest gets some pixie dust and is allowed to "return" tickets, but those are very rare). However, I think you can "transfer" (meaning give it to someone else) a ticket that has not yet been used. They become non-transferable after they've been used the first time.

All other resellers currently have an expiry date of 2018 on their tickets.
Some of the ones from Target.com say they have a January 13, 2020 expiration date, so it might depend on the re-seller, batch, delivery method, etc.

Disney has announced that tiered pricing on multi day tickets will be coming before the end of the year. So, even if you purchase tickets now to use in 2019, it is very likely that those tickets would have to be upgraded if you plan to use them on anything other than a value day. I don't know exactly how tiered pricing will work (obviously) so this is just speculation, but something to think about.

Some of the ones from Target.com say they have a January 13, 2020 expiration date, so it might depend on the re-seller, batch, delivery method, etc.

Yes, sorry - I should have said 'all the ones I checked' - I looked at the usual ones suggested here: LMT, Getaway, Ares etc... All that I looked at including the ones I normally buy from here in Australia all had an expiry of 2018 and I wanted a definite expiry that I could see clearly printed as being end of 2019 so I went direct with Disney. I haven't bought direct from them before but just wanted a little extra security this time since I'm buying so far ahead and haven't even booked the plane / hotel yet!

Disney has announced that tiered pricing on multi day tickets will be coming before the end of the year. So, even if you purchase tickets now to use in 2019, it is very likely that those tickets would have to be upgraded if you plan to use them on anything other than a value day. I don't know exactly how tiered pricing will work (obviously) so this is just speculation, but something to think about.

This is an interesting thought - I am definitely thinking that they will honour the tickets I have bought - a 3 day hopper with no such restriction under the conditions / terms at the time I bought the tickets. Given they are valid till end of 2019 I would have thought they have to honour them as they are. However, I'm sure there's some fine print on there about 'subject to change' etc.. but fingers crossed.
It's a little bit like the 'old' photo-pass they had before they revised it to the current one. I bought the voucher the day they discontinued it. I didn't use it till 6 -8 months after they had discontinued it but it was accepted with no issue.
You make an interesting point though - will have to wait and see : )

... I think you can "transfer" (meaning give it to someone else) a ticket that has not yet been used. They become non-transferable after they've been used the first time...

Yes, it has always been possible to gift tickets. But "transfer" in the sense of sharing a ticket (as in the case of the illegal ticket scammers who used to target people just outside the parks by selling single days of multi-day tickets) is not allowed. That is a major reason Disney started attaching photos to all tickets to make sure that the same person uses the same ticket for each park entry.

I'm fairly confident in saying no. Multi day tickets bought before any multi day tier pricing is implemented will not be subject to tier pricing as long as they are not expired.

The reason for my confidence: When tier pricing was introduced for single day tickets, any existing single day tickets without tier designation were still valid any day. And when Disney got rid of the Premium pass, any Premium voucher still valid was exchanged for the most equivalent pass rather than the one closest in price (so given a Sig+ instead of a Sig).

As long as a ticket media is valid, Disney is still going to honor it. Heck, Disney still takes entry tickets from decades ago in exchange for a current ticket despite different face values because they don't have expirations.

I'm fairly confident in saying no. Multi day tickets bought before any multi day tier pricing is implemented will not be subject to tier pricing as long as they are not expired.

The reason for my confidence: When tier pricing was introduced for single day tickets, any existing single day tickets without tier designation were still valid any day. And when Disney got rid of the Premium pass, any Premium voucher still valid was exchanged for the most equivalent pass rather than the one closest in price (so given a Sig+ instead of a Sig).

As long as a ticket media is valid, Disney is still going to honor it. Heck, Disney still takes entry tickets from decades ago in exchange for a current ticket despite different face values because they don't have expirations.

I hope you're right!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter